The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I *made* a driving helmet/hat!

I took a helmet I didn't need and a straw hat that needs replacing before spring and made a driving helmet! The only thing I bought was the fabric for the hatband/scarf.

I used my dremel and a cutting wheel to cut the brim off the helmet. Took longer to put the dremel pieces together than to cut the brim off.

I sanded then spray painted the helmet with good Krylon paint. Not sure yet how I feel about the green. I would like it better if it had been a matte finish paint.

I cut the entire brim off the straw hat, leaving the part with the band. I reinforced all the cut edges with white glue painted on with my hand in a baggie.

I stuck sticky velcro on the helmet and straw hat in 3 places, then stuck them together. There was a gap in the back and I used leftover hat crown to fill it in. You'll see that in the pic of the back of the finished hat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/...52c5b737_o.jpg

Then I sewed up the *scarf* and pinned it on the straw in 2 places.

Here's my finished helmet/hat, with a wide brim to keep the sun out of my eyes, and more suited to driving in the country than a riding helmet is. It doesn't make my head look so huge, and the bright scarf adds visability. And my head will be fully protected just in case.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/...2bd62f0c_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/...e7248c52_o.jpg
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Clever you! Well done!

LOL That was starting to sound really scary... but it doesn't look that bad!

I do agree about the green. But whatever. (You can always add some fake flowers!! )

Always better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of green except in nature. Maybe I'll see if I can find a nice tan. My mom gave me a green purse for my b'day and I was aghast and have nothing to go with it, but I kept it because she's old and ya never know which will be the *last* gift. Dagnabbit if the green on the helmet doesn't match the purse perfectly! I could be properly accessorized (in my *bag lady* riding clothes) if I took my purse driving with me!

Hey, it couldn't look any worse than wearing a big bubble-head helmet. NO one here wears them while riding, and driving in one would be unthinkable. The few drivers I see wear big old farmer hats.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Congrats on a job well done. I hd to laugh, because I recognize the hat brim--I have the same hat for my outside work. Hmmmmm, maybe you have given me a project!!!

As for others who don;t wear helmets in your area, just remember it is your head.

When I came out with my first riding helmet with my riding buddies many many years ago, I was the first. I told everyone they had one chance to laugh, make jokes at my expense, say whatever they wanted this one time for about 10 minutes. Then I never wanted to hear another thing about a brain bucket again. Eventually they all came to wearing one also. Surprising aside from a few silly statements which were fun, no one ever gave me any crap.

Last year when Sami and I were out on the wagon trail in WY, the wife of the wagon master was in charge of the outriders. She is in her mid 60s. There was a friend of hers on the ride with us who was sporting a helmet. This gal was approaching 80. The first gal gave the 2nd gal some good natured fun about wearing a brain bucket and then within a half hour had come off of her horse with a concussion and a broken wrist. Take it for what it is worh, but she now wears one I am told.

Hate to be the mean one here. However a helmet that is expected to be "safe and protective" should be under 5yrs old. Each helmet that is protective is REQUIRED to come with the tag inside that shows date of manufacture. This is the law for any headgear labeled as "protective", includes construction hard hats, as well as riding helmets.

I was on the Safety Comittee at work for a long time. One of the CONSISTANT issues we had to deal with, was keeping helmets/hardhats that folks wore at work, replaced as they aged out at 5years. No one was supposed to wear head gear over 5yrs, PLUS they were not supposed to PERSONALIZE head gear with paint or stickers. Big chance of chemical deterioration with unapproved stuff on the plastics.

So for those planning to make "hat Helmets", you need to first check for the date sticker inside the helmet to see if helmet has "aged out" by being over 5years old. Do you KNOW if helmet has been stored in hot places or knocked around with being dropped to fracture the protective styrofoam inside? Heat or sunshine in storage make the plastic brittle, speeds up the aging process, reduces the protection to wearer.

I am saying this so you go into the hat part KNOWING what you face with the helmet safety issues.

I don't know what spray paint does to the plastic shell cover. I know the helmet makers don't spray their shells on new ones, so maybe not a good idea, or totally untested. You ARE putting two very different chemicals together, will it affect the life of plastic? I don't know. Our hardhat makers were ADAMANT that their product only had their labels and markings on them. They made the hard hats with our Company labels to be recognizable, so it is possible to have stickers on. Must be compatible glues/plastics in chemical makeup, to pass safety standards for Construction requirements. I was glad to be wearing my hardhat a number of times!! Would not want to risk having a hardhat on that is not protective in those situations.

I am also wrestling with the "helmet hat" situation here. DD would like to drive with a hat, but is under age in ADS shows. So I need to come up with something that stays protective, but does not look unattractive. Looks like elastic may be a big factor in working details out. Have made a couple of helmet covers that work well, just have to figure how to anchor the brim on so it stays down where we want it. They do make a nice clear elastic now, stretches incredibly! So our hat covering will probably have the brim attached to a cover for the top of helmet, with a big stretchy ribbon or band to "marry" the two parts rather seamlessly to the observers. One of the winter projects!!

Ok, guess that is PSA for the day. Know what you are doing as you apply hot glue, stick-on velcro, paint, on that aged helmet. With knowledge, you can make your own choices to continue or go another way.

Oh, geez, goodhors, this is not for industry where there could be liability assinged due to helmet failure. It's for home use and whatever happens is still better than going out bare headed or in a ball cap.

I don't know what might happen to the plastic nor do I care. If it gets brittle and cracks, I still have the styro for some protection that once. I know altering the helmet nulifies the warranty, The warranty is up and I would never hold them responsible.

Anything can happen out there in a wreck. The chinstrap could sever my head, and then nothing else will matter.

All I can say is you can nitpick at people till they stop wearing their helmets altogether because conditions of the helmet aren't *perfect*, and they'll ride/drive unprotected. I've made a committment to trying, which is more than most drivers do. I will be the only person in our saddle club driving with any semblance of a helmet. It just isn't done here.

Yip

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    Oh, geez, goodhors, this is not for industry where there could be liability assinged due to helmet failure. It's for home use and whatever happens is still better than going out bare headed or in a ball cap.

I don't know what might happen to the plastic nor do I care. If it gets brittle and cracks, I still have the styro for some protection that once. I know altering the helmet nulifies the warranty, The warranty is up and I would never hold them responsible.

Anything can happen out there in a wreck. The chinstrap could sever my head, and then nothing else will matter.

All I can say is you can nitpick at people till they stop wearing their helmets altogether because conditions of the helmet aren't *perfect*, and they'll ride/drive unprotected. I've made a committment to trying, which is more than most drivers do. I will be the only person in our saddle club driving with any semblance of a helmet. It just isn't done here.

Yip
    I would personally be concerned that possibly some of the solvent in the spray paint would somehow get into the Styrofoam and degrade it without you realizing. Depends what type of paint you use, though, I imagine. A water-based acrylic would be prone to scraping off with wear and tear, but wouldn't have anything in it that should change the plastic or foam.

In addition - the plastic shell is actually a significant part of the protection of the helmet as it spreads the impact to more of the Styrofoam. (I think I saw a video on youtube about this, but I can't remember for sure.)

So while I think the idea is quite nice, I would be careful about the paints and glues used if I were doing it myself. (With how inexpensive new helmets can be these days, you could probably just buy one in a color you liked and then add on your modification somehow, which would remove the need to paint it at all.)

Default Another clever idea I saw

Great Idea! I saw another one at a local show..

The teenage was required to wear a helmet at the ADS show, so..
    she took an older felt fashion style hat, CUT it on the side.. straight up the side and brim and then placed it over the helmet. Then she wrapped the helmet and hat tightly with lots of cloth ribbon and gaily added a large bow at the split area. You can hardly tell what's going on except that the hat seems a bit large on her young head. WHAT A TERRIFIC idea :-)
    Pao Lin

Cool idea.

Couldn't you start w/ something more like the Charles Owen Pro and put the brim on that?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by paohatch View Post
    Great Idea! I saw another one at a local show..

The teenage was required to wear a helmet at the ADS show, so..
    she took an older felt fashion style hat, CUT it on the side.. straight up the side and brim and then placed it over the helmet. Then she wrapped the helmet and hat tightly with lots of cloth ribbon and gaily added a large bow at the split area. You can hardly tell what's going on except that the hat seems a bit large on her young head. WHAT A TERRIFIC idea :-)
    Thank you for this idea! May save me a lot of unneeded work!

Yip, the thing with wearing helmets, is most folks think ANY helmet is all-protective in a bad situation. They are not educated on the details. Best to give them MORE information so they can make good choices.

We have been wearing safety helmets for years, since they were improved from being "items of apparel"! Never knew they got old until about 4 years ago! Always new stuff to learn. Definately time for new ones then!! Got some way on sale, but checking labels they were ALREADY a year old out of the box! Still good for 4yrs, and a low price for each usable year left on them. I kept and used them, now need newer ones. Other folks don't even know to check dates, so "new" purchased helmet may already be over the 5yr age. I see this in 4-H ALL the time. They brag up the maker, cheap price, but helmets have aged beyond use as safety equipment. Helmets are then "only hats" to go with their English attire. Parents responsibility.

Some folks STILL think Hunt Caps with no chinstraps, will protect them in emergencies. Haven't learned or read the newer information.

I am putting out educational information, which you can use or ignore. You want information to make Driving safer, so here it is. If your old helmet rips off your head in an accident, I guess it was your time and nothing you did would have saved you in that case.

Driving safe is an ALL-OVER package with a good, trained horse, safe, sound vehicles, solid harness, driver prepared and equipped for the unexpected. Then everything is kept up well in the maintenance department. Ignoring any part will probably cause you grief when using it.

Wearing a helmet is good. But picking just any old or worn helmet to wear may not really be of much aid in a crisis. Newcomers need to know this. They are informed then, to make their choices. You call helmet advice nit-picking, but I bet you would not feel the same if I was talking about worn bearings in your cart wheels, or a worn girth billet. Helmet, harness or bearings, YOU could get hurt if no attention is given to any of the situations. Accidents happen from ignored details in most cases. MANY times accident happens to people who know better, but didn't take the time to fix or change the detail. Ignoring the little things CAN hurt you. Being sorry later, kicking your self for choices after, never helps at all.