The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Options for blind horse

I have been reading these boards for a while but this is my first post. I am out of ideas.

I acquired a horse in April of last year. He was a "rescue" type horse that was severely underweight. He is also blind, chokes, and has issues with dust. We have been working with the vet, got him back to good weight and soak his food. As far as our vet can tell nothing can be done about his eyes.

Sadly my circumstances have changed and I have to cut back on horses. Finances and lack of time make it hard to justify keeping him. While the horse rides great with a confident rider outside he does not do well with beginners in the indoor - he just doesn't move for them.

I have put up several adds looking for a good home for this guy. He does not spook, has a great trot, stops on a dime, and does everything a rider asks. He spend the summer being used as a trail horse for a nervous rider and was great at it - but they had to return him to me (again finances)

I am out of ideas on options for this horse so am asking for more. He is located just outside Atlanta Georgia - but I am willing to drive him about 6 hours each way if needed.

I have considered euthanasia and am willing to take that option but I am hoping I can come up with something better. He is happy. He loves scratches. He can come in from his turn out and find his stall (in the middle of the barn) without too much help.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh man, I have a soft spot for blind horses (have a 100% blind one myself), but it's not easy. I find it to be incredibly rewarding and certainly wouldn't discourage someone from taking on a blind horse - assuming they have some idea of what they're getting into...
    The facts that the horse chokes and has issues with dust must be making your job placing him that much harder. I'd see if anyone over on "Giveaways" has any ideas before you give up.
    Y'all ain't right!

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sending good thoughts for this guy.

My mare is going blind from uveitis so I too have a soft spot for these guys but we rescued a pony in the spring and are FULL.

PLEASE be careful about where you place him. Honestly, if you can't find an ideal situation it would be more humane to put him down than risk him ending up on a meat truck to Mexico...

Make it simple - give him love an euthanise.

no advice...just sending good thoughts his way! i have a 100% horse (blind in 1 eye and missing the other) but he lives outside with 2 others, knows his way around the property, still enjoys running and playing, and is just a great guy! he has no idea hes blind! good luck!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    PLEASE be careful about where you place him. Honestly, if you can't find an ideal situation it would be more humane to put him down than risk him ending up on a meat truck to Mexico...
    I believe it's illegal to ship a blind horse to slaughter. Not that it ensures a good home, just an FYI. I agree that it would take a very special home for a blind horse.
    Y'all ain't right!

I also have a soft spot for blind horses - my dressage/show horse is 100% blind in one eye, 70-80% blind in the other and has squamous cell carcinoma on his good eye so might lose that one too. Rehoming a blind horse is HARD, I know. Even rescues are tough - not very many are set up to take fully blind horses. I'm in South Dakota, and the rescue I adopt from CAN take fully blind horses but arrangements have to be made - and that's a long way from Atlanta. But I'd be happy to give you that information if you wanted. Maybe a trailer train could be done if they could take him in. Otherwise, I would suggest calling around to rescues, maybe contact blindhorses.org and see if they know of any rescues in the area that take in blind horses. The last fully blind horse I know went through the rescue was a beautiful riding horse as well, and was able to go to a riding program, but if your boy doesn't do well in an arena that won't help much.

And yes - "technically" it is illegal to ship a blind horse to slaughter. I doubt that would stop anyone though.

Sending you my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I believe it's illegal to ship a blind horse to slaughter. Not that it ensures a good home, just an FYI. I agree that it would take a very special home for a blind horse.
    You really think that the people who buy/sell horses for slaughter have that high of a regard for the LAW????

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    You really think that the people who buy/sell horses for slaughter have that high of a regard for the LAW????
    Not especially, but it seems they run the risk of having to haul a horse that won't be accepted at its destination... I know that the 'dealer' didn't want my mare when he realized she was blind (in just one eye back then).
    Y'all ain't right!

I had a horse go blind and we got along just fine.

If you want to know about caring for and options for them, you might want to PM Lori, screen name snkstacres. She has a BUNCH of blind ones.

When I lived in Germany I made friends with a couple who owned a few hobby horses. One of them was completely blind.

They had two small (football field size) fields in the back of their property and a run in shed. The fields were fairly flat but both had a fair amount of trees in them.

They told me that when they first got the blind horse he was very still and slow moving. He made friends with one of their other horses and followed her around to get his bearings. I didn't get to see it myself but they told me that when they switch them from one field to another he will follow the mare like a shadow for 2-3 days and after that he knows the field well enough to go about his day acting like a completeyl normal horse.

I saw him goof around in the filed when he had been in it for a while and I wouldn't have been able to tell he wasn't normal.

They told me to make noices to let him know I was coming or he might be spooked but I would not have been able to guess wich one of the three horses was the blind one had I not been told.

Something to think about before you decide that this horse can no longer enjoy life and the best option is to euthanize.

If the horse is terribly uncomfortable and upset and doesn't seem to adjust to life without eyes over some time then maybe it's for the best to put him down but if you have the option to care for him still give him a chance. Horses are very adaptable and who's to say he can't still enjoy his life?
    Timothy, stop lurking

These people have a blind herd maybe they can help http://www.horsenethorserescue.org/sponsor.htm

OP is trying to rehome the horse - that's what she means by options. She seems very capable and knowledgable about caring for him since she's had him since April.

Where are you located? We have an awesome facility here in KY who takes blind horses. I can put you in contact with them if needed. PM me.
    Don't breed- Adopt your steed!
    Mountain View Rescue

I am familiar with the OP's barn since I board about 6 miles from her.

It's Hiram, Georgia (Paulding County - west of Atlanta)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Man I have such a soft spot for the blind ones since I have one that is completely blind. Although after this past weekend he had me so mad I could spit, LOL! Three days of camping and riding, each day I figured he would be tired the next day and wouldn't be so hot, the next day he was hotter, thought he would be tired the third day, he was as hot as I had ever seen a horse! All he wanted to do was run and he learned to grab and avoid the bit, not GOOD on a blind horse! All we did on that last day was fight so we just went back to camp.

But I love him, he is fun, and it's amazing what he can do, most people don't know he's blind.

Good luck with your boy! My inn is full or I would love to have him, but I really am at capacity, actually probably two horses past that...

I sure hope you can find him a home...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Thanks. I love him to death and enjoy riding him, and think he would make someone a great horse. I just feel like I am hitting brick walls trying to find him somewhere. He is 1 of 2 blind horses I currently have - the other is my long time pet who loves good fast trail rides and being used as a "demo" horse during lessons.

One of my students has been riding him some lately but they are unable to commit to taking care of a horse - military family.

Yes, he is located in Hiram GA - west of Atlanta. I am willing to haul him pretty much anywhere if its a great home.