The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What a rip-off! This is plugging the horse cause only!

Where is the snake rescue's contact info?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!!

A lot of our groups support dogs and cats and even sssnakes (well, not many support sssnakes). But because this is COTH, we have to say it's for equines. And as an equine myself, and seeing how we're so much bigger than sssnakes, we need more stuff. And equines don't eat baby mice either.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Don't be all anti-snake! Someone must eat the baby mice, lest they eat the horses' grain.

Maybe you aren't worried about the Herps. Though cold-blooded considered "low" organisms and culturally despised, perhaps they are a well organized group with their own lobbying groups and effective fund-raising machines.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hi Ted, I would love to be in again this year. You are always such a wonderful organizer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    It ISN'T about the money. It's really about showing support for the wonderful efforts of these groups. I know so many of my TB relatives have ended up in bad places and have been saved, and I know it could have happened to me. And then I think about how so many equines - even those nasty minis that chase TBs around the pastures - do so much to help PEOPLE because of equine assisted therapies. Big people, little people, veterans, people who are sad. We should let them know how important that is.
    You are so right...I would give my left arm for someone to research grants and help with fundraising, 2 things I just don't have time for. On FB, there is a rescue (forget which one) that raised nearly $2000 in 2 days to buy a new tractor (or ATV or John Deere...I forget which)...I don't bring that much in for donations in a year! And in the paper this weekend, there was a story about a dog/cat rescue having a hard time right now..and they average $10,000 a month in donations!!!! I would be happy with half that amount!! If I brought in $10,000 a month, I could quit my day job and do so much more..take in more horses for starters!

Well, I do know that one of the things my mom and equineartworks want to do is help the groups find out about grants and help them with those things. They found out about the ASPCA hay grants and passed those on. But there must be more, and this is very hard to do when there are all the things to do with the horses.

So...if there is anyone out there that wants to help with researching/writing grants...because even the sssnakes have groups. We have New England Equine Rescue (NEER), they have New England Amphibian & Reptile Rescue (NEARR). And check this out: http://www.forgottenfriend.org/rescuelinks.php. The sssnakes are covered. We need to help groups like Lori T's Heartland!
    www.specialhorses.org

Default Joining appendages across taxonomic divides

Dear Ted (Equus Caballus or Homo Sapiens),

My registered name is Lobster (so, Dutch Warmblood, Equus caballus but also of the genus Homarus. I don't know what species I am. But I do know that I'm an Arthropod of the 5-paired leg variety, so a member of the Decapod order).

Anywho, I'm writing now with some of my legs to both thank you for your efforts to be taxonomically inclusive with your fund-raising campaign this season. As I'm sure a broad-minded horse (or whatever), I'm sure you feel, as I do, that we cannot afford "racism" at an taxonomic level. I'm sure you are also well aware that prejudice and favoritism abounds: Those deemed "charismatic species" always get lots of attention from environmental groups worried about the general problem of extinction. So seals, but only the babies, get airplay. Why not walrusses whose minds and bodies remind me so much of my fat bay self? And have you met a polar bear? They'll just as soon eat you as pose for a poignant picture. Take it from me.

I digress somewhat, but this brings me to the Sssnakes. I do appreciate your addition of a link to a reputable charity that stands up (as much as any snake can do) for their interests. May I call your attention to the fact that they have been admirably inclusive-- with reptiles and snakes joining forces across large taxonomic divides? They have minimized their differences to shake hands (or whatever) and break bread (or whatever-- really, mammals, perhaps birds and other creatures so numerous and beloved by humans that they really do need to be taken down a peg) over a common cause. Sorry, I digress again, but I'm sure you will understand and forgive the fervor for taxonomic equality that causes me to wander from my point.

All I can say is let the admirable and impressive organization of the cold-bloodeds be a lesson to us all.

Best wishes,

Lobster
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It's hard for me to type this because I know I am going to cry...

I was so excited to have Dumplin' be part of this years Secret Santa. If it weren't for him I would never have met Wendi, and gotten involved with all these wonderful groups. There would be no Special Horses, Inc. either.

I am having a hard time this year, for obvious reasons, but I also have SO MUCH to be joyful about. So I will just ask that if you can help in any way...please try to join in the fun!

Remember, $5 donation can buy a bale of hay, tube of wormer, a vaccine, a brush, a pick, vet wrap, vet supplies, and yes...a bag of treats.

So if you feel you might not have much to give this year, you are not alone. Times are tough for most all of us. I know it will be lean around here this year for us as well, my DH gets laid off Friday and we become a family of three living on one unemployment check. But I know if I dig in the bottom of my bag or look in my desk drawer I'll find $5 in there, if I get lucky I'll find some quarters too and I can hit the laundry-mat with some saddle blankets and pads

Imagine what each group could have if we each share even a dollar! We have over 6,000 active members and if each gave $1, $5, or $10 each one of these groups could have a very, very happy holiday season for the horses in their care.

We appreciate all that you do for these groups all year long. Many of them get by only because of the generosity of this forum, especially during the holidays.

Thank you for all the support you give these worthy groups.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

OMG!!! MVP....thank for my morning cleaning of the monitor!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I signed up! Hope you gets LOTS of elves!!! Remember the starfish story-if we can each make even a small difference to ONE horse, how powerful we all are as a group! Go COTH!
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

We already have some wish lists up on the site, just waiting for some of the groups to send us theirs. And we are so grateful to everyone for whatever they can do.
    www.specialhorses.org

What? Starfish want in, too?

I'll be damned.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default My parrots...

want in on this action! Chester (RIP) was Coreene & Oliver's special Bird Friend and he would have wanted his brothers & sisters in feathers to participate!

They did vote NOT to send peeps as they enjoy them too much however mom is allowed to send money as long as it does not interfere with the regular scheduled purchasing of their favorite foods/toys.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

We would be honored to have your parrots be elves in Chester's memory!!

Are parrots like chickens? Because chickens are really weird. Ducks now - ducks are cool. I like our ducks.

I do not know any starfish, but apparently you can do something that saves at least one of them.
    www.specialhorses.org

Even though I don't need to "bump" this thread, cause it's already a sticky , my two cats (Amelie and Harmonee) and my dog (Tucker) will be joining my two horses (Gus and Gringo) in helping out this year.

I figure since they don't do enough to "earn" their allowance (aka treats) they should help out and donate some of their treat money to help other animals in need.

So, count on two cats and a dog also from me... though I'm not sure they'll be happy about missing out on some treats. I think they'll survive though.

And Ted, I don't need to PM you again, do I? Or is posting on here good enough?
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

No worries - you are on the Official Elfin' List!
    www.specialhorses.org

What, no thnakes. Mith Parith will be tho heartbwoken. She met her wonderful fancy Jake on here last year. In fact, she fell so in love mommy had to buy her two new snakes since. One from Canada with lots of squeakers and one from St. Louis when I went for the wedding and to visit Wendy. We must have snakes.

And Mith Parith says she would like to sign herself up for giving. She would like to send her adequan shots and joint meds to a deserving horse hahahaha.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Paris, we would be delighted to have another canine on board! Please PM me with your info so we can put you on the list.
    www.specialhorses.org

Teddy, I haf sended you duh info on me. I fot you newed all about me from your mummy.

I dont eat dem Peeps k. I wike chikens.

I's going to send dem adeqwin needo's to a horsey K and dem joint fings. YUKKY PooPoo.

An I can send dem sum chikens too.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Paris, don't worry. Ted's organizational skills sometimes go by the way side when he catches the eye of a new little filly at our place (Odette). Apparently he is not completely altruistic.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues