The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blanket sugg. for horse w/old wither injury?

I am trying to determine the best blanket style to get for my mare.
    I re-acquired her last May and in the year that she was gone she seems to have had a wither injury. It looks like she was rubbed at the back of the wither with a cut-back style blanket. The hair is white in a patch about 4 inches long along the spine.
    She was really irritable about being groomed on her chest and behind her elbows. Chiropractic work seems to have helped but I'm scared that blanketing her is going to aggravate things again.
    I was thinking the Hug style might work, but in the pictures it doesn't ride very far up the neck, I'm afraid it might slip back and rub the old injury.
    Suggestions?

What about one with an extended neck? The type that go about half way up the neck? IME those dont usually rub the withers at all.

Like the Horseware Wug style? That might work.

Exactly, I had a rambo wug that I loved. Too big for my new horse though. McAlister and several others also make some extended neck options for cheaper alternative. I own a McAlister that I got for $60 but have yet to put it to heavy use so can't say how it holds up or wears.

I searched the Wug and about choked, 300$, ouch. I will check out the McAllisters. Thanks!

Schneiders has a design that does not rub the withers- they tested it and there was less pressure there than a cutback or euro style.

I second Scneiders- give them a call and they can assist you in deciding if the cut back or the V-free is best for you.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Schneider's has a high neck style that I got for my Morgan/Welsh pony. It has velcro in a couple of places around the neck so you can adjust it. Would something like that work? I think it was around $125 with S&H.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Schneiders has a design that does not rub the withers- they tested it and there was less pressure there than a cutback or euro style.
    I have found that the Schneiders "V Free" rubs the least in the withers, love them.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams