The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hock Fusion

I recently had my 16 year old FEI horse's hocks injected and the vet said that his right hock was fusing. The hock injection definately seemed to work but he is still very stiff on the right side and doesn't really want to bend correctly and push off the right hock. He gets Adequan injections on a monthly basis and hock injections every 6 months. My next step was to also put him on an oral joint supplement to help with the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I have heard that once the hock fuses, he should be absolutely fine but getting through this is a bit frustrating. Should I continue to work him as usual or back of the work until the hock is finished fusing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" -Winston Churchill

Does your vet suspect the joint is likely to fully fuse on its own? I would see what your vet recommends and see how much your horse can tolerate. You may find that an equioxx or Previcox would be more afordable.

I would continue to work him but not doing normal things - just keep him exercised and in condition. Do a slower warm-up than normal and straight line work at mostly a trot or slow canter, no sharp turns, no jumping, no anything fancy, just straight exercise, preferably out of the arena to save on turns. Used to be standard procedure on the track (Harness) to keep on jogging, but no speed, and to sweat the offending hock at night - there are boots for this, BTW, and we never used anything under the boots, just dampened the hair with water and put the boot on.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

The vet thinks the hock is well on its way to being fused so I am guessing it is going fine on its own. What is previcox and equioxx? Thanks!
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango7 View Post
    The vet thinks the hock is well on its way to being fused so I am guessing it is going fine on its own. What is previcox and equioxx? Thanks!
    Equioxx is gentlier on the stomach than bute but quite expensive http://equioxx.us.merial.com/ Previcox is the canine version, the same drug but allot cheeper.

I have a mare whose coffin joint is trying to fuse...was wondering why a joint would do this. Trying to find my old post, vets thought it was osteomyelitis at first.

I have been managing my 20 yr old with arthritic hocks for 2 years. He is doing great with hock injections (was every 6 months but last time he made it 9 months!). I also saw significant improvement after starting Platinum Performance CJ - for joints - has all the standard joint stuff and ASU which has done very well in clinical trials and came highly recommended by my vet. He is also on Previcox and the stuff is fabulous. Can't recommend it enough and vet thinks the Previcox may have extended his injection time more this time - he also responded to the injections better - the change was more obvious - my riding teacher even commented on how much better he was 2 weeks after the injections. He runs around like young horse, is ridden 3-4 times a week - just hacked him this week for 2 hours.

My horse showed similar signs - would get really irritated when asked to bend too much or for too long. Much better on straight lines.

I will say regular exercise is so important. Even if the weather or footing is bad, I try to at least take him on a hand walk, lunge a bit or a short hack - even if it's 15-20 minutes only.

Good luck!