The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Good ride yesterday (VAApHC Fall Trail Ride at Morven Park)

Howdy
    Just wanted to let everyone know we were blessed with good weather yesterday and had a fine outing at Morven Park in Leesburg, VA. It was mostly cloudy (sun came out here and there) and breezy with temps in the 60s. It had drizzled the night before. but the footing was fine for the rides, which was mostly on grass with some spots through wooded trails, and one bridge crossing.

I will be sending photos from the ride to the VAApHC president who should have them up on the club website soon.

We had a small but collegial turnout and everyone enjoyed themselves. Hope to do another ride there in the spring and follow up with one in the fall.

My guy got to ride in a strecth caddy-trailer from Horse Jitney trailering (www.horsejitney.com) so he had a nice big box stall to hang around in for the 70 minute ride from Maryland to Leesburg, VA.

Everyone brought their lunches to enjoy afterwards while their horses relaxed at the trailers chomping their hay. My BF Mike picked up Dunkin Donuts (and munchkins) and we also had apples and water (for people AND horses). Thanks to Morven Park staff for setting us up with porto-potty, water, table, chairs and tent!!! And thanks to our trusty ride leader Mary from the Loudon Horse Association (http://www.loudounhorseassociation.org/) for ably guiding us through this beautiful and immense estate!!!

Thanks to all who attended and for those who could not make this event we hope to see you next time!!!
    Last edited by baylady7; Nov. 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added thanks to Mary our ride leader
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Oh, I'm so glad you guys got your ride in! Sounds like a lovely day.

Alas, SpotnNotFarm and I weren't so lucky. It was a dark, cold, rainy, drippy, yucky day alllll over GA. So much for the Boo ride
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

It was, indeed, a lovely ride. I have shown at Morven Park for years upon years (and have been to the VA Equine Medical Center more than I care to think about) but have never been out on the main property. We had a chance to ride through the front yard of the mansion as well as tour much of the cross-country cross. A truly beautiful property with lots of long sight lines across rolling hills.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926