The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default gingerbread barn and jumping/dressage arena Update! Photos on post 24

For the last few years, I've been making gingerbread cookie barns for my horsie friends complete with custom colored horses and farm signs as gifts for the holidays. Now I'm thinking of adding a dressage or jumping ring to complete the picture. Brown sugar works great as "footing" but I'm drawing a blank on how to make the jump standards. Candy canes work great as rails but I can't find the right candy or food item to make the standards. Any foodies out there that could give me a suggestion?
    Last edited by kiwifruit; Nov. 17, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

What about sugar cubes stacked ontop of eachother?
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Maybe the candy canes could be the jump standards and the rails could be rope licorice?

Pretzle sticks? If you can find pictures from the National Gingerbread Competition held in Asheville at the Grove Park Inn each year, they had all sorts of extravagent fixtures. We were there last year and loved them all. Perhaps fondant candy, rolled out, cut and then layered?
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

How about strips of gingerbread for unpainted "wing" standards:
    http://www.take5equestrian.com/PicketWing2.jpg

Another option -- rather labor intensive! -- sort Smarties (US version) by color and stack them in cylinders (bonded with some icing)
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

For some types of 'wing' standards, what about piping royal icing onto a non-stick surface and letting it set up solid? You might have to reinforce the edge where the rails attach with a piece of wooden skewer or something (because the royal icing can be brittle) but if you set that in while it was drying and then piped a bit more icing on top you could probably hide it very effectively.

Marshmallows, sugar cubes, or use something else as a base layer and then alternate "Good and Plenty's"http://www.oldtimeconfections.com/Good%20&%20Plenty%20theatre.jpg (or something like it)on top of the base layer to look like a standard with bricks
    I'm not very artistic haha.

What scale are we talking?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm going to start experimenting this week to see what works best. What about the letters for the dressage arena? I was thinking small mini marshmellows with painting the letters on them. As for scale, gosh....rather on the smaller side. The barn is about 10 inches tall, the horses are 3-4 inches in height...so yeah...pretty small!

How about the old fashioned hard candies like the ribbon ones, peppermint rounds, etc.? You can break off the ribbons to the length you need, and for the rounds stack them with icing holding each to the next, etc. Jolly Ranchers unwrapped would be nice as well, and great colors there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

For dressage letters you could make small sugar cookies or gingerbread and pipe icing on the edges to make them into little boxes basically (so a cube but without a top) and then put the letters on each one. Then they can be whatever size you want. You could make jump standards out of cookies as well- "build" them out of gingerbread much like you would out of wood. Pretzel rods and hard candy sticks could also be put to use.
    My blog:

RAWR

sugar wafer cookies could be used for standards....

how about for the dressage letters using Chicklets (sp?) you know those little white squarish pieces of gum. Then you could write on it with whatever. I have to say this is just too cool... Please... Please... Please post pictures of your attempts or even progress along the way! I would LOVE to see them.

I just love creative people and live vicariously though you all (not a creative bone in my body).

you guys are making me hungry!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Mind if I ask what you make the horses out of? This all sounds really really cool!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I want to see pictures of these!!
    Love and Laughter - 2005 TB Mare - Boss Mare
    Foxfire Lacey - 2007 Half Welsh Superstar
    New Sensation - 1986- 2014 Love you to the moon and back

Pictures!!!

We need pictures!!! Your friends are very lucky.

Pirouline cookies would look very rustic, like little wooden logs. You could cut them to whatever size you wanted.

I love this idea! When I was a kid, my sisters and I would always make a gingerbread house. I never thought of doing a barn. It was all I could do to convince my mom to let me add a Breyer or two to the nativity scene. She drew the line at one of the grazing models "eating" out of baby Jesus's manger. I still maintain that Jesus would be OK with sharing.....

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique