The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry Cleaners and Tailored Sportsman breeches

I seem to have a problem with the dry cleaners (several) frying the patches on my breeches. I guess maybe they use too much steam when they press them or something, but my pants come back with sandpaper patches.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to bring the patches back to life? Thanks.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

There should never be a problem with those patches. There is the possibility your cleaners laundered them instead and used a hot press (no fabric covering the press) which would indeed fry them.
    If the breeches are dry cleaned according to manufacturer's label, they should come out perfectly fine.
    The appearance shouldn't matter so much, they get worn down from use anyway and don't show when you're in the saddle. If they are stiff, though, you might try brushing them with a soft brush.
    Find out where other show people are getting their britches cleaned satisfactorily.

When I used to take my daughters I always reminded them not to touch the patches. Same cleaners everytime, they remember me to this day. Always ask about my daughter. That's because I always pointed out the patches to them. They took great care each time.
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Just wash them inside out in cold water and hang to dry.

I had several pairs that had their knee patches destroyed by dry cleaners. Not only is washing them yourself a lot cheaper, it also won't destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    Just wash them inside out in cold water and hang to dry.

I had several pairs that had their knee patches destroyed by dry cleaners. Not only is washing them yourself a lot cheaper, it also won't destroy them.
    I second that. The patches seemed to get hard at the dry cleaners. I wash mine in my washer on cold, then hang dry. Mind you, I have several pairs that are 15+ years old!

Funny, my TS's have never been fried at the cleaners?? My understanding is that water ruins the goat skin patches...

Thanks for the help. I found another thread about washing Tailored Sportsmans so I may try that b/c I have pointed out the patches to different cleaners AND this newest dry cleaner was recommended by my trainer, so I KNOW they see a LOT of breeches. Oh, well; they're still wearable, just scratchy.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Save your money. Wash gentle cycle cold with some leather therapy.

I've been doing mine like this for years and do use the leather therapy conditioner, have never had a problem.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I'm a true rebel...I wash AND dry mine in the dryer (with everything else...jeans, t-shirts, etc)...no problems here.

I too had knee patch issues when I took my TS breeches to the dry cleaner. Therefore I also became a convert and wash them myself. Gentle cycle, cold water with woolite, and hand to dry, and I am on my third year with the same two pairs and they still look almost new. Much cheaper, quicker, and easier.

i have done britches both ways -dry cleaner and laundry. until ocala this year i never had a problem. the dry cleaner the hotel used in florida destroyed the patches on 4 pairs of my britches- basically shrunk the patches so i couldn't even get my leg in them. i called taylored sportsman and they replaced all the patches for 50 dollars a pair.
    i now always give instructions not to touch the patches or do them my self with colored laundry and haven't had a problem