The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Magnesium

I originally had another question to ask, but found the answer before posting . So, here's my other question.

Those that feed MagOx 56% (or another form of "pure" magnesium oxide) how much do you feed daily?

From another thread, Melyni stated:
    1oz= 28g
    Mag Ox is 56% Mg, thus 28g of Mag Ox supplies 28 X 0.56= 15.68g of Mg.
    Just curious because I think I am going to finally switch to another form of magnesium, as the Magnesium 5000 Pellets (MVP makes) is getting to be too spendy to purchase every month. I've got two horses on magnesium and I'm looking for a slightly cheaper alternative. The one horse gets almost no grain, which is why the pellets are great, but ...

And, MagOx is MagOx, right? I can purchase thru my feed dealer (if they carry it... gotta check) or thru someplace such as HorseTech and expect to have essentially the same product (minus the Famous Amos cookies ), right?

I'm looking to feed anywhere from 5000mg to 10,000mg of magnesium daily.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I can't even buy MgOx here. No one carries it anymore, maybe because it's so dusty. Wish I could find it.

A friend in ID used to use it and couldn't believe I couldn't find it here. She thought I was lying. Well, now she can't get it either, hehe, and apologized to me.

I buy Remission for the MG and I really like the product. It's a lot cheaper than Quiessence, and a big bucket lasts 2 horses throughout the 3 *green* seasons.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I can't even buy MgOx here. No one carries it anymore, maybe because it's so dusty. Wish I could find it.

A friend in ID used to use it and couldn't believe I couldn't find it here. She thought I was lying. Well, now she can't get it either, hehe, and apologized to me.
    I'm not too worried about not being able to find it. If I can't get it locally, I know I can get it from HorseTech.

I buy Remission for the MG and I really like the product. It's a lot cheaper than Quiessence, and a big bucket lasts 2 horses throughout the 3 *green* seasons.
    I wouldn't mind using Remission, but my boys don't need the chromium... and at 14mg/oz that's a lot (least a lot more then what's offered in Quiessence).
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Check your local feed stores. Mine will sell it to me by the pound.

I feed it to my guys-it took me a while to track it down but here's what I found out. It's made by Nutrena-any Nutrena dealer in your area should be able to call Nutrena and special order it if they don't carry it normally in the store (no one in my area does, so I have to special order it). Now, it seems like it's on some super-secret sales list or something so it might not show up on your local stores list of nutrena products, but if they call and ask nutrena directly for magnesium they should be able to ship it out. I get a 50lb bag for just under $25.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone... but still... no answer to my question.

How much MagOx do you give your horse daily? Just trying to crunch numbers to see if it'll make sense to try it or not.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I can't answer for MgO, but I feed epsom salts at 1/4 cup per day to my 1200lb mare. My friend's 900lb mare gets 2T or 3T per day. The 1/4 cup works out to around 10g per day if I remember correctly. The cost is $3 to $4 per month at the 1/4 cup dose.

I feed MagOx from the big bag ordered thru the feed store (yes, Nutrtena dealer), and have fed almost every other form of magnesium. I am not scientific, just toss part of a scoop into each bucket, probably about a tablespoon each. The attitude of all 4 horses is the same (better) as when they are on the name brand Mg with the measured scoop.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Thanks Plumcreek. That's what I was looking for.

And Hampton Bay... I remember talking before about epsom salts :-) I may try that again or I may not. It never caused any issues with my boys so I know I won't have to worry about any ill side-effects .
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I feed appx 7g of Mg. per horse daily. I forget the math, but its around a level teaspoon (or hair less) of MagOx.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I feed appx 7g of Mg. per horse daily. I forget the math, but its around a level teaspoon (or hair less) of MagOx.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to check with the local feed store tomorrow when I get more grain to see if they carry MagOx (or their version). Otherwise I'll order from HorseTech.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Those that feed MagOx 56% (or another form of "pure" magnesium oxide) how much do you feed daily?

I am curious to what the benefit of magnesium oxide is, calming? I tried it on Fharoah but it didn't work for him, was just wondering what the possible benefits were?

You may wonder if MG is working as a moderate calmer, but don't run out of it a week before a show, or horse will rebound at the show and you will definately know it was working.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I feed MgO 56% about 1oz daily, it is a lot but my mare seems to do best on this dose. It does not seem to have the effect of calming her but it stops her muscles from being rock hard and she tolerates excercise better.
    Fair and kind, but with authority... - Jennie Loriston-Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    Thanks everyone... but still... no answer to my question.

How much MagOx do you give your horse daily? Just trying to crunch numbers to see if it'll make sense to try it or not.
    I fed 1 tablespoon for a 1000 lb horse.

I feed my horse his mag thru Smartpak's product called Smartcalm which the daily dose of mag is 5,000 mg. I was looking for a bit of a higher dose though. Comes in pellets and runs me about $19.00 a month in their wells. I have his blood drawn every year and his range is always in the normal. Hope this is helpful.

Dug out my handy dandy kitchen scale and according to it 1 oz of MagOx equals 2 tablespoons.

About an ounce daily to horse who has had muscle issues in the past. Horse is about 1100lbs. I buy it from Horsetech. My feed store looked at me like I'd grown two heads when I asked them if they carried it...

Apologize for dredging up an old thread, but I had the same question and want to make sure I'm doing teh math correctly before I start my mare.

Using these numbers: 1oz= 28g
    Mag Ox is 56% Mg, thus 28g of Mag Ox supplies 28 X 0.56= 15.68g of Mg.

And according to Rodio, 1 oz is approximately 2 tbsp, that means that 2 tbsp of MagOx will provide 15,680 milligram of Magnesium. Correct?

So if i wanted to feed 10,000 milligrams (which is what a lot of supplements are), I woudl feed slightly less than 2 tablespoons?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I am pretty sure the powder is 56% MgO, not 56% Mg

Mg = 24.3050 g/mol
    O = 15.9994 g/ mol
    MgO = 40.3044 g/mol ...Mg is about 60% of MgO by mass

someone else can do the stoichiometry for you. I need paper & my brain is rusty