The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how often do you film yourself riding?

I finally had a friend out to the barn with me today so I jumped at the chance to have her record me. I've never seen myself ride and let me say...it was totally eye opening. All the things my instructors have said about me I'm going...OMG yes, yes I totally do that! Why do I do that? Holy CRAP, I need to fix that ASAP!

So I'm just curious how often you try to record yourself to track progress? I only ride 1-2 times per week normally so I'm thinking I'll try and do it again in 3-4 months to work on the issues I saw and see if I fixed them.

On a side note, one thing I was glad to see is that I didn't look like a giant on top of the horse. But that is the least of my worries! LOL

Back when I was at home my sister acted like my own personal photographer. She would follow me around every time I rode and take pictures and videos. She's so good at taking pics at just the right moment and her videos are fantastic. It was great.

Well now I'm away at school and haven't seen myself ride in over a year. I did have a friend come out a few months back and take a couple videos and I was pretty much horrified. Obviously using my shadow to see how I look isn't working too well. .

Luckily I'm heading home tomorrow for a LONG break and the horsey will be following shortly after. Can't wait to have my photographer back. Although we'll probably do a role reversal. She's taking my horse on while I finish my last two semesters so I'm sure I'll be out there in the middle of the arena getting some long awaited footage of her riding .

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Whenever my self esteem gets to high I film myself seriously though I take a camcorder to most lessons just in case I have an opportunity to film myself. I learn so much by watching the vids. My goal would be monthly but it doesn't happen that often it seems but I do usually get something on film every couple of months or so. I find it to be a great learning tool even if it is almost painful to watch sometimes
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Ideally, once or twice a month -- maybe more often as show season approaches.

I would have to actually ride to figure that out so I am no good to you. I do film DD a couple times a month though
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

As often as possible. For me, watching myself on video is so helpful and eye opening. It also helps me realize that some things my horse does aren't so bad, fast, or scary - they just feel that way sometimes while riding.

FWIW, I use a little Mino FlipVideo camera - I turn it on and prop it on a fence or jump (I don't use the jumps) or mounting block and I ride away. Or when I am feeling more motivated, I'll bring my "real" camcorder, set it up and ride.

When I showed all by myself with no trainer...mom video taped a few warm up jumps, I watched the video, critique, did a few more jumps and headed to the arena. She video taped my round--i watch the 1st round, critique myself and then head in for the next round and watched that video immediately after too (and so on). I found this EXTREMELY helpful. Make sure your horse is calm though before you start walking around holding an expensive video camera

When I started riding with a trainer I didn't watch every round for time's sake since she offered advice, but I would occasionally do my old method of watching. Now that I'm away at college finding someone to video me is difficult I really wish I had someone to video my lessons on the days when dear trainer and I disagree on certain things

once a month or less, it's good to see what's going on but you can over do it

I err film pretty much every time I ride! I'm under 18 so the mom is almost always there and she actually watches me ride and such so it works out. When my horse wasn't lame, I'd just do monthly clinics so watching the videos really helped me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

almost never!

this is probably because i don't own a camera, and i rarely have a buddy to come to the barn with me and act as videographer. i do agree that it's a helpful tool though!

The last time I tried to get my friend to videotape me, most of the video was of the arena ground! My parents never watch me ride, so that doesn't help either. So I'd say I've been videotaped riding twice in 5yrs(once with my friend and once at a horse show)!! I really show get videos a me riding more often...

About once a month... and all shows! My hubby is kind enough to come out to the barn about once a month and he takes pics and video clips for me. I learn best if I can see what the heck I'm doing!

And he's come to all but one of my shows. And each time he takes a few candid pics but videos all of my rounds.

He really doesn't mind and likes to see the "pony" and pet and feed him treats. I usually have him meet me out there about when I'm getting on and then he leaves shortly after I'm done riding. So he's only there about an hour at the most. But I'm lucky he supports my riding and likes to be "partially" involved.

I think it's harder when you "take" someone with you and then they are there for a few hours.

Very rarely. Probably less often than Paris Hilton does.

Only one of us should probably do it more often.

yea I don't often get to drag friends out the the barn. I understand that it can be pretty boring to watch because people who don't ride often think "whats so hard about going around in circles?" LOL But it was definitely a beneficial thing. I'm doing things I wasn't even aware I did because no one has EVER told me, like rounding my back after jumps. But it was nice to see in other ways, I didn't look as bad as I thought I would! Maybe some day when I get brave enough I'll post on here for a critique

Usually twice a month--one flat session and one jumping, although since we started over fences I am taping those rides a little more often.

I have a FlipVideo camera and a little "bendable" tripod--the legs are flexible and I wrap them around the arena gate, attach the camera and away we go. It's great.

Taping my rides regularly have really helped me to see my faults (like, WTF are my hands doing in my lap??) and also have helped me track my OTTBs progress. I like to go back and watch the good sessions after I have a bad or challenging ride--reminds me of how far we've come in such a short time.
    friend of bar.ka

I'm not riding at present (), but when I was, I was videoed probably 3 or 4 times a year.

I spent 4 years riding in college, so I switched horses pretty often, and had generally seen others ride the horses as well.

It NEVER FAILED to surprise me how incredibly tall I looked! I could have seen 10 other people ride a horse, and I could feel perfectly fine on them, but I always looked gigantic in videos.

That strange feeling I have when I watch myself on a horse doesn't translate to pictures, oddly enough. I think that I just ride slightly differently than shorter people to accommodate for my height, so it's only really obvious in videos.

Plus I duck really really badly over fences, which is much more horrible to watch in live action than it is to look at in stills.