The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to fix this jumping problem?

I need some COTH wisdom! I got a new lesson horse in April and he is fabulous, but doesn't know much. He's very sweet and willing to try, but not really a 'thinker'. He's great for W/T/C lessons, but we've started him over x-rails and I've come across a problem I've never had to deal with before.

He jumps very nicely with his front end, but has no clue what to do with his hind end. I've jumped him a few times and have had a few students take him over fences as well as a friend who rides him fairly regularly. So.... any advice about how to teach him to pick up his HIND end??? We've all tried giving him extra leg at the base, I've tried getting him to long spots, deep spots, good spots, etc. to see if it changes. Not really. Every now and then he jumps wonderfully, but I don't know how to get it more consistent. We're doing lots of transitions and I've put him through a very small grid, but I'm hesitant to put him through a tougher grid as I would if he were lazy with his front end.

So, anyone have any exercises to try? Tips? I'll try anything!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Watching spurce meadows yesterday and the announcers said something that has to do with this.

They have to learn. There is not much you can do with the back end to help them along, there are things you can do with the front end but not really the back. These were my thoughts exactly. Just keep practicing. Give him a little more leg. Maybe make the jumps a little more spooky so maybe he'll learn to pick up the back because he doesn't want to touch it. If he is so green he should figure it all out eventually. Its hard for a greenie to figure out where everything should be and go over a jump and it takes them time. Use wooden poles also not pvc.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Just wondering do you put boots on him when you jump?
    My big mare had problems picking up those hind legs too. I stopped using boots on her for a while and used my heavy-ish wood poles once she hit on of those that was enough to make her think about her hind.
    Sounds mean now that I read it over she wasn't hurt or anything just a wake up call!
    I also found that a bigger jumping effort/bigger jump got her focuse.

Hope it helps

I don't put boots on, but while my friend was riding him today I gave her the ok to put the jumps up a tiny bit (2' verticals as opposed to x-rails). I was hesitant; I thought it was going to be a recipe for disaster. BUT, he was awesome! Thanks for the encouragement just to push through! I guess he will put some effort into it! (once he is required to do so!)
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Another thing you could try would be low wide oxers.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but has he been checked by a vet? When my horse had hock issues, he was perfectly sound during a lesson except when my coach pointed out that he was not picking up his back left, only his back right, and pulling rails. He wasn't lame, but we had him checked and hocks injected and now he's fine. Just a thought