The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you think? 2nd dressage lesson Update Pg 10

My second dressage lesson is tonight - 1st one last week was a blast - both my mare and I really enjoyed it.

Instructor would like me to ride a different horse for my lesson tonight, which in some respects is great. On the other hand, I am taking lessons with my mare (just a reminder - she is gaited) for her benefit as well as mine.

So, I'm kind of on the fence about using the lesson horse - nice horse, easy going, but not currently doing much in the way of dressage work.

I hate to ruffle any feathers, but I am wondering if I shouldn't just say I'd rather ride my mare?
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Nov. 6, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Update

I'd ride the lesson horse. You can learn a lot from a good schoolie, which will help you train your own horse.

My own horse is a greenie OTTB. I didn't understand a good half-halt until I felt one on a second level schoolmaster, who stayed connected and balanced - I don't think I'd understand that concept and how a half halt is supposed to work without that experience on that other horse.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

If you really don't want to, say no- but don't assume riding another horse won't benefit your horse. I'd say give it a go the first time and see how it goes. If you like it, maybe do it once every month or two. If not, just say you'd rather work on your own horse the next time she brings it up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I'd ride the lesson horse. You can learn a lot from a good schoolie, which will help you train your own horse.

My own horse is a greenie OTTB. I didn't understand a good half-halt until I felt one on a second level schoolmaster, who stayed connected and balanced - I don't think I'd understand that concept and how a half halt is supposed to work without that experience on that other horse.
    Totally understand what you are saying - but the lesson horse is not a schoolmaster by any means . . . not to say I won't benefit from it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    If you really don't want to, say no- but don't assume riding another horse won't benefit your horse. I'd say give it a go the first time and see how it goes. If you like it, maybe do it once every month or two. If not, just say you'd rather work on your own horse the next time she brings it up.
    Thanks - not a bad idea at all.

I often ride a friend's trail trained 23 year old QH who knows almost nothing about dressage. It's a real challenge to get her to give at the poll, bend correctly, or go on the bit. Riding her challenges me to ride correctly. Granted, this is just your second lesson, I'd probably want to ride my horse too - but that said, I think riding a variety of horses is good, I jump at almost any opportunity to do so!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I often ride a friend's trail trained 23 year old QH who knows almost nothing about dressage. It's a real challenge to get her to give at the poll, bend correctly, or go on the bit. Riding her challenges me to ride correctly. Granted, this is just your second lesson, I'd probably want to ride my horse too - but that said, I think riding a variety of horses is good, I jump at almost any opportunity to do so!
    That's why, to use my daughter's term, I'm conflicted! Since my mare is so green (dressage wise) it's pretty challenging and yet, I don't get to ride other horses very often. In fact, it's been years since I've been on horse that trots (and canters) under saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Totally understand what you are saying - but the lesson horse is not a schoolmaster by any means . . . not to say I won't benefit from it anyway!
    The lesson horse may simply also be more tolerant of some issue you have than your horse, who the trainer might be worried will learn bad habits while you work out your own issues.

Or the lesson horse may be a 'known' quantity for some activity your trainer wants you to do - for example where I first took lessons it was pretty common for even the advanced riders to sometimes have a lunge lesson on one of the beginner-safe horses. He wasn't a schoolmaster in the classic sense by any means but he was *rock* *solid* on a lunge line because he'd been trained for vaulting use - so you could put a rider up on him and they could completely and totally focus on their own position, wiggle around, whatever, he didn't care. He'd just keep at a nice steady gait.

I'd ask your trainer why the lesson horse - there may well be a good reason which will, in the long run, help you to help your own horse more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    The lesson horse may simply also be more tolerant of some issue you have than your horse, who the trainer might be worried will learn bad habits while you work out your own issues.

Or the lesson horse may be a 'known' quantity for some activity your trainer wants you to do - for example where I first took lessons it was pretty common for even the advanced riders to sometimes have a lunge lesson on one of the beginner-safe horses. He wasn't a schoolmaster in the classic sense by any means but he was *rock* *solid* on a lunge line because he'd been trained for vaulting use - so you could put a rider up on him and they could completely and totally focus on their own position, wiggle around, whatever, he didn't care. He'd just keep at a nice steady gait.

I'd ask your trainer why the lesson horse - there may well be a good reason which will, in the long run, help you to help your own horse more effectively.
    Not sure, but I think that maybe my instructor feels she'll be able to help me more if she can see me apply what she is asking me to do on a horse that moves in a way she is more familiar with. My mare being gaited has kind of thrown everything out the window. But, I will definitely ask - she really took me by surprise . . .

So 2nd lesson, on school horse, was fabulous! We did some trot work, both sitting and rising, and lots of canter work.

Instructor wants me on the lesson horses, for now, so that I get a better feel for how things should feel. (That sure sounds funny, but you know what I mean.) Anyway, next lesson will be on a more sensitive, forward horse . . . I have a feeling this lesson was kind of a test . . . since I'm moving up to the other mount, I think I passed!

Things to work on: lower leg - keeping it long and keeping my upper body square - love to drop my shoulder when turning ...

I am sooo hooked . . .

sounds wonderful!