The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on leasing a mare?

Alright, looking for some input here. I have the opportunity to free lease a very nice Hanoverian, Cabalito, filly, turning 3, or possibly her dam (out of Gold Luck). This would be my first time breeding. And the resulting foal would be the first horse i actually own. (I am not in any way new to horses, this was not a "FOALS ARE CUTE..MAYBE ILL MAKE ONE!" type deal)

However, i am currently working at a breeding facility (that has an SBS on site) and could have discounts on stud fees, board, etc. But am also about to start college in the spring. All of this i will have to finance myself.

I want to do this more than anything in the entire world. I will do absolutely whatever it takes to make sure i can pay for it. I've always had to pay for everything to do with riding and horses myself, and had 2 jobs all while finishing my senior year and competing on an equestrian team...So financing is nothing new to me. But is this, objectively, a horrible decision?

I can't say I feel it's a horrible decision, but inview of all you have on your plate already, taking on a foal might be biting off a lot more to chew. I think it's admirable that you've done as much as you have, but speaking at least from personal experience, there are only so many hours in the day, and we've got a Grandom foal that is getting the proverbial" lick and a promise" because of our other committments ( work, 2 kids, getting them thru gradeschool, other horses and show schedules to deal with, keeping a house). The reality of it is, you need to sit down and seriously look at your time/schedule to see if one more thing will fit. I'm sure whatever you do, it will be the best, most informed choice you can make. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! Considering i do not have the space, or the time, i would be boarding the foal at the facility with their Raising Dept, so i guess in the end i need to decide if financially i can support the endeavor.

What are the chances you can put it off for just 1 year to see whether you CAN handle it all, while in college, especially since you're just starting school in the breeding season?

If you guess wrong on how much time you'll have to make money to support the endeavor (on the 'there are only so many hours in the day' theory), by the time you know that, it's not like you can get the mare un-pregnant & have a do-over.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

If you're talking about where I think you are probably talking about, that board will be about $800-$900 per month. I couldn't swing that with a good job, can you??? Really???????
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Where are you talking about Tiki, just curious? I am seeing more in the 375-450$ range a month for board.

And thanks for the responses. What i'm thinking of doing is deferring until the fall, and working from now until then to both earn and save enough for it to all work. I graduated a year early to begin with, so it's not like i'm starting later than anyone else my age.

You might be better off saving for a couple of years and buying a foal. That way you will get exactly what you want.