The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Two questions about BAREBACK PADS -- repair vs. replacement

I have a bareback pad that I love. It is just suede and padding, with a canvas strap and buckle. The pad itself is in good shape but the strap and buckle need replacing.

- This pad has sentimental value as well as remaining use/value. Do you know of anyone who could redo the strap -- or even put billets so I could use a regular English girth? A bareback pad is light enough to ship so if you know someone fabulous for this kind of thing, please suggest him/her regardless of your location.

- In case that proves unfeasible, would you also please share your recommendations for bareback pads? I am only looking for (a) grip, primarily, and (b) some padding. Nothing fancy, just well-made.

Thanks!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Do you have a local tack shop that does repairs? They should be able to put billets on your bareback pad. I had my local saddler do it for me - cost maybe $10, that was a couple of years ago. (Bet we have the same pad - made by Diamond Wool? - love mine!)