The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Successfully shown OTTB's

Anyone want to share? Any OTTB's that have made it big in the hunters, jumpers or eq? I know there are some out there

I had a thoroughbred mare that won the older smalls at junior hunter finals in 2004, her name was Lauryn Hill.

I rode with this one trainer a bit who had an awesome older TB gelding that was off the track and had won everything in the regular hunters all over the east coast. The horse is now around 20 or so I think(Shown under "My Thoughts Exactly").

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My Calvin was shown in California in the A/Os quite successfully in the mid 90's, under the name "Quintessence" out of the Van Vleck Ranch, I think. His full-page ad in the Chronicle certainly showed his form would have pinned anywhere--fabulous front end on him. A bit hot, though, and that hasn't changed with age
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

There was a Junior Hunter, maybe 2003, around zone 5 and Tennessee (whatever zone that may be in). Grey named Sky Is the Limit or Sky's The Limit. Raced until he was 7.
    Lady bought him for the Adults and won pretty big at Indoors, including a Classic IIRC.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

At WIHS this year there was a 20 y.o. TB ridden in the President's Cup Grand Prix. I can't remember his name or who rode him, though. Hell of a horse and did not look like an easy ride! (Not like a GP horse WOULD be an easy ride, but you know what I mean, I hope.)
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Final Pool won $800.00 at the track. He then went on to a GP show-jumping career with his amateur owner up to the World Cup Qualifyers at Spruce Meadows. He was a beautiful horse, lovely mover and passed on a good mind.
    He sired a number of top show huntrers up and down the west coast. I have one of his daughters.

There's a very nice small junior hunter named Lifetime Guarantee who has won classes from WEF to Indoors. He came off the race track at Finger Lakes in New York, and one of the posters on here knew him from his race horse days.

D.D. Matz's Tashi Ling was running in $5,000 maiden claimers at Penn National in the early 90's before she got him.

I just started showing my OTTB and in his very first class in his very first show he took 1st. We are pretty much cleaning up the Hunter shows and he has only been jumping just a couple months. Going to try for Year End Champions this coming up year.

The horse that I lease is an OTTB and he has had a very successful career. He has one almost every local final in our area and he has won the Ariat, NE Finals, and even the Nicolas Award at NE Finals.

Seems like this thread comes up every few months. The last time around:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=213971

My boy has been off the track for 2 1/2 years and had a stellar season this year. He started the year off with his first show at a legitimate 3'7" and with a grand total of 7 shows finished the year winning most of his classes at 4'3". I hope he'll continue his winning ways into the AO Jumper Highs and then the Grand Prixes next year. He's a stereotypical TB with his complete work ethic and unfaze-ability....he'll go anywhere and jump anything without even a second thought. I LOVE the OTTB brain

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I LOVE the OTTB brain

I second that, HOWEVER, you have to have to have the "understanding" of how the OTTB brain works inorder for it to work for you. I see too many people get involved with them and can't figure out what to do with them and get their talent and mind working correctly and that ends up giving them the bad name we all hear about!

Two horses I purchased off the track were "Sporteke" and "Sand and Surf". Sporteke (by Snow Sporting out of Forneke by Neke) jumped up to the 4'6" divisions for me, and ended up in California with Joe Lifto. He had several ami owners there, who did many divisions with him, Medals and lower Jumper divisions and the local Grand Prixs with the pro rider on him. What a sweet horse he was. I got him as a seven year old, with 55 starts under his belt, two bowed tendons, a slight cataract, and a huge scar down one side of his ribcage from running through a fence (took 200 stitches to close it, and they did not know if he would survive at the time). I watched that horse for over a year before approaching the owner about buying him. The spring in his step was impressive, though he moved like a rototiller (paddle in front, and did the rhumba on the hind end).

Sand and Surf I campaigned locally for a few years, up to the 4'6" divisions. I bought him at the end of his four year old race campaign, he wasn't happy as a racehorse. Sired by Bob's Dusty, out of Tussle (Rough N Tumble). I had watched him for two years before I could buy him. I sold him to Carla Diewert, who won one of the international derbies at Spruce Meadows with him, against all the European riders (and Canada's best).

Heaven Can Wait was stabled just down the aisle from me at the track. He was a hugely successful hunter with Bill and Suzie Ulmer in the western provinces and states. He was by Polynesian Flyer, out of a Proud Birdie mare, bred by a woman I knew.

One of my OTTB's is doing quite well in the A/O's. It was his first year at 3'6 (no pro year at that height) and other than some pilot errors he did really well!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=221aaf3007

There was a really nice older TB gelding "For The Moment" who was doing the Open jumpers at 21 years old. Not sure if he ever raced, but he held the record for most $$ won in a show jumping career for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    One of my OTTB's is doing quite well in the A/O's. It was his first year at 3'6 (no pro year at that height) and other than some pilot errors he did really well!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=221aaf3007

There was a really nice older TB gelding "For The Moment" who was doing the Open jumpers at 21 years old. Not sure if he ever raced, but he held the record for most $$ won in a show jumping career for quite a long time.
    Your horse is lovely.

The jumper For the Moment did race under another name: http://www.pedigreequery.com/hitchn+celebrate

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    The jumper For the Moment did race under another name: http://www.pedigreequery.com/hitchn+celebrate
    Holy crap...I was a HUGE Fred fan, and I had no idea that he had SIXTY-FIVE STARTS!!! Wow. And to think what a long career he had as a show jumper...Kudos to everyone involved with both his careers - very impressive.

Thanks for posting this, Grayarab

Don't forget A Fine Romance.

Michele Perla's Magical Life (Teddy) was off the track. IIRC, NSYNC (the Jayne's) was an OTTB.

Although I think they are harder to ride, ie require more finesse, I believe a nice TB is always as desirable as any WB. Many, many of the big name WBs have a ton of TB in them anyway
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I ride a super OTTB (he's 16 now) and though he's not a well known show horse he's a good guy.
    I'm in the Capital District too, OP and there are several TB's doing well locally here.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique