The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default uh stupid thrush, I HATE you!!!

Story of the past one and a half months. I realized my horse had thrush. After a little bit of treatment- 2 are normal- the other 2 were moderate.
    Finally the dang stuff was going away and my horses frog's were healing.

THEN I got flu-swine flu- knocked me out for a whole week. And I didn't think to get my barn to treat him-eventhough it's sort of doubtful if they would

I go back the the barn yesterday and uhhhhhgggg my horse winces in pain when I put the hoofpick down the frog of his bad foot!!! dang it was getting SO good.
    So great, now back to step one. The 2 bad ones are so raggy and gross looking. I took scissors to them to try and trim it up a bit. I think they may need a soak to get in all the nooks and crannies.
    I just want it gone!!!

12 oz Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 oz Tea Tree Oil & 1 oz Gentien Violet Oil. Use it everyday, it will stain your hand but OMG it works!!! You can use it as a soak also. I put it in a spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterEventer View Post
    12 oz Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 oz Tea Tree Oil & 1 oz Gentien Violet Oil. Use it everyday, it will stain your hand but OMG it works!!! You can use it as a soak also. I put it in a spray bottle.
    I totally agree except I dont use the gentien violet oil. I had a similar problem before I moved my horse to our new barn. Lets just say the BO 14 year old daughter wasnt cleaning out the stalls properly . So bad thrush for me, luckly I moved right away.

Anyway, pick feet and wash with the hottest water you can stand with a hoof brush, then dry and apply tea tree/vinegar mix everyday and that should clear it up. I now have everybody in my new barn hooked on the homemade
    thrush remedy!

Edited to add: you can also soak in epsom salts as well then pack epsom salts into foot and let stand for awhile before doing the cleaning and tea tree/vinegar etc.

Thanks for the help. I am really not into the chemically stuff- so those are good suggestions

For some reason the 2 feet (front and hind) are dragging on.
    For about 2.5 weeks straight I was scrubbing his feet w/ soap-and getting down in the crack w/ suds and all. Then I flushed the frogs with straight apple cider vinegar. Then I filled the cracks and other nooks with antibiotic ointment.

I think the slow part is the frog growing to fill the deep split crack.
    I't just frustrating! I think I might start soaking those 2 feet in a solution so don't miss anywhere!

I just got rid of mine with absorbine thrush remedy http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/hothrebyab12.html I did twice a day for three days and then once a day for a couple of weeks.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

is your thrush in the clefts of the frog or in the heel crack between the heel bulbs. the latter is so much tougher to clear up, I think. And it can go systemic if it is left too long in the heel crack, says my wise and worthy farrier...

I have found that cotton balls and a hoof pick can clean out the black grease pretty well. Then if you can get cotton to stay stuffed in the clefts and heel, you have a better chance of whatever you use on the foot staying in there longer between applications. just take itty bitty pieces of cotton ball and use your hoof pick to wedge it in where you need to put your topical stuff.

I like the Keratex Thrush stuff...

I've had nothing but success when I use Tomorrow Dry Cow w/ Penicillin (NOT the Cefi-Dry). Just stick the tip into the frog, squirt, and mush it around. My horse's feet have been looking great...I love it. It also runs about $15 for a box at TSC, which comes with a lot of syringes (can't remember exactly how many off-hand).
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Ask your farrier what he/she recommends. Or your vet.

I tried most of the "remedies" and none worked as good as the Quartermaster I got from the Vet. Saved a ton of time and money and the thrush is gone and hasn't returned.

The Tomorrow that BoysNightOut recommended is similar but about a 10th of the strength as the Quartermaster (I think...not positive...I know it is significantly less potent) so you use more of the Tomorrow over the long run. The Quartermaster ended up cheaper for us but that could depend on vets...etc.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I use Farrier Fix hoof dressing that is for thrush, heat etc. in the foot. It works very good as a poultice as well. And, the small purple bottle that runs $20. Hoof Buster (I want to call it) that stuff is amazing and you will see better results the next day after application.

I am not too into soapy water harboring up in the frog though..

Soak thrush infected feet in hot, salted water, lots of salt, oversaturated solution. Doesn't matter what sort of salt, feed salt is fine and cheaper than epsom salts. Soak for about 20 minutes or so. Dry the foot with a towel. Pack crevices with cotton balls, then apply a thrush killing concoction, anything with copper napthalate is good, Coppertox, Thrush X are a couple of these, or your thrush medication of choice. The cotton will hold the anti-thrush medication close to the site of infection, AND keep further dirt from being packed back in there. Make sure the horse's feet are trimmed adequately, not too long in the heel etc. A foot that is healthy and well trimmed is less likely to become thrush infected in the first place because the blood supply is better. For daily treatment at first, the cotton will be removed when the treatment is repeated. But if you have to take a day or several days off (perhaps due to your illness or whatever) it will hold the treatment and situation in check until you can return and continue treatment.

I was sent a horse for training who had deep internal thrush, undiagnosed by previous trainer or owner. Feet were so infected that the ankles were swollen. Horse was lame. This protocol above was followed for several weeks. Race meet was over at that point, and the horse went home to the owner's house for the winter, crevices packed with cotton balls and Coppertox. FOUR MONTHS LATER, the horse came back to me. The cotton balls were still in place (I wonder why this horse got thrush in the first place????) and the crevices had grown out to being normal, thrush was gone. Horse was sound for the first time in her life, as a four year old. Won her first start that year, maiden race, by many lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    And, the small purple bottle that runs $20. Hoof Buster (I want to call it) that stuff is amazing and you will see better results the next day after application.
    The purple stuff (thrush buster) I would NOT recommend. This is what my farrier told me when I had my bad thrush problems. It contains formaldehyde (which is what they use to embalm dead people) which kills the good bacteria in the foot as well as thrush.

It sounds like yours is in the heel, I would have your farrier come and try to trim off the parts of the frog that are peeling and also see what they can do with the heals.

Obviously keep the stall clean with lots of beading to absorbe pee pee, because that is one of the major causes for thrush. And dont turn out in wet paddocks or pastures.

Use the epsom or salt soak and pack with epsoms and betadine (you mix into a slushy mixture) then wash with extremely hot water and scrub brush. Dry hoof completely and apply tea tree/vinegar solution. I also thought NancyM's cotton ball idea was fabulous and it sounds like we have the same idea about the soaking.

Good Luck

hmm cotton balls are a good idea.

Yes they are in the heel I guess- its VERY deep. Poor guy I feel bad for him, but I'm trying. Meanwhile I'm treating the others to because I dont want them to get it.

Do you think betedine would be good? I have been just using antifungal shampoo, but betedine might work well.
    The antibiotic cream I was/am putting in the cracks is Nolvasan mixed with some steriods and other things. My vet makes it for scratches/hives on the legs, so I have just been using that.

What my vet recommended was to make a hot-as-you-can-stand-it saturated solution of epsom salts and water, and add enough betadine to the solution to turn the water a tea color. Then soak each foot for 45 mins! I don't have that kind of time!

I bought some of that thrush buster from Smartpak, and it says something on the bottle like, that one use will work. And I thought, Whatever! But yesterday I picked out my boy's feet, and they were funky. I poured it all over the frog and sole of each foot. This morning, I got the bottle out again, but when I picked his feet out, the thrush was GONE! LOL but I treated them again just to make sure.

Dang double post

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    I've had nothing but success when I use Tomorrow Dry Cow w/ Penicillin (NOT the Cefi-Dry). Just stick the tip into the frog, squirt, and mush it around. My horse's feet have been looking great...I love it. It also runs about $15 for a box at TSC, which comes with a lot of syringes (can't remember exactly how many off-hand).
    Wanted to make a note here. Tomorrow does not contain penicillin and you can't get it w/ penicillin as far as I know. It's Cephapirin Benzathine. It still does a bang up job on thrush, but it is not procaine penicillin like the other Dry cow treatments (US Vet Go-Dry is one). Either one will work, Cephapirin Benzathine or topical penicillin but I wanted to bring up Tomorrow is not penicillin.
    Last edited by jaimebaker; Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

I have always had luck with strong iodine (10%)

I use a hoof knife to trim away all flaps and crevices (this alone helps clear it up), then I use a hair coloring bottle to squirt the iodine in all the affected areas. If is really bad you can make sugardine and pack the foot (iodine and sugar in paste).

Iodine cleared up the really bad case of thrush my filly got this year (her new field has a pond that she loves to stand in!)

Sorry, about hijacking your thread.
    I have a question? My new mare had contracted heels from her previous farrier/owner, she had tiny cracks in her heels which were loaded with thrush very deep. For ten days I have done most of the treatments suggested above {aka} soak, dry cow, thrush x, cover, pack... when should I stop packing the hole and leave it open to dry out?

but even if I 'kill' the thrush- doesn't the frog still need to grow to fill in the heel crack>?

ok this is NOT my horses foot- I dont have pix of his thrush, but I just found this pic on the internet and his thrush is similar:
    http://www.barefoothorse.com/fungus1.jpg

So how long will it take for that to go away??I figure I need to keep treating it until the frog looks normal. which- arg could be ages?

Quote Originally Posted by starkissed View Post
    but even if I 'kill' the thrush- doesn't the frog still need to grow to fill in the heel crack>?

ok this is NOT my horses foot- I dont have pix of his thrush, but I just found this pic on the internet and his thrush is similar:
    http://www.barefoothorse.com/fungus1.jpg

So how long will it take for that to go away??I figure I need to keep treating it until the frog looks normal. which- arg could be ages?
    If that photo shows a 'fungus' and looks like your horse's foot, then it's not thrush. Thrush is a bacteria, NOT a fungus.

If you have a really bad case of thrush that's gotten into the frog, your best bet is to use a product like White Lightning or Clean Trax. It won't damage healthy tissue. And yes, the frogs will need to grow out and fill in. You just have to be sure that you continue thorough cleaning and keep them medicated while it's growing. Betadine is fine for squirting in there and will help dry it out.

But again, the photo you posted is labeled fungus. White Lightning will take care of it if it's thrush or a fungus. But if it IS a fungus, and you are treating for thrush, a bacteria, then you aren't going to get rid of it until you treat it properly. Thrush is characterized by a black oozy substance that often has a foul odor associated with it. Looks kind of like tar.