The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little kid gear?

I am planning for spring riding season for our special needs kids and I have been banking questions from parents etc about gear for their kids.

I am love browsing all the catalogs and sites but little kid stuff is not something I usually shop for. Are there any sites that give discounts for bulk purchases? The things we need are the basics...paddocks, half chaps and gloves. Nothing pricey because the kids outgrow it so fast and most of our families have some pretty serious financial needs.

I know the Saxon equi-leather paddocks are good for kids and are around $35 but are there any cheaper ones that are decent? Same with breeches. Last year I stocked up on Devon-Aire breeches when they were on sale for $12 a pair at Dover, but they are all in me and DD sizes ( ) nothing I can share with the kids. We do have some gear in bigger kid and adult sizes but nothing for our teenies. And it has been many years since DD was tiny and she didn't ride then so the kids stuff is new to me.

There has to be bargain sites out there that offer consistently low prices or bulk buys. I don't want to send parents all over on wild goose chases for gear since most of them will need to plan way ahead for the purchases or rely on us to help round them up. A bulk purchase thing would be GREAT. But the only one I can think of that does that for bunches of different sizes is Horse.com?
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Might want to check out Just Chaps USA: http://www.justchapsus.com/mystart.h...291D8C1AD102E6
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

CUTE! But way out of the price range for our families

I am thinking we could get some decent pairs in a range of sizes and have the kids share the half chaps. But gloves and shoes are sort of "personal" lol! We have a couple of pairs for kids who forget their boots but they are just pull-ons and in pretty rough shape

I was thinking about these Half-chaps

http://www.horse.com/Dublin-Easy-Car...ild-ERB11.html

and these boots

http://www.horse.com/Saxon-Childs-La...ots-ERM20.html

Both are $25-26 I am doubting we will find anything cheaper consistently? We can't afford to outfit the kids of course, but at those prices if there is a family in need we might be able to swing it as a "loaner" or something?

I just don't want to send the parents out to get something and have them fall apart after a couple of wearings. Especially when $$ is so tight for them

I'd holler at them and see if they'd do a deal/donation to the program. Couldn't hurt to ask and the worst they can say is "no."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

They have always been good about discounts etc in the past, but it has been a couple of years since I asked them to pony up. Horse.com has changed so much I am leary of asking them.

I know the kids sure would love some of those funky half-chaps

For gloves the basic knit gloves with "pebble palm" rubber grippies are good and you can get them at any dollar store. In fact the itsy bitsy size is often 2 for a dollar.

Keep your eye on tackoftheday.com you might get lucky - it changes every day.

Another thing is, breeches per se are not needed strictly speaking for light riding -- form fitting heavy weight stretch pants, like these yoga pants - work fine. You can just sew a strip of elastic under the cuff and they stay put over boots. You will need something "more official" for showing of course but from your post it sounds like the immediate need is for "everyday" stuff.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloAgain View Post
    For gloves the basic knit gloves with "pebble palm" rubber grippies are good and you can get them at any dollar store. In fact the itsy bitsy size is often 2 for a dollar.

Keep your eye on tackoftheday.com you might get lucky - it changes every day.
    WOO HOO!

I forget about the dollar store! I just put them on my list to hit tomorrow when I finally leave the house

I also found a nice cheap price on synthetic paddock boots by Dublin:
    http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/merch...ode=SHOESBOOTS

$20 - neato!

See my previous post for edits

As your program grows you can create a clothing bank -- when kids outgrow their items the parents can trade in for larger size used items, donate, or consign, and as new kids come into the program there will be used items that they can get for cheap or free.

Sometimes the local pony club have tack sales and wow the deals you can get there are quite good!
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

Found clearance dial-fit helmets (ASTM approved of course!!!) for $20 also

http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/merch...gory_Code=CHEL

Also check out www.tackwholesale.com - They've got some good "bulk buys."