The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleveland, OHIO - possible move, need advice~HR.

My boss who works in another state has offered me a the opportunity to keep my present position (in case of plant closure) but I would have to move to OHIO. COLD IN OHIO. I know no one in OHIO. I have never lived up north. I have no clue how to move horses to OHIO..says in small voice - "I can't drive in snow, I live in Ga. snow is a once in every few years event and we stay home and everything closes".

ugh..

So my questions are many for horse folks -

1. The area would be near Cleveland, in a "suburb" called Lorain.

2. I would want to rent a farm or could board ONE horse. I have 6 horses presently - no worries, no horse will be rehomed, I own my farm free and clear and can afford to continue paying trainer to ride those left at the farm and daughter will feed, groom and do stalls in exchange for me paying for her son's riding lessons and show lessons.

3. How does one go about finding a farm to rent or a small acreage with a barn? Do you hire a realtor? Having never done this before (lived in same house for 22 years), I have no clue. I like having my horses at home, but if I were to board, can anyone recommend a good boarding facility with excellent care and with an indoor arena in that area? I ride trails and am taking dressage lessons so would haul my horse up there. I have my own truck and trailer. I can afford rent or lease payments.

4. The choice is mine, to stay employed I would have to move if it comes down to it - and it does look scary right now. If the plant closes I would have no where to work (co. does not allow work from home).

5. I am trying to do "advance work" so I won't be in a panic mode if things continue to go south. Are there "better" areas to live in that I should look at? I know nothing about the area but do plan to fly up soon to get a "feel" for the area and would like to visit stables while I am there. Should I board first and rent an apartment while looking for a "farmette"?

Honestly this whole thing has me boon swaggled. Thankfully I have excellent help at my present location and if daughter cannot make it out, the trainer will do stalls, etc. and life for the ones left at home will continue on. This may be a 2 year deal at the least until son gets out of college, once he is out, I will likely hightail it home, horse in tow as he is the reason I need to stay employed at this particular job (help him pay for college) after that, I have no bills, so could take a lesser paying job or perhaps the economy will be better and I can find a job closer to home.

I've asked co-workers in Ohio, but they are all townies and live in the burbs with no clue to horse care.

UGH..been a horrid three days (huge layoff), thanks for your help. Edited to add: I have no clothing for up north and neither does horse, what types of blankets are used for that cold?
    Last edited by sidepasser; Oct. 30, 2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: name of city

Our boys are currently boarded in Lorain County. I really like the area and find it to be very horse friendly. I have no idea where you can look to find barns to rent. Might want to try calling around at different realty companies. The cold isn't that bad. We haven't even brought out the blankets yet, they're still living in their sheets and it went up to 70 today They muddle through with a sheet, medium, and heavy weight blanket. Every once in awhile the sheet goes under the heavy blanket for added warmth but that's uncommon.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Psst--Ohio is really big. Kind of like how Georgia is really big.

Try putting "Cleveland" in your title and you'll attract the right folks!
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Thank you, I guess it is bad to think everyone knows where Lorain OH is..lol.. thanks for the assist.

When I said "renting a barn" I meant to say a property with a small one or two stall barn and turnout, pasturage. Nothing huge, maybe 5 acres or so with a house? Is that possible in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    Our boys are currently boarded in Lorain County. I really like the area and find it to be very horse friendly. I have no idea where you can look to find barns to rent. Might want to try calling around at different realty companies. The cold isn't that bad. We haven't even brought out the blankets yet, they're still living in their sheets and it went up to 70 today They muddle through with a sheet, medium, and heavy weight blanket. Every once in awhile the sheet goes under the heavy blanket for added warmth but that's uncommon.
    The problem would be mare has no real winter coat, she is a TWH and is 17.1 hands, never grows a real fuzzy winter coat, has no need of one down here, I don't even blanket her in the winter as she stays stalled during icy/cold rain/windy conditions and turned out during sunny, cold days and she's fine.

So would need to visit the HOOF and WOOF shop and get winter blankies in a size 88 - yep she's one long, tall drink of water. So I would need a sheet, stall blanket and a turnout, water proof rug.

My other horses are already fuzzed up, some are yaks, but this gal never has been out of the south and the move would be in WINTER, probably around January. So no winter coat, moving, might mean colic or she could do just fine and be herself, never a care in the world, but I luv this mare dearly so don't want her shaking in the cold.

Perhaps another thing to do would be to find a nice stable that teaches dressage and rent an apartment, then look for a farmette?

Jeez for all my education, I am clueless about moving to the north in the dead of winter.

If you can I would rent an apartment or townhouse for six months, spend the time looking around and talking to the co-workers who have lived there the longest about good places to live, and especially important a great realtor. I would be nervous about buying a horsey place since you know you won't live there forever, and you'll need an indoor or access to one. To minimize driving in snow distance get a place as close to work as possible. Also if you look at a townhouse or apartment ask the current tenants about the reliability of snow removal in the complex. And the most important thing about winter driving is don't speed, and don't rely on 4-wheel drive to stop you-it's called 4-wheel drive not 4-wheel stop for a reason. Like any other place if you embrace an area, and keep an open mind I think you'll actually enjoy the time there. You know it's not forever and I think that will help. Most large real estate firms have a rental group, and many agents (at least around here) own several rental properties that they will lease out to prospective clients in the hope that you'll buy through them later. Be very sure that you want to buy and have to worry about resale later, and since you already have a place in GA I would be very reluctant to buy. You get much better amenities in most large complexes and that will include snow removal and upkeep so that might work out better than a single house with all of the snow removal problems.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by sidepasser View Post
    The problem would be mare has no real winter coat, she is a TWH and is 17.1 hands, never grows a real fuzzy winter coat, has no need of one down here, I don't even blanket her in the winter as she stays stalled during icy/cold rain/windy conditions and turned out during sunny, cold days and she's fine.

So would need to visit the HOOF and WOOF shop and get winter blankies in a size 88 - yep she's one long, tall drink of water. So I would need a sheet, stall blanket and a turnout, water proof rug.

My other horses are already fuzzed up, some are yaks, but this gal never has been out of the south and the move would be in WINTER, probably around January. So no winter coat, moving, might mean colic or she could do just fine and be herself, never a care in the world, but I luv this mare dearly so don't want her shaking in the cold.

Perhaps another thing to do would be to find a nice stable that teaches dressage and rent an apartment, then look for a farmette?

Jeez for all my education, I am clueless about moving to the north in the dead of winter.
    We had a horse come from southern cali in the winter and he did have some trouble adjusting to the cold. I would definitely make sure she has warm water to drink, all of our horses seem to prefer it in the winter and it helps make sure they stay hydrated Our barn usually stays around 30-40 in the winter so it's not as bad as out in the wind but I would imagine that's still pretty cold coming from Georgia Perhaps somebody could offer more help?

There are a few dressage places near Lorain county but Lorain county is fairly big so it would depend on what area you would be in. I'm currently making the switch from hunters to dressage so a girl at our barn is helping us until we get past first level but there are some trainers in Medina County (the next county over) and at least one that I know of in Lorain County. Don't know if any of them would have places for you to live though. Sorry.

Thank you for your help, any help is welcome at this point! I have done a search and found a couple of stables that "might" work, but without knowing them personally, I am sort of afraid to move a horse into one. I would love recommendations from anyone in that area as to who to go to and who to stay away from.

People can pm me or email me at sidepasser@hotmail.com if they do not want to go "public" .

Lorain is a pretty rural area you should have no trouble finding a barn or barns for rent I know its kinda dumb but check craigslist there was a really nice barn for lease on there a few weeks ago
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerandharriet View Post
    Lorain is a pretty rural area you should have no trouble finding a barn or barns for rent I know its kinda dumb but check craigslist there was a really nice barn for lease on there a few weeks ago
    Plus schneiders isnt too far away you could get lots of blankets!
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

As much as I hate to say it, being from Pittsburgh and all , the Cleveland area is much more horse friendly, and I think your horse will do fine with a lightweight, mid-weight, and heavy weight blanket. You can supplement heavy weight with a liner, as needed, on extremely cold days and nights (I generally start considering this when temps go into single digits during day and negative temps over night). My horse, as a racehorse, was shipped to Florida every winter, and he did just fine his first winter up here. He still doesn't get quite the winter coat that the other horses in the barn get, but he isn't suffering either! I have read that the act of eating and digesting hay helps keep horses warm, too!

I won't lie to you and say that "oh, the snow doesn't get that bad", because that area is known for its "lake effect" snow. I can't speak to how much snow they really do get and I don't know how good their snow removal is, but us "Yankees" do tend to be better prepared for the eventuality of snow, and life does go on even with a foot of it. You are expected to still show up for work, at least at my place of employment!

I hope that things work out for the best for you....

Oberlin college is in Lorain Cty. I worked there about 10 years ago, and really liked it.

Horse opportunities at the time were really quite interesting and eclectic. There was a good reining barn in Grafton, a good dressage barn in Avon Lake, and I believe that the equestrian team was working out of a Morgan barn. The bigtime hunter/jumper folk are/were either in the Medina area (do-able from Lorain Cty) or on the east side of Cleveland in the Chagrin and Chardon area, but there was a mixed use facility in Vermillion that did hunters and dressage.

I liked being there a great deal. Not "swanky" enough to be overpriced, but enough going on to be interesting. And Valley Tack (in Valley City) is/was wonderful!

P.S. -- the "lake effect" snow is on the EAST side. Chagrin gets it pretty bad, while Lorain County will get a dusting.

I board at Meadowbrook Farm in Columbia Station and love it. There's no trainer but you can bring a trainer in or trailer out for lessons if you'd like. People and care is wonderful There is a dressage barn in Valley City, Grand Prix Farm. Also one a few streets over from us and I cannot for the life of me remember the name right now If I remember it I'll add it. Might want to check out Valley Tack, they have lots of flyers up for different things and also know a lot about the area. It's in Valley City as well.

Snow removal has never been a problem for us that I can remember. I've been driving for almost 5 years now

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    you'll need an indoor or access to one.
    Just wanted to emphasize this point, I know you'd like to keep them at home but you might not have really considered the implications of keeping up with your riding when it is 15 F and the ground is hard frozen. In Michigan at least, some people board out only in the winter, both for the riding perks and the fact that chores in the cold are a bit of a drag (except when the poops freeze and then its sooo easy to clean stalls )

I lived in Southeast Michigan and had never driven in the snow -- remember that cities with snow are good at snow. In Ann Arbor they had the ability to clear a foot of snowfall in 24 hours so 90% of the time, after snowing the roads would be clear by the next morning. When I lived in Virginia, whenever it snowed it would be a hot mess since the city had no capacity to clear even a small snowfall. Snow was much "worse" in Virginia than Michigan, even though there was much less of it. (One time in VA we had to cancel lessons because the road was so icy, and I had this one student who had recently moved from Vermont -- when I called to cancel she could be heard in the background: "But mom it's not even COLD" LOL)

Definitely agree with the above posters to rent first to get the lay of the land, then bring the horsies and buy, if desired, when you've had a chance to settle in.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Thanks everyone for the advice, it is a BIG thing for me to consider and of course, I LUV paychecks and being able to pay for all my horse related things, so being unemployed when there is an option to NOT be is to be considered carefully.

I plan to fly up to Cleveland and then go to Lorain and see what is available next month. I will visit the dressage barn and it is a good point about needing an indoor arena, I could never do 15 degrees and snow outdoors..arrgh..cold..lol..I know I am a southern wimp, but am used to the hot humid southern summers, so perhaps that makes us even? lol.

Poor mare won't know what to think, she has never seen snow..lol. Bet she will luv it too as not to much phases her. I just can't leave her behind and be in a strange place with no friends other that co-workers. I know that sounds "dumb" but she would be "my friend" in a strange place.

I found the dressage barn in Avon, I plan to call them tomorrow. I know hunter/jumper barns are NOT for me due to the fact that I don't do either. I would rather be in a dressage barn where I could take lessons if possible. I don't know of any dressage coaches up there or trainers so if anyone in the immediate area can advise, that would be very nice.

thanks again. You know it is scary but at the same time, it is scary "good". Perhaps I need to expand my horizons and see what else is out there, 50 isn't too old to do that.

Best to everyone and thanks!

Sidepasser-If you post this in the Off Topic section you might get recommendations on the non-horsey things too, and more about your cold weather and driving concerns.

And don't forget that in the North almost everywhere has gas appliances-this means you buy carbon monoxide detectors for each level of the house and replace them every five years. Even if they say they have detectors get your own-plug in are best.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 1, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If you do a search in the dressage forums there have been discussions of NE Ohio trainers in the past. I'm not overly familiar with any but have gotten good recommendations from others on here about dressage trainers in the area

While I hate to lose you in the south, I think you will love having four seasons. And in the area you are talking about, winter is not so horrid usually. You will easily learn to drive in snow, its not like GA trust me on this.

In this day and age, if it means your job, you just might have to do it but Lord, Sunkissed will miss you.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Hey Sidepasser, my friend MaryLou who rides western is from Ohio and has family back there, horse people. I'll ask her when she gets back from the barrel racing nationals in Augusta tomorrow just where she is from in Ohio. Her mother and other relatives still live up there, and maybe they can help you find a place if you have to go.

Aren't you an expert on metals and all? I hope your plant down here doesn't close, but am glad that your boss thinks enough of you to keep you, even thought it might mean SNOW!

ETA: When we got the blizzard here in Savannah (yes we did I have pix) many years ago, my Florida TB mare loved it. And Cloudy, who has not seen snow since he left the fatherland 9 yrs ago, would love to see snow, but we aren't going to get any snow any time soon.