The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2010 Eventing Dressage Tests

Just saw that the new tests were released today on the USEA website!
    What does everyone think of them?

I am really happy with the changes to the Training level tests!

Default WOW

They sure changed the tests. I like some of the BN, not sure about the canter...but will see. I like the training changes...

BUT wow what changes in Preliminary. I had to get out my doodle pad to see that one.

Haven't read through intermediate yet.

Thumbs up BN tests

Like 'em!

Glad they did away with the half diagonals. Never did like that turn.

I actually think I'll like the canter departs approaching X on the circle.

It's just good to change it up a bit.

Let's all go out and get some 20's!

I do like that the new Prelim tests have a C option for a large arena, I like that they took out the shoulder-ins and added leg yields for prelim.

I do NOT like that the free walk is weighted double, and that's not just for prelim. Both Intermediate and Advanced have the extended walk double weighted. Pretty uncool, if you ask me.

I like BN B....I'll have to see how BN A rides. Yippee to no half diagonals....God those SUCKED!!
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Morally Grey - Training level here we come

As usual, the BN tests seem harder than the N. I guess I'm glad I'm officially moving up to N this year!

I thought the same thing, badawg.

Either way, I'm excited for the new stuff, just for the 'something different' factor. I've been doing straight dressage this year with my green bean and I definitely know which tests I like/dislike riding.

I'm not yet sure how I feel about the AXMC entry for BN. I understand trying to eliminate the 10 meter turn at C, but then you've still got to make the 10 meter turn at the end of the test at A, to the centerline. I'm surprised there wasn't a similar adjustment to the final turn down the centerline, maybe K to X with the halt at G or something like that.

oh man, double weighted walk.....grand, my horse doen't have a very good walk...its a bit lateral...oh well, looks like fun, something different, and that the tests are mirror image(same thing both ways) maybe I will be able to remember them better....but extended trot across the diagonal in a large arena will be an adventure....thats a long way to sit a extended trot! my stomach hurts just thinking about it...hehe

Default all tests are weighted in walk

All the tests are weighted in walk....I love it...my horses all seem to have amazing walks...I like the leg yield in Prelim, but I sure don't like counter canter all the way around the end of the arena...from b to e and e to b. I dunno, that might be tough for my guys.

Wow, they sure upped the ante in Training A! But it looks like it'll flow better. The canter circles in Tr B are odd, but I still like it better than before.

Off to go check out the others...

All in all, it seems there's much better symmetry in all the tests. I don't think the lengthening in training B will ride very well after the stretchy circle - I can see a lot of horses diving onto the forehand there. I think the leg yield away from the wall, turn, change bend, leg yield away from the wall in the prelim will be a bit challenging. Can't wait to go out and practice!

I'm planning to move up to training next fall and after looking at these test i realized - i need to step up my dressage!

Can anyone explain the half circle from E-B in the Novice test please? that has me quite confused..

TIA
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Sparkle,
    The half circle E-B is just half of a 20m circle. You will trot the first half but as you approach B you will ask for your canter. Then starting at B you will complete an entire 20m circle at the canter. So, all in all, you are staying on the 20m for 1 1/2 circles. (The first half at a trot). Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by SweetieG; Nov. 7, 2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo

I'm not yet sure how I feel about the AXMC entry for BN. I understand trying to eliminate the 10 meter turn at C, but then you've still got to make the 10 meter turn at the end of the test at A, to the centerline. I'm surprised there wasn't a similar adjustment to the final turn down the centerline, maybe K to X with the halt at G or something like that.

They used this entry in the YEH tests. I don't think they were trying to get away from the 10 meter turn so much as trying to avoid having young babies trot straight towards the sometimes scary judges stand.

Excellent. Training tests are much improved. I rather have to do a lengthening off a stretchy circle than immediately out of the walk! At least they are going forward. I think I like the prelim tests, too, especially the one where you leg yield into the canter depart...since that's the sneaky trick I use to get a better depart, hopefully we'll rock those transitions! I can't decide if I like having the leg yields again or not. Last time I rode consistently at prelim we had them my horse at the time was an ass...it was easier to fake a shoulder in on him than get him to actually leg yield (without looking like a demented, intoxicated giraffe!). Vernon is far more amiable to the idea of leg yield, but we'll definitely have to clean them up over the winter.

flea, I've ridden my fair share of babies at BN who have been just as terrified of the scary judge's stand as a YEH horse would be...I think it is a VERY smart move, because it is HARD to ride that center line to the corner letter to a diagonal movement. Hard if you are on a green horse spooking at the white rails, flowers, people, air and hard if you are a BN rider riding your first few dressage tests.

Haven't looked at all the tests yet but I don't like the BN entrance Didn't like that AXMC when I did it for YEH either. Centerline is one thing I CAN do well! Can't wait to start learning the new tests, I think I'll make a clinic out of it!

I'm excited! Glad that Intermediate tests are now all in the standard ring, but a little nervous in the step up in difficulty they reflect. Prelim tests look great - I'm excited to get out practicing!!

Default If I actually manage to stay sound this spring

and finally get to do BN, I am gonna LOVE the tests! I mean, what a gift to start the canter circle after a half circle of trot and already be on the right bend, yep, I'm in.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by badawg View Post
    As usual, the BN tests seem harder than the N. I guess I'm glad I'm officially moving up to N this year!
    Yay! Thats awesome!
    I love the all new tests, I love the BN test- they seem pretty easy. I like that the A and B versions of each test are not pretty much the same test with a difference here or there as they have been in the past.

I really like the new training tests - lengthing the canter on the long side is SO much easier. And both tests flow symmetrically. I liked the old Training A fine, but Traning B was such a mishmash!

I think we had the circle/circle movement once before - it works OK, actually because at home you can practice a 10m circle and then a 20, so it teaches them 'small circle then bigger and lengthen'.

For prelim I'm glad they brought back leg yield too, I think.We've just spent 6 weeks mastering shoulder in... And that's a LOT of counter canter - much more than what they've ever asked before with just the few steps after the half-circle. We've got all season to worry about that though.