The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The real Phaxxton, his 4 four-legged brothers, and his two humans are DEFINITELY in this year.

And you can count his mom in to help write, collate, and mail thank you notes, tax receipts, etc.

That's wonderful! Thank you!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

You guys rock!
    All the needy horses give two hooves up for this awesome effort to help so many.
    Thank you!

I am so excited!

Sunkissed,
    If there is anything NEER can do, give a shout..
    We have extra used blankets and stuff - never hurts to ask and if we have something you need, we will share

do you feed Nutrena?

My dog Kenda would like to be a Secret Santa too!

just a few ideas.
    I hope all the rescues agree that.....

gift cards or gift certificates to feed, tack, and other stores are a great gift because you do not have to worry about shipping.
    and for those of us that utilize foster homes - they can be mailed to where needed most.

Donations specified for outstanding vet bills, farrier, dentist, emergency feed program, gelding fund (Beth's favorite), etc..
    are always welcome andf appreciated
    You could make up your own certificate with donation..

It is nice to open boxes too though!

Again, thank you to everyone involved in making this a great Christmas for the rescues!
    ((H))

I am curious about the rescue Heartbeat, is this in Wa state?

Yes, it is based in Washington.
    www.specialhorses.org

Thank you, Ted, for doing this again.

I may be late, but I just got Bluebonnet signed up for this year. Last year, someone sent us tons of lead ropes and it was WONDERFUL when we had the 58 horse seizure. I needed lots of leads! And we had other wonderful donations.

Thank you all for helping out. I'm hoping 2010 is a better year for me personally so I can participate as an elf finally..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Your list is up and ready!

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Thank you, Ted, for doing this again.

I may be late, but I just got Bluebonnet signed up for this year. Last year, someone sent us tons of lead ropes and it was WONDERFUL when we had the 58 horse seizure. I needed lots of leads! And we had other wonderful donations.

Thank you all for helping out. I'm hoping 2010 is a better year for me personally so I can participate as an elf finally..
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Please add me to the list!

THANK YOU!!!!

You are on the list!
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Default Not too late?

I just signed up with the new handy dandy form! I hope I'm not to late.

No - not late at all!!! We are still happy to get Santas on board!
    www.specialhorses.org

I sent my form in, this is my first time being a Secret Santa!

Terrific - you are on the list!
    www.specialhorses.org

Oh Theodore, itth me Parith. pwease told me sumpin. Duz I hab to pik duh wescue or will u be toldin me hoooooo i gots.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

How does a 501 go about being on this list of recipients?

Whidbey Island Rescue for Equines in WA would love to be a part of this.
    It does not appear as though you have a legit rescue in this part of the country participating.

Because the Chronicle allows us to use their forums for our fundraising efforts, we feel that it is only appropriate that the forum participants - who form a large part of the donor base - know the rescues. This way they will know that any funds or goods sent to the organization will be used appropriately, and that each organization is legitimate. In addition, since the Chronicle - and their advertisers - have been so generous, it is only appropriate that we do what we can to bring additional traffic to the site. Therefore, we require that each organization become a member of the COTH forums and maintain a visible presence on the site. Once they have established this, we are happy to have them on board. We also require that they are responsive to their donors, which means acknowledging donations and sending receipts. This way, should the organization be problematic, we know they will be "outed" by the ever-vigilant COTH community (because it's not as if we can visit and personally check out every organization that applies). In addition, we feel that the generosity of our donors should be acknowledged - people want to know that their contribution is appreciated, and makes a difference.

I used to organize Secret Santa for Horse Rescues on my own, and helped some of the groups in small ways (creating flyers, asking for donations for special events from companies). After last year, equineartworks and I hatched an idea for a new fundraiser, ran it by the moderators, and used the COTH forums to launch it. As always, donations were sent directly to the organizations, and we did not handle any funds collected. As usual, we were overwhelmed by the generosity of COTHers. We saw that even though the amounts for each group (and there were 12!) were relatively small (think a few hundred dollars per group on average), it made a difference. There are so many wonderful groups that do so much, and the people running these groups are literally in the trenches. They do not have the resources - time, money, knowledge - to publicize their efforts, to keep themselves in the public eye, to fundraise on a consistent basis. But that is something we can do virtually - equineartworks has the marketing and web skills, I have organizational skills, and together we've fashioned a vehicle that helps these kinds of organizations. We offer help with fundraisers, we offer help with grants, we offer help with marketing - there are so many things that can be done, and we are starting to have at least some of these efforts come to fruition. This is how Special Horses Inc. came into existence. We realized, to be more effective in helping the groups, that we needed to become 501(c)3 ourselves, and this is now pending (the wheels grind slowly, we've been pending since July!).

equineartworks and I run Special Horses Inc. in our "copious free time." We do not get paid for our efforts (in fact, we are always donors in our own fundraisers!), and all costs thus far that we have incurred we have paid out on our own. That is our contribution to helping equines in need.

That being said, and as much as we would love to do so, we cannot fundraise for every organization across the US. We also do not have the resources to guarantee to the COTH readership that each and every organization in the US is legitimate. What we can do, by requiring that each organization becomes a member of the COTH forums, and maintains an active presence, as well as acknowledging those who donate, we keep the number of groups we can help to a manageable level. We do not think it is fair to our current groups, who are active members of the COTH community, nor is it fair to the COTH community itself, to have a group jump on to ask for funds and then disappear.

On average, thanks to search engines, we receive 1-2 requests per week about joining. We respond to each request with a standard letter stating the above requirements. Only those who choose to join COTH and fulfill our requirements will be included in future fundraisers.

If Whidby would like to become a participating member, all they need to do is go to our site (www.specialhorses.org) and apply. If they then abide by our requirements, they are welcome to join in on future fundraisers.
    Last edited by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"; Nov. 23, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    www.specialhorses.org

Thank you to everyone who is signing up. And to everyone who has decided to help any rescue, whether it be through Secret Santa or not.

I thought I would introduce one of the BEHS horses that some of you will be helping.

Taffy is just a few months old. She came to BEHS out of a neglect case. We got a report of starving horses, and when we investigated we found an owner who had gotten in over his head. He agreed to let us have whatever we wanted off the property. The problem was that almost none of the horses were halter broke, and there were over 30 animals! We decided to "triage" and take the worst horses. He agreed to work on selling or giving away others and we made plans to check back in and take more. (Fortunately, he had given away several and gotten down to a manageable number. However, we'll keep monitoring him).

Taffy was the worst horse on the property. At just 2-3 months old, she was very underweight and her dam (who we also took) was also emaciated. Worse, Taffy had an old injury to her nose that left bone exposed. Because of her poor condition, she was weaned almost immediately and taken to the vet.

The vet had to perform surgery. During the surgery, he scraped the dead bone off her nose and had to do a skin graft to cover the exposed bone. Fortunately, Taffy is healing well and now is learning to trust humans.

When you help us at Bluebonnet, you are helping hundreds of horses like Taffy: victims of neglect, indifference, abuse and abandonment.

Here's a photo of Taffy before surgery: http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/hors...tos/Taffy2.jpg
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com