The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner's question - why do I see no Standardbreds at shows?

Are they just too spooky or have the OT mind set of always racing? It just seems a little odd that I can't recall seeing any at the shows I've been at.

The Saddlebred shows have a very active "roadster" division for the Standardbreds. No pleasure driving, but we have Roadster to Bike, Roadster to Wagon (not for the faint of heart) and Roadster under saddle. The rules used to allow crosses, Saddlebreds, Morgans etc, but in the past few years the requirements changed to strictly STB.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

The standardbred yearling sale is going on here right now. I photographed some of the trotters at one of the farms and was totally surprised by how charmed I was by some of them. There are some great athletes among them! Here is a link to the pictures I took that day.

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d54453...&blogview=true
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone Farm,Ky View Post
    The standardbred yearling sale is going on here right now. I photographed some of the trotters at one of the farms and was totally surprised by how charmed I was by some of them. There are some great athletes among them! Here is a link to the pictures I took that day.

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d54453...&blogview=true
    WOW! what LOVELY photos! And I love the background music too!

Standardbreds have a more difficult time doing some of the things asked of a performance DRIVING horse. It can be very difficult to get them bendy, doing correct turning. Often the Standardbred horse just CAN'T bend well, his conformation does not allow it.

I heard the reason that they are naturally stiff thru the spine, is because the bones are shaped differently to help them get the "speed" part in their breeding. Stiff back when going for speed, helps the horse move legs more efficiently in their gaits.

They have good minds, are nice to work with for most folks in the beginning levels of driving skills. Horses are bred FIRST for speed on the track, so bendy body is a fault in racing ability. Bending is not helpful and carriage driving is an "after market" use of track horses. After market buyer gets what is not winning at the speed needed for races.

Oh they are definitely out there
    just depends on where you are
    and they dont always look like Standardbreds

we have one friend who has (i think) 3 carriage and low level CDE horses

another friend had a STBD riding horse that everyone thought was a hanoverian
    he also has had 3 or 4 driving horses with one up to advanced CDE

several friend had had pairs - one pair was really beautiful and often mistaken for Morgans

just keep on looking

Wonderful pictures! They are awesome horses, intelligent whit real personalities. I hope to have another one someday.

The stable that runs the names together - who are they? Where are they located?

I'll never forget a knockout we saw at Scioto Downs while visiting in OH.
    *Ilooklikemymom*

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    The stable that runs the names together - who are they? Where are they located?
    Lots of stables do this.

"How do I name a foal?
    The registration application provides a place to indicate your name choices. Names are limited to 18 characters and four words. That includes spaces, dashes(-), and apostrophes(‘) so you may need to get creative if you have a longer name choice." www.ustrotting.com

OP, thanks for asking the question. I've always wondered about that myself. This has been educational. And, speaking of names, I always found the horses out of this stable rather strangely named.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I wonder what the *Pan* connection is all about. Maybe part of their name?

I actually might have seen *Ilooklikemymom* at Pompano Park in FL. Man, that was a gorgeous park compared to Scioto Downs, which was old and dirty. SD had huge swarms of bats flying around the lights all evening. Kind of un-nerving, but they probably ate a ton of mosquitos that could have tortured us.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

OP to answer part of your questions, about spooky. IME Standardbreds are lovely, level headed animals; in general, a bit quieter that OTTB's. Quite sturdy too. There is an organizations called the Standardbread Pleasure Horse Organizations (SPHO). Some states have a club. The group in Ohio is full of wonderful horses and owners. We just had a show last week that showed the horses versitility: pleasure driving, jumping to 2', barrel racing, and just being good pleasure mounts.

I was curious about Standardbreds and wanted to see about adopting one, but kept getting what I considered the "run-around" by two websites that offered Standardbreds for adoption.

On one site I saw a mare I really wanted, filled out the application, and then was told (after several email exchanges and a phone contact that was never returned) she had already been adopted by "an approved" adoptor. One of the volunteers kept emailing me about other available horses and giving different reasons as to why this horse would not be suitable for me.

Both sites kept sending me info about older horses that seemed to me to have potential or past injury, health or soundness issues.

Standardbreds are rather rare down here in the South-- most of the horses at the shows are Saddlebreds hitched to carts. I wanted a gentle, pretty, sound, young BLACK horse to train as my own pleasure driving buggy horse, and to eventually use as a wedding carriage horse in my small town.

I am still looking

Quote Originally Posted by elysian_fields_farm View Post

Standardbreds are rather rare down here in the South-- most of the horses at the shows are Saddlebreds hitched to carts. I wanted a gentle, pretty, sound, young BLACK horse to train as my own pleasure driving buggy horse, and to eventually use as a wedding carriage horse in my small town.

I am still looking
    Well, you could always buy one instead of looking to be given one! Even in this economy gentle, pretty, young, sound and black still command a decent price as a driving horse in most places and such horses are in demand and not something i would expect to find from a rescue. That's like saying I want a 2009 Black Ford F250, low miles, clean title, no crashes for $750.

Default Yeah, I could BUY one, but bait and switch is bait and switch

If there are so many Standerdbreds off the track looking for homes as these sites claim, why shouldn't I try to get one of those, and help a horse in need of a home-- except it seems that all the young pretty ones are always suddenly "adoption pending" and then they try to pawn off these old guys with problems-- I would like to know just who is getting all the young pretty ones on these sites?

And to use the truck analogy-- these sites are like a truck dealer who advertises "A 2009 Black Ford F250, low miles, clean title, no crashes for $750" and then when you go to see it, tells you - "Why, that truck just sold minutes ago and I haven't had time to take it off the lot. BUT I can sell you a 10 year old rusty dodge with a bent fender, busted taillight and in need of a tune up for just $2,000."

Maybe this is why there are not very many Standardbreds being shown. Not everyone who likes to drive and would go to a couple of local shows is a doctor or a lawyer or someone who makes a ton of money. Feeding and keeping a horse costs enough without having to pay showhorse prices for an OTSB. Afterall, if they can't find homes-- do they send them to the kill auction? They will not even get very much for them there.

Give me a break!

That happened to me with a rather local (60 mi.) horse rescue. I was inquiring about a TB they had and was given the run-around. Never even sent me the necessary paprework to apply to become an approved home. Then they just stopped answering my emails.

They didn't know me from Eve and wouldn't even take my application, so had no reason to blackball me. But on the site they were begging for homes for a mess of horses. I figured, pffftttt, I don't need them. I wonder how many horses weren't adopted that might have been if it weren't for the lousy communications and app. process in this rescue.

I live in the South and sometimes search the sites for STBs. I find a few. If you want to adopt, have you tried the STB rescue in OH? I think it's in Hilliard, near Columbus. Check FL too, since they have Pompano Park there and a thriving STB industry.

Yip

To Renee's point, why not look into buying the horse you are interested in. Prices probably aren't far different and you would 'own' the horse vs it belonging to the rescue.

I've not gone in that direction when looking, but I imagine if you connect to people at the harness race tracks you'll probably find something like CANTER for harness horses who can help you.

I agree w/ DNJ that trying to make contact w/ people at the tracks is probably your best bet.

I concur that some of the STB rescues are a little bit...

There is ALLEGED to be one near me - I sure keep hearing about it. But I have never found a website or seen an ad nor even seen a posting on a forum anywhere. Ask local people where it is and they kind of point vaguely in a certain direction "over there somewhere, from what I hear". And that is THE closest I've ever gotten to finding it, having lived here now for over a year.

I loff STBs and *might* have even gone for one when I was shopping, *if* I could have found the place... *shrug*
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Don't know which adoption sites you all are having problems with, but I have heard some good things about New Vocations.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

My first driving horse was a OTTSTB from New Vocations. They were excellant to deal with and found me the perfect horse for me. He was a 3 yr old, Superbowl baby, who just wasn't fast. No injuries. No one ever believed he was a STB because he is so attractive. I think it must have been pretty awful to try to race him because he was a little lazy. We did local pleasure shows, low level CDE and had lot of fun just driving. Although he would go on the bit riding, he had a hard time at it in harness. Even at 3, he was bomb proof and had excellant ground manners. He took great care of me while I was learning to drive. They aren't free, but he was a great deal at the adoption price. Their requirement is that you can't sell them for 2 yrs. and must continue their training so they can be productive horses. After a few years, I wanted something more competitive and found him a great forever home with a lady who just wants to pleasure drive. I got to be across the aisle from him this past weekend at the ND and it was such fun seeing them together.
    He is a great horse, riding and driving and should make anyone who is just wanting to drive take a good look at the STBs who need homes after the track.