The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jeffries JMX monoflap saddle?

Anyone try one of these? http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/product/1...d_Event_Saddle
    Thoughts? Cheers,
    g

I had a flyover which looks like a similar design?
    Anyway, I loved the design and how it fit on the horse--it was so light and the flap just sort of floated out over the shoulder so was very comfortable for the horse.

Sadly, I just couldn't seem to stay in it--got popped out of it many times, ultimately sold it.

But I loved it, and am guessing it was just my conformation, not the saddle, that made it a poor match for me.

Thumbs up I have one of the prototypes, and I love it!

I have one of the prototypes. The designer, John Meriwether, (the JM in the name) is a local area VII eventer and saddle fitter, and he introduced me to the JMX a while ago. I was riding in a devoucoux chiberta at the time, which I loved, despite the fact that it fit neither my mare or I particularly well (but it was so pretty!)...anyhow, the JMX is a wonderful saddle. It is designed with great thought for the horse that will wear it-- wide gullet, quite adjustable, sits very nicely on the shoulder. I love the position it puts me in over fences, and find the saddle quite comfortable for hacks, jump schools and of course, XC! An added benefit is that it is quite affordable-- I could have a pair of new JMXs for less than the cost of one used chiberta (in fact, once I find a new home for the chiberta, I'm likely to get another JMX to fit my new horse!) While this saddle is very loosely based on the Flyover and manufactured by the same company, I don't think they are at all similar. I have tried the flyover a couple of times over the years, and didn't care for it at all. The JMX is a much nicer saddle. If you want additional details about the saddle, I know John would be glad to talk to you about it. PM me for his info. Two of my friends have purchased JMXs after riding in mine, and we're all sold.
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

Thanks guys!
    I'm going to be trying one very soon - kindof excited about the price too!
    Cheers,
    gl

I rode in my trainer's last spring and immediately bought my own! I absolutely love it, super comfy. I also got mine from John Merriweather, and he came out and fit it to my mare which was great.

I think at least 2, maybe 3 of my trainer's other students have also ended up buying one. The leather is really high quality, you can tell it's a saddle that'll last forever.