The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dressage saddles...anyone do custom?

we are really ready for a dressage saddle...GREAT - except that Rasta is NOT an "off the rack" kind of boy - that figures, considering my budget. The custom route will be the way we go...please give suggestions/comments.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

RFI, I can't believe you don't have the list memorized from your close contact rundown. Are you looking for suggestions in a certain price range? Once you go below about $3000, the laundry list gets a lot smaller...
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

DO NOT give me grief here, dear Jenny...new saddles are a major life choice for me as you all too well know! Had the very best ride today in my Amerigo close contact...am thinking of tatooing "the spot" on Rasta's back to place the saddle so its balanced - I am NOT kidding!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Well FWIW, the Amerigo Pinerolo Alto is the corresponding dressage saddle to your Vesuvio (same tree but with slightly elongated front points). My dear friend in Michigan, the one who went through the same hell that you did and ended up with the same Vesuvio that you did, went through re-hell when she went a'dressage-shoppin' one year later. The horse went okay-ish in the Devoucoux Makila but the angels didn't sing again until they went for the Pinerolo Alto. Tell Atlanta Saddlery that you'd like to see the 17.5" XW Alto that they allegedly have on their used rack...

Other than that, you know the drill. Black Country, Duett, Stackhouse, etc.

PS--Thank god padding up is still working for my Amerigo, but I too need to get huntin' for someone in Ohio that I trust to adjust the flocking. My front flocking has settled too. Such is the curse of buying a brand new saddle!
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Well FWIW, the Amerigo Pinerolo Alto is the corresponding dressage saddle to your Vesuvio (same tree but with slightly elongated front points). My dear friend in Michigan, the one who went through the same hell that you did and ended up with the same Vesuvio that you did, went through re-hell when she went a'dressage-shoppin' one year later. The horse went okay-ish in the Devoucoux Makila but the angels didn't sing again until they went for the Pinerolo Alto. Tell Atlanta Saddlery that you'd like to see the 17.5" XW Alto that they allegedly have on their used rack...

Other than that, you know the drill. Black Country, Duett, Stackhouse, etc.

PS--Thank god padding up is still working for my Amerigo, but I too need to get huntin' for someone in Ohio that I trust to adjust the flocking. My front flocking has settled too. Such is the curse of buying a brand new saddle!
    Thanks, Jenny! Am just tired of having to "rig" a very expensive saddle...

RFI, check this out:

http://www.mysaddle.com/MYSADD~3/CaryContact.html

I did not know anything about this, though I could stand outside my front door and yell real loud, and they'd probably hear me!

Have a great friend with a BIG, hard-to-fit WB who had this guy make a saddle for them. They are HAPPY, and that is saying alot. They don't put up with crap. That said, I haven't seen the saddle but I do really trust their judgment. Also, if you can catch the guy when he's in the shop and not out travelling the world and doing fittings, he apparently has tons of demos right there in the store and will let you try.

I know you've been through the ringer re: saddles, and just thought I'd throw this out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dazey View Post
    RFI, check this out:

http://www.mysaddle.com/MYSADD~3/CaryContact.html

I did not know anything about this, though I could stand outside my front door and yell real loud, and they'd probably hear me!

Have a great friend with a BIG, hard-to-fit WB who had this guy make a saddle for them. They are HAPPY, and that is saying alot. They don't put up with crap. That said, I haven't seen the saddle but I do really trust their judgment. Also, if you can catch the guy when he's in the shop and not out travelling the world and doing fittings, he apparently has tons of demos right there in the store and will let you try.

I know you've been through the ringer re: saddles, and just thought I'd throw this out there.
    thanks, and HI!!!!! Hope all is well down PTF way!

Going the Stackhouse route, but have never played the custom game before Anyone up for joining a fitting trip to Ga/Fl on the weekend of November 14/15? Very much looking forward to getting the Intermediate horse the dressage saddle of his dreams (ok, maybe mine, but I'm sure he won't mind either!).

Default Custom Saddlery all the way..

Def. try out Custom Saddlery's line of dressage saddles. I actually just bought the new monoflap yesterday!! They produce an extremely balanced saddle that really puts you close to the horse.. i have never ever felt anything like it before. Hands down one of the best saddles i've ever sat in!

oh and they WONT break the bank!!!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Here is someone who does custom and travels to measure, will be in US week of November 16th http://www.equinefit.com/pages/equinefitUS.html

http://equationsaddlery.com/dressage-saddles/

http://mikecorcoransaddlery.blogspot.com/

http://www.richardcastelow.com/

You might talk to these folks: http://www.advancedsaddlefit.com/dre...s-detente.html Don't go by only what is on the website. It seems they may be set up to do custom.

Also, http://www.schurersaddlefit.com/aboutSS.html who may be able to point you to options
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by TrakEventer View Post
    Going the Stackhouse route, but have never played the custom game before Anyone up for joining a fitting trip to Ga/Fl on the weekend of November 14/15? Very much looking forward to getting the Intermediate horse the dressage saddle of his dreams (ok, maybe mine, but I'm sure he won't mind either!).
    There's also a Stackhouse visit schedule for the Dallas Ft. Worth area sometime soon....

I have both a jumping and dressage saddle (it was a very large bet. I won. ). I LOVE them. My horse loves them. I KNOW they fit us both, and that makes me feel better when I ride. I can just work on my balance, etc. Before I was padding a lot, and never sure my horse was comfy. I'm sure he is now. At least when I ride well.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoshorses View Post
    I LOVE them. My horse loves them. I KNOW they fit us both, and that makes me feel better when I ride. I can just work on my balance, etc. Before I was padding a lot, and never sure my horse was comfy. I'm sure he is now. At least when I ride well.
    Another huge Stackhouse fan here! I've had my monoflap jump saddle for about a month, and both my horse and I absolutely love it. No pony back pain, no problems with my knee hanging over the flap, and it's super comfortable and perfectly balanced. My only complaint is that the saddle didn't come with a guarantee of all blue ribbons....I thought for sure it would make all my bad riding disappear!

I highly recommend them if you're serious about getting a truly custom saddle.

Default Richard Castelow

I have a dressage saddle, it is fabulous. Very similar to Passier in style, no big blocks, great balanced seat.

I had a Prestige 200D which I liked, until I sat in this one. WOW.

Nancy

Stubben is great, they make wonderful custom saddles. www.stubbennorthamerica.com