The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Major Medical Insurance help - PLEASE tell me I haven't blown it!

For all of you with experience in insurance claims, I hope you can tell me how to best handle this situation.

Said horse has major medical, never had a claim. He was a little off and we did the usual rest etc. Two weeks ago he was slightly off again so we had the vet out and he recommended taking the horse in for digital xrays. We weren't thinking of anything major so did not inform Great American Ins. Really the thought was that we end up doing a coffin injection and that would be that. Alas, it isn't true. Did I blow his coverage of the xrays and possibly future MRI by not contacting them immediately? Since they don't cover joint injections, I figured there wasn't much point with the deductible. Now, since it isn't yet resolved, I think I should have made a claim because this could go on and on.

Advice?

Um, call your agent? This isn't really a question for the general public. The sooner you tell them the better you chances of getting covered. I should hope they'd be understanding since this is how diagnostic work often goes.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 6, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

ThatsMyQ Guest

I ran into the same question recently and have been going back and forth with the insurance company for weeks now. I use Great American as well, and they said I would be covered for anything within 90 days of when I notified them. My advice would be to call them immediately and see what your policy allows. Good luck!

Honesty is the best policy. Call them and tell them just what you said and I think you will be fine. I've had similar situations (lame horse, thought it was an abscess, so didn't bother to call, then turned into something much bigger and badder...) and they were fine. I also have Great Am.

Thanks for the encouragement. That's exactly what I wanted to do, but with all the horror stories out there it makes you afraid to talk to them in case you say the wrong thing. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

does anyone know how they are if he needs an injection and it isn't "routine"?

IME calling and talking to them is the best idea. If you have a good agent, they "get it" that horsey diagnostics are not always neat and pretty and cut-and-dried.

There is no such thing as a "routine" injection, IMO, other than vaccinations.
    Click here before you buy.

Default My exp w/ga

I had several sets of xrays over the course of a few months for on and off lameness. The xrays showed nothing unusual (other than an abscess) and then suddenly there was bone loss. Took him for first and second opinions, got a recommendation of surgery, and THEN called Great Am. I just told them about the xrays that showed significant problem (which was within a month of my calling), and I had no problem.

Stacey
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

What about Lyme Disease? My horse has been getting Doxyclycline for a high Lyme Titer. Do I need to call them?

ThatsMyQ Guest

I was covered for doxy when mine had lyme. It also depends on your deductible, because if its going to cost under that, then I guess it's up to you if you want to call them about it.