The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer and horse shows

We board at a small barn where I ride in local shows in the hunter/jumping classes.

Wondering what your trainer does to prepare you weeks before horse shows?

Also, what should my expectations be at the shows with my trainer. Should she be warming me up before each class and be present during my class?

Usually in the weeks leading up to a show we work on courses. My trainer will also school my horse a couple of times.

At the show my mare does the pre-greens with my trainer and then I show her later on. She will warm me up before my division, go over the courses and then she walks me into the ring. After each class we go over my trip and breakdown the good, the bad and the ugly.
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
    -- William Shakespeare

We have DD's horse in full training at a barn that does both the local circuit and the AA's. Prior to horseshows the kids have lessons that work on their positions both on the flat and over fences and focus on what they compete in whether it is hunters, eq or jumpers. The trainer also schools the horses as needed prior to the horseshow and at the show. And in the case of my DD's horse she also will show him sometimes in th pro divisions.

Last summer right before we left for two weeks at Pebble Beach the trainer ran the lessons that day just like a horseshow. The kids went in the ring and warmed up their horseson their own, then the trainer had them jump a few warmup jumps. After that everyone exited the ring and the trainer gave the riders the course and they each jumped it. Those of us spectating were then asked to score the round and tell why we came up with the score.

At the horseshows the trainer warms everyone up prior to them going into the ring. She also goes over the courses with the riders and does the coursewalks. We are very lucky to have found a great trainer!

In the two weeks prior my lessons will focus on stuff I might have issues with at the show. For example: I have an eq final coming up. We've been working on rollbacks, trot fences, cantering in/trotting out of lines, bending lines, etc. She also makes sure I'm "sacked out" to height, or whatever I might see that could freak me out.

At shows, I do my own flat warm up and O/F is she's not available. If she is available, we will do a few warm up fences to make sure everything is fine and then I go in the ring.

I've usually already memorized all my courses before I ever get on, but at some point, we'll go over the course and how to ride it. I watch a few rounds once the class is started and if my trainer has been able to watch as well, we'll revise plan if something looks like it's riding funny.

I'm actually pretty independent and don't require much help. If my trainer is available, I'll take the help, if not, I have no problem doing the whole thing on my own.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

You need to speak with your trainer now so you aren't hanging around waiting to be told something only to find out she thought you knew what to do & oops now it's horse show time. Everybody is going to have a different program or expectation level.

For example--my horse is not in a training program nor does my trainer have any type of lesson/show requirements. If I want to show, it is up to me to practice & make sure my horse is fit/prepared (unless I put horse in a training program). Also I need to schedule my own lessons. If I only want to jump twice before the show, that is all I schedule lesson wise. If I want to have more lessons, then I need to schedule more. Typically I will lesson once a week a month before the 1st show to get back in shape. If we show multiple weeks in a row I don't lesson at home inbetween (unless there's an issue to resolve). I have an older experienced horse so I do only as much jumping as he needs to get ready. If I need to jump more, I find another horse to lesson on.

At the shows--I am self care so my trainer meets me at the ring. I show jumpers so we walk the course together & plan. Depending where I go in the order, we may watch a few rounds & continue discussing my course. I then get on & meet in the schooling ring where he schools me. I show in my class & then after we discuss my round. Thank trainer & off he goes.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Thank you for the responses.

Sometimes the classes conflict with other riders classes from the barn. How does your trainer handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by remedyroo View Post
    Thank you for the responses.

Sometimes the classes conflict with other riders classes from the barn. How does your trainer handle that?
    For me, most experienced goes it alone.

Other trainers might do the following:

1. Have an assistant help the rider.

2. Have a more experienced rider help if no assitant is available.

3. Hold up the ring because the student isn't capable of doing anything on their own or has to feel like they are getting their money's worth.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Our trainer tries to accomodate all of her riders and if there are conflicts she always lets the backgate people know. If one rider is in an undersaddle class at the same time another one is jumping in a class then she will give pointers to the flat rider and go with the one jumping to their ring. She also has more experienced riders help less experienced ones if needed.

When I started showing I would ride more often a couple weeks before the horse shows. Now that I am an adult I ride 3-4x a week which is more then I rode as a Junior. I'm constantly hacking out and working on me and my horse. When I'm not in a lesson I really work on transitions, framing up, suppleness. I also do a lot of no stirrup work on my own, I also find working on suppleness without stirrups helps.

In lessons we work on grids and courses and my position, pace etc. When I started showing my trainer would warm me up and be there at the rail of every class. Now that I've been showing for a long time and my trainer has a ton of kids at all the shows (most with more money and more wrecked nerves then I) I'm allowed to do the Flat without her there, and half the time during my over fence classes she walks away, unless I'm the only one there. I don't mind it and since I don't get as much attention I pay a smaller training fee.

We always work on things that we're most likely to see at shows a few weeks before the show. Most of the riders at my barn are jumpers, so in a group lesson we'll do some technical work and then do a couple courses in the jumper ring. With the trainer/ring conflict thing, if my coach is with another rider at the ring and I need to school, the BO (coach's mom) will school us and sometimes put us in the ring. I'm used to training with all of the trainers at my barn so as long as someone is at the ring when I go in I'm fine. I'd be fine with schooling on my own though if I had to.