The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I mix bute and banamine? Question answered, thank you.

Scenario: Lame from probable abscess. Gave horse 1 g of bute powder mixed in with some feed. She didn't eat very much of the feed, so she probably didn't get much of the bute in her system.

If she's not going to eat the bute, I have some banamine paste I can give her, but I just want to make sure the 2 are ok together, if in fact she has any bute in her system at all. I know they're both NSAIDS...just want to make sure.

TIA
    Last edited by Seven-up; Nov. 4, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

No, recent article in the magazine The Horse stated that latest research shows doubling up on NSAIDs greatly increases risk of ulcers and/or colitis. Pick one or the other. However, in your case, since this is a replacing Banamine for Bute and horse did not get full dose, may be OK, but only way to know for sure is call the Vet! (much better source of info on a specific horse and its condition)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Thanks. I really don't think she ate any at all. I gave her 1 lb. of feed and she ate 2 bites. She knows when I'm trying to poison her. But I'll wait to give her the banamine just in case. I'll try to get a hold of my vet, too and see what he says.

No.

My vet says "NO" also.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Did you try beet soaked pulp and there regular grain?

Don't have any beet pulp. She wouldn't eat it anyway--she's super picky. All I did was mix a scoop (1 gram) of peppermint flavored bute powder in 1 lb. of her regular feed. She didn't want it so she can just be ouchy. She's not really very lame at this point so it won't hurt her to hang out in her stall.

No - good way to cause kidney damage

Besides, bute/banamine really don't do much for abcesses. And, if she's "not really very lame", then leave the meds out altogether

You could just get a 60 cc syringe, cut the tip off so it's wider, dump bute in, add a little water, shake, and dose like dewormer. Then you can stick w/ the bute if you want.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Besides, bute/banamine really don't do much for abcesses.

Why not? Isn't the whole point to reduce inflammation? Is there a better option? (Besides locating the abscess and opening it up, obviously. Until I can get someone here to do that, all I can do is soak wrap and give a pain reliever/anti-inflam.)

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Why not? Isn't the whole point to reduce inflammation?
    No. If it is an abscess, you want it to evacuate the hoof area. In addition to not providing much pain relief for hoof abscesses, NSAIDs can delay healing, part of which is creating the right climate for the serum and puss to exit the hoof.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    No. If it is an abscess, you want it to evacuate the hoof area. In addition to not providing much pain relief for hoof abscesses, NSAIDs can delay healing, part of which is creating the right climate for the serum and puss to exit the hoof.
    word.
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

Quote Originally Posted by PennyChrome View Post
    ...but isn't Banamine a deep muscle relaxant? How would that help? Am I wrong about Banamine?
    Banamine is in the same class of drugs as Bute. Both are NAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Banamine is NOT a muscle relaxant.

Banamine does seem to do a better job of managing pain--acting as an analgesic. But that is not the same as being a muscle relaxant. The point of giving banamine during colic is to ease pain so they don't try to roll or thrash about which could do more damage.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Penny- I found this article helpful: http://www.thalequine.com/Articles/B...20Banamine.doc

See, I always thought it was administered as a smooth muscle relaxant to encourage them to poo, not to ease pain, and conversely, that this is also dangerous as you run the risk of relaxing their muscles too much and actually making the colic worse - especially of it is caused by impaction. I am so interested in this that I started a new thread on the topic.
    You might be thinking of Dipyrone as a relaxant..
    Love Story Equestrian - Orangeville,ON,Canada
    Quality,Relaxed, and Affordable Boarding

Default Bute in applesauce

Don't have any beet pulp. She wouldn't eat it anyway--she's super picky. All I did was mix a scoop (1 gram) of peppermint flavored bute powder in 1 lb. of her regular feed. She didn't want it so she can just be ouchy. She's not really very lame at this point so it won't hurt her to hang out in her stall.
    Get a large nose syringe - from vet - (any vet cat/dog vet) crush bute tablet or use paste bute mix with applesauce fill syringe and admninister like paste wormer - then you know the bute is in the horse.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Why not? Isn't the whole point to reduce inflammation?
    the pain from abcesses is generally from pressure of a big "ball" of goop that is trying to find a way out. That's what really cannot be relieved.

Is there a better option? (Besides locating the abscess and opening it up, obviously. Until I can get someone here to do that, all I can do is soak wrap and give a pain reliever/anti-inflam.)
    For pain mgment? Not that I'm aware of

Also, just know that prematurely opening an abcess, or going on a dig to China to get it, is generally a lot worse than letting it work its way out. If you open it before its ready, you risk leaving some of the infection in there, and you start all over.

Too many farriers and vets go traipsing all around the foot looking for it, and when/if they do, you're left with a worse issue of keeping a dug-out foot clean and bandaged and medicated.

Most abcesses tend to heal behind themselves, unless they're big enough and come out fast enough (leaving a large tract), so by the time most abcesses are out, you're just looking at a "surface" wound for the most part.

So, unless you're looking at somethign that isn't resolving in a week or so, or gets worse, soaking/packing/wrapping is the best thing to do. Beyond that, it's probably time to start thinking about xrays to make sure that what you thought was an abcess isn't a fractured coffin bone, and to see if what really is an abcess has gone inward and is in danger of infecting the coffin bone.

Sort of along JB's line. . . I can see feeding some Bute for an absess, but isn't Banamine a deep muscle relaxant? How would that help? Am I wrong about Banamine?
    Banamine is an NSAID.

Perhaps you are thinking of Robaxin?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).