The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Look at this nonsense!

I hesitate to post this because its such complete and utter BS but chose to out her because she posts and another "expert" ala Sarah Stetson so she deserves to be ridiculed.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Beet-Pu...tory&id=759474

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Haven't seen a cluster like this since the election.

And I'd very much like to know who gave this piece of cheese "certifications" in any of the "specialties" she claims. Sounds like a Texas-sized load of manure to me.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I especially like where it says if a horse isn't able to digest beet pulp their hind ends shut down and they get weak in the hind end. If there were pounds of undigested beet pulp in there they would do a hell of a lot more than get weak. Die is more like it.

Oh I am chuckling away here. Yes you are quite right to ridicule Sarah Stetson - the girl is a total eejit! She does give me a good laugh though, bless her little cotton socks.

However on a serious note ... she really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near other people or a computer, her information is laughable at best, pretty darned dangerous at worst!

What a...I...Fruitbats?

rofl
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Wow, there are so many things wrong with that it's not even funny.

I was going to say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing," but that would assume that there's even a little knowledge there...
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default What a load of BS

Hmmm...I fed beet pulp to my old pony for years. She died at the ripe old age of 44 fat, shiny and sassy. Never heard her complain about a weak hind end: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1143349940
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I am guessing all of mine should be pullign themselves around by their front hooves by now,,,sheesh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Shhhh don't tell my rescue horse that his shiny coat and nice weight gain didn't have anything to do with his beloved beet pulp!

He just started learning to jump... please don't tell him he is supposed to have a weak hind end either! He has his heart set on being a pony jumper for some lucky girl someday!

ETA I am pretty sure that the tops are cut off with a machine at harvest time, not sprayed with chemicals as stated in the article.
    Last edited by HeartsongHorses; Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add more info

shhhh, don't tell the horse we had that did 50 mile rides that he was weak in the hind end. He got NO hay, because he was allergic to it. At night, we fed him a water bucket full of soaked beet pulp, so he could nibble all night.

Oh, yeah, he also evented at Prelim. which he would NOT have been able to do if he was not breathing and coughing.

Beet pulp is unnatural and very high in sugar. Horse Twinkies.

This sort of stuff ticks me off so badly.

This chickie is just another one of many who are skirting the practicing veterinary medicine without a license. They give anything good about alternative therapies a bad name. She markets about three MLM products on her website and practices the raindrop technique on animals and people.

It was later that I discovered that vets often have little to no class time on preventative health care, or nutrition, during veterinary school. For example, giving corn oil for better fat intake. Did you know that corn oil blocks the absorption of vital nutrients and minerals that the horse needs? Romeo taught me that horses thrive on being natural and it took his death to prove it to me. So I became a certified holistic equine practitioner.
    Wow, all along I thought they were really learnin' sumpin up der at Cornell Vet Hospital. I could have saved myself $2k taking Dumplin' up and just dribbled oil on him stuffed his toothless self full of hay and he probably would have lived. Damn. I messed up big.

It sounds like she has a convoluted and misguided view of EPSM going on? Weak in the hind, stifle issues, poor health and weight?
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Wow, what is scary is that some novice horse owners will see that "article" and believe it...scary what people post on the internet.

Old Aloha certainly loved her beet pulp, and now Bar Lita will be getting her fair share since winter is coming on and she's an older gal (shhh, don't tell her I said that!).

Gosh it is incomprehensible to me that the people running that website don't fact check...and allow any old yahoo to post whatever.

From her own website...

Cleansing... Did you know that 75% of all disease is eliminated just by cleaning your colon/stomach?
    Check out HerbsFirst for Colon Cleanse #1. Get it, do it, feel great.
    Okay guys, there you go, the cure to 75% of ALL disease is a clean colon. *rolls eyes* Now, I'm sure if we follow all her wisdom we can prevent the other 25% of disease then we can all live FOREVAR!! MWAHAHAHAH

EDIT:

And then there was this:
    The Work of Byron Katie
    Did you know that all disease starts with an emotion? Get your thoughts clear and life just works. Learn to do the work and all emotional pain disappears. You can do this work at home. Imagine no more fighting with your spouse friends or coworkers. Be at peace with your thoughts. Discover YOU.
    There you are folks, no more diseases at all, and all you have to do is think positively

Who certifies Certified Holistic Equine Practitioners? Is this like some of the divinity degrees we used to be able to get out of the back of Rolling Stone? What does one have to do to obtain such certification? I imagine that writing a check plays into it somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I am guessing all of mine should be pullign themselves around by their front hooves by now,,,sheesh

But, remember she has "helped" 100 horses...

I'm not a fan of beet pulp myself. I found loads of undigested BP in my IR horse's manure. At first I thought it was massive amounts of tape worm segments !!! In addition, pelleted types I tried, especially Blue Seal, were loaded with sand. Shreds were typically much cleaner. Even so, I won't feed it anymore, low sugar or no.

oy--thats funny!

Sadly i've had some interesting run-in's with this person at the tracks.

So, Dr. Eleanor Kellon now works for the Division of Motor Vehicles?

As for what that "author" says about what Dr. Harman (my favorite chiro) has to say about beet pulp and sugar, I couldn't find any such statements on Dr. Harman's website (no surprise there). In fact, here is some of what is actually said about BP on Dr. H's website:

"For the best in nutrition, feed whole grains. The best feeds to use are oats, barley, corn and beet pulp with no added molasses...Beet pulp (without molasses) is a useful food because it is low in easy to digest sugars and can be substituted for bran in the commonly used bran mash. Beet pulp is a good source of minerals, complex (safe) carbohydrates and fiber."

I sent the link to Bracaloni's piece of garbage "article" to Dr. Harman.
    Equus Keepus Brokus