The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

Default paddock boots and half chaps for the rider who only likes tall boots?

I only like to ride in tall boots, but I wore through my ariats really quickly, and now I only have derdaus left, and I really hate to wear them every day even when I'm just hacking out. Does anyone have recommendations for nice half chaps and paddock boots with a more tall boot like feel. I really don't like grippy half chaps, and I hate thick soled boots. I can't break the bank, and I need tall half chaps. Does such a beautiful combination exist?
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

As far as paddock boots go, I like my Ariat Crowne Pros. They feel pretty much the same as my various pairs of tall boots.

The half chaps I use the most right now are my Ariat Close Contacts and I like them (though the zippers don't stay zipped as well as I would like), but I don't love them. They do feel similar to my tall boots, and I've worn them a few times at shows when it's really mucky out. I've had several pairs of Grand Prixes and really liked them. I was so-so on my Tredstep TBs, and not a big fan of.....well, can't remember what brand my other ones are. I had a pair of Lende half chaps (they were cheap on Tack of the Day one day) that I really loved, but they did have oddly long elastic straps that required some hand sewing to fix. And then I have an OLD pair of Ariat Crone half chaps (before they made them with a spanish top) that feel exactly like a pair of boots, but the new ones I have are cut HORRIBLY and are ridiculously loose through the ankle, and thus have never been on a horse in the 2 years I've had them. So I guess I would have to throw my vote to the Grand Prix full grain leather half chaps. I'm kind of tempted to buy a pair of the Ariat Monaco half chaps because I love my monaco boots, but I'm not sure I really want to spend that much money on a non-custom half chap.

I second the Ariat recommendations. I have the Crown Pro paddock boots, and I have the Ariat half chaps that look like dress boots. I have very thin calves but the extra small / tall Ariat half chaps fit perfectly. My tall boots are by Vogel and my half chaps feel very similar.

There's a halfchap, I could try to remember to look what brand they are, designed to look like the leg of a tallboot. I bought a pair a long time ago when I all of a sudden got a new job and was asked to show on short notice and didn't have enough money for a real pair. You can barely tell the difference from a few yards away and they are very comfortable and sturdy. I'll try to change my profile pic to one where i'm showing in them if i have one scanned.

They are great cause you can get the look and almost the feel of a tall boot and then take them off to run aroung the barn and do busy work.
    Timothy, stop lurking

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    There's a halfchap, I could try to remember to look what brand they are, designed to look like the leg of a tallboot.
    Pretty much every brand out there has a half chap designed to look like the leg of a tallboot. Just flip through a Dover catalog and you'll find quite a few to choose from.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default Ariat Black Oiled

They are called exactly that (above). The picture on the Dover website doesn't do them justice but they are the prettiest combination I have seen. I've gotten several compliments whenever I wear mine because the hide of the paddock matches well with the half-chap. People who have commented on them say they look like I'm wearing tall boots.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Ariat and Tredstep make very nice tall boot look-alike chaps.

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

Thanks for the recommendations. I went to the dover store today and tried on many paddock boots and I settled with the ariat heritage because I'm picky about the feel on the stirrup and I have had the heritage II tall boots so I imagine the feel will be as close at it can be. I got the close contact half chaps too. Hopefully I like them!
    thanks again!
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Ariat close-contacts are great...and so easy to take care of.

They look great with jeans for casual stuff and you can wear them with breeches and still look put-together for when you want to look nice.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Hmmm...looked these up and they look like the ones I got as well. I guess 'black oiled' was the hide and color. So, yes, you will love them. They remind me of my Vogels.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Honestly, I am on the "only ride in tall boots boat" and I have yet to find a half chap I like. I own a pair of tall boots that are TuffRiders that I have had for 4+ years. They were about $160 and are still holding up. The leather and quality of them is really not that bad either! Of course I clean and polish mine everyday . Then I have a pair of nice tall boots for showing and a lesson once a week. I would look into the "cheaper" tall boots rather than half chaps. They will last twice as long.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    As far as paddock boots go, I like my Ariat Crowne Pros. They feel pretty much the same as my various pairs of tall boots.

The half chaps I use the most right now are my Ariat Close Contacts and I like them (though the zippers don't stay zipped as well as I would like), but I don't love them. They do feel similar to my tall boots,.
    I really prefer to ride in tall boots too, but have customs which I can't afford to replace in a year or two. Therefore, I also have Ariat paddock boots and the oiled leather Ariat Close Contact half chaps. They definitely give a similar feel and have held up nicely too.

For those of you who "have" to ride in tall boots, why not look into a cheaper option for "schooling" boots? I got a pair of Mt. Horse dress boots for under $200 on sale and wear them daily. I am madly in love, and the reason I purchased them was because it was cheaper than buying new paddocks and a new pair of half chaps!