The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So - how come all these Region 3 riders.....

compete in Region 1 Championships ??
    http://dressagedaily.com/index.php?o...3:october-2009

You can declare by a certain date to compete in another regional championship. Many region 3 riders do the region 1 GAIGs when they are in VA, but not when the are in NJ. Conversely, some region 1 riders here in NC do the GAIGs in region 3 when they are in Conyers GA rather than travel up to NJ.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I am aware of the rules - my question was addressed more to motivation since it's probably a longer trip to VA. or maybe not?

I guess I just assumed you would only do that if the trip was shorter. I don't know where the region 3 finals are always held. I know sometimes Conyers, GA, and other times somewhere else farther south?
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I would rather go to VA, too. For one thing, Lexington VA is much closer - about 8 hours from Alpharetta, vs 10 hours to West Palm Beach FL. And it is a beautiful, charming historic town with lovely scenery.

Or maybe they liked the judges or show management better. ???

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    For one thing, Lexington VA is much closer - about 8 hours from Alpharetta, vs 10 hours to West Palm Beach FL.
    That's the reason, much to us local folks' dismay!

Lexington, VA is a beautiful town. Three friends of mine from region two went to the regionals and won first, second, third in 3rd level adult ammy. I went along as a groom for one. (Lexington VA was closer than Lamplight, had better footing, better stabling, two indoor rings for bad weather, etc) The town was beautiful, there was so much to see other than the show, great restraunts, we stayed in a great bed and breakfast walking distance to the horse show. Great weekend.

It's a combination of proximity, climate and cost.

If you have a choice between a 6 hour drive and a 10 hour drive that's an enormous difference. The 6-hour you can make the drive, offload everything and get the horses out, loosened up and looking around. The 10-hour drive you've got no chance. It's a two-day affair to drive, load/offload and start working each way.

Also, when the horses are starting to pop a coat up here, if you go south to Wellington for championships, the horses need to climatize to the warmer weather. That's not an overnight thing for a lot of horses. So, you've got to add a few extra days plus possibly clip them. Then, you turn right back around and drive home (re-climatize to colder weather) only to return to Wellington a month later (re-climatize again to warm weather). It's a nightmare.

And, Wellington is so expensive...especially when you're possibly looking at several extra days to climatize.

im a region 3 person in nw south carolina....

12-14 hours to wellington, 6 hours to lexington, va

I'm in GA. This year region 3 was in palm beach fl. Thats a haul for AA's that have other things they have to do also. I'm so happy that 2010 will be at the horse park in Conyers!!! I'm actually going to show more USDF and see if I can make it
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole