The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arborwood Guest

Default "Everything Sweet" aged lesson pony - will ship to you!

"Everything Sweet" aka Sugar is a 20 y/o 14.2hh chestnut mare in good health. She has Cushing's and that requires her to have 1 ml of pergolide everyday, which keeps her perfectly healthy. She's 100% bombproof under any circumstances and has been the perfect lesson and camp pony for me. She's a perfect walk-trot-jump crossrails pony. I'm giving her away (to an excellent forever home only), because this summer down here in South Florida proved much too hot for her. She'll be much happier in a cooler, more northern climate.

I can't sing her praises enough. Any child can ride her, learn to post on her, groom her, tack her up, body clip her, or clip her ears. She's like a labrador! She doesn't eat grain. I keep her on 3 flakes of T&A a day and she stays fat, shiny and happy. In a northern climate, she might not even need to be on hay, since that grass is much richer than our nutrient-deplete grass in South Florida. Cushing's causes horses to gain weight easily, so you can't feed her a lot - which works well for the pocketbook! She grows a coat quickly (side effect of the Cushing's), so she'll keep herself warm in the winter, but will need to be body-clipped 2-4 times in the summer. She is a beloved pony here at Arborwood, and everyone is sad that she has to go. It just isn't fair to keep her down here when the summer's reach 100+ & the humidity makes it feel even hotter.

Before this summer, a 7 year old leased her. She did short stirrups with her and she was great. She colicked over the summer due to the heat, and I think we just did too much with her. She's fine now, and she'd probably be fine cantering again, but I'd prefer her be used primarily as a walk-trot pony. If you did want her to do more, she would have to be on some sort of Cosequin - like supplement. You could use her to teach somone how to canter (she barely moves the kids & is the BEST to teach the kids to sit to the canter), but I wouldn't make her canter all the way around the ring. I think she'll hold up best as a walk-trot pony. She's earned a break from the short stirrups ring!

I thought we'd found a home for her last week, but the person has not responded to me since I asked for a date to ship her up. So, sadly, I suppose she is available again.

Email me for some recent pictures of her. I will take care of shipping costs to send her to her new *northern* home. I will also send her with a month's supply of pergolide.

Sugar must find a new home before November 10th - our seasonal boarders arrive - because she can't live in out in the heat of a paddock in South Floirda.

TwoBlueRider Guest

How far north do you feel Sugar needs to go?

I do wish she could live in Georgia but our heat and humidity would be too much for her as well. She sounds like a GEM and one that deserves her northern home!

bflohorselvr Guest

Default Sugar

I am up in New York and would love to give her a forever home!

Sent you a PM
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

Default pony

I sent you a PM too!

Why must I be in Southern California?! Sounds like a good pony!

bumping

No response from Arborwood yet?

Arborwood Guest

Smile Sugar's got a new home! :)

Hi all! I've been so busy fielding your enormous responses in emails, phone calls and PMs that I completely forgot to look at the thread! (Plus, I posted this the day before the COTH forums went down for a few days!) Sugar has found a wonderful home in PA. I thank you all for your interest in my sweet girl and congratulations to her new mom!

If you feel you contacted me quite early and still didn't hear from me, it's because I found a home for her within 24 hours of posting. I based my decision on the earliest response that really understood the needs of an aged horse with Cushing's Disease.

Thanks to Chronicle of the Horse for making it so easy to find the right home for my old girl!