The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Behlen or Ritchie horse waterer?

I'm putting in a waterer on the fence line. Looks as if it's between the Ritchie 2AC ( and the Behlen PCPE ( last one on page).

Any feedback on either of these? I'm going to check around with a few other places, but these seem to be the best choices so far.

(Mirafount is also an option, but I didn't like the models that they carry -- I think it's the ones for cattle with the floating balls.)

"If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

All my pasture fields are serviced by Ritchie drinkers. I have the tall double feeder ones on the right of the picture on the website. I've had these for years and they are superb. One thing I would say is make sure you lay a good concrete foundation for them. We sink a large plastic culvert down into the ground to about 6ft (vertically) and this houses all the electrical cables and water lines for each drinker. The culvert ends at the concrete and this is where the drinker attaches to everything.

We did build one with a wooden platform and it is not good as the wood moves with the temperatures and climates, so we will get rid of this eventually and do a concrete base on this one just like all the others.