The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Godspeed Old Fellows

We lost two of our old guard this weekend. One had a huge internal abcess of some kind that ruptured and put him in a lot of pain. He had been on steriods for a long time due to advanced heaves, which probably made him susceptible to the infection. We were already contemplating putting him down because he couldn't breathe, and the infection/pain he was in settled the question.

The other horse had advanced navicular and hip problems and was having trouble getting up and down. We didn't want him to get in a place where he couldn't get up -- been there before and hopefully will never make that mistake again.

I am so sad to see them go. They were wonderful, giving horses and taught a lot of kids how to ride.

At least it was instantaneous. The vet is hours away and the one horse was suffering, so Dad fed them a big meal of their favorite sweet feed and our neighbor shot them while they were eating. They were not near each other so they had no idea it was coming. (It is hunting season and they are impervious to gunshot sounds.) I wish I had gotten to say goodbye.

Default I'm so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    We lost two of our old guard this weekend. One had a huge internal abcess of some kind that ruptured and put him in a lot of pain. He had been on steriods for a long time due to advanced heaves, which probably made him susceptible to the infection. We were already contemplating putting him down because he couldn't breathe, and the infection/pain he was in settled the question.

The other horse had advanced navicular and hip problems and was having trouble getting up and down. We didn't want him to get in a place where he couldn't get up -- been there before and hopefully will never make that mistake again.

I am so sad to see them go. They were wonderful, giving horses and taught a lot of kids how to ride.

At least it was instantaneous. The vet is hours away and the one horse was suffering, so Dad fed them a big meal of their favorite sweet feed and our neighbor shot them while they were eating. They were not near each other so they had no idea it was coming. (It is hunting season and they are impervious to gunshot sounds.) I wish I had gotten to say goodbye.
    I am so sorry, but it sounds like you gave them a gift. Painful for you, but a blessing for them. Hugs to you!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

So sorry for your loss....but it was the right thing to do. Hang on to your good memories, it helps

Big hugs. And so, so sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Ford, my deepest sympathy.

Your father sounds like a good, compassionate man.

Godspeed, old fellas.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

*hugs* SO so sorry for your loss, but glad that it was very quick.

So very sorry for your losses.

I am so sorry to hear about this. It sounds like they were well-loved oldsters, given a quick, painless end.