The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB Confo critiques + before and after pics...

Ive often seen the confo critiques on here, and always wonder what happened with the horses.... As I have had lots of ottbs through my hands, and never ever care what their confo is like (I just like them to be sane and sound)...Im curious about what you all think about my previous horses.

Basically I'm curious to know how much you can tell from a picture. So...Ive put a few of them online here http://guesstheottb.blogspot.com/ just one photo of each, with age, height, and sex, nothing more.

THese pics are all taken when the horses were straight off the track with no schooling at all. Some pics are better than others sorry! All have since been sold on, and so their future is somewhat known.

I'd love your comments on all - ie "looks like it would move well but the hind end would prevent it from being a good jumper" or "Terrible confo, angles all wrong, wouldn't be any good at all" or "would have a stiff trot but may be able to jump" those sorts of things. I'll put up "after" photos and comments on where they are now and what they are doing etc, once a few people have replied.

Hopefully someone will read and have a go at this lol!

I'll take A, D, E, I, and O. What did those do?

That's a pretty nice bunch of horses... I'll play the game.

Horse A - looks a little butt high in the picture, but it might be a matter of perspective. His RF foot looks like it's a little steep. He has a nice shoulder nad neck. Probably a nice ride. I'd guess he could jump. I'm not real keen on how the front of his cannon bone ties into his knee.

Horse B - Nice balanced short backed horse. A little straight in the hocks. Looks athletic and balanced, more jumpery than huntery.

Horse C- Hard to tell much about his legs with the boots and the mud. Looks like a generally nice guy. The type of horse that would make a nice ammy horse, but maybe not a 3'6" horse.

Horse D - A little long, but has a nice look about him. Looks huntery. Looks like he'd have a nice big step and a comfy canter. Looks like the kind of horse that could do the A/O hunters and maybe the opens.

Horse E - Looks like an event horse or jumper. Maybe over at the knee under those wraps, but I can't tell for sure. Straighter in the hind end than may be idea. Looks like the type of horse that might tend to be hot and worried unless his rider is quiet. Probably not going to be the hack winner unless that picture was not typical of how he liked to carry himself.

F - I think I'm in love.

G - Nice mare. I think she looks a little soft in the pasturns all the way around. Probably a nice slightly uphill ride. Looks like she could really jump.

H- Her neck is set on a little low and she doesn't have a spectacular hind end. Her LH ankle looks a little big. She's not stood up well at all, so it is hard to tell. I think she might be better than the picture indicates. Probably made a nice kids hunter, or ammy horse.

I- Again, probably better than the picture indicates. Nice bone. Not a great hind end and the neck set on a little lower than ideal. Has a nice look about him.

J - Cute little guy. Still growing. Looks athletic. Nice hind end.

K- This picture is really bad. He's fussing and leaning backwards which makes him look straight in the shoulder and upright and short in his neck which I suspect he is not. He's got decent looking legs, and a nice hind quarter. He's down hill in the picture, but he's growing and has dropped his front end in the process of leaning back. I think if his eye wasn't closed his head would look less common as well. He seems to have a nice top line on his neck and that lovely hind end... so I'm betting he grew up to be a very nice horse.

L - (good God, is this ever going to end???) This horse is quality. Add weight and muscle and he's probably fancy. Even this this he has a nice top line, he's balanced and he has good angles.

M- This mare looks a bit unbalanced to the front. There is a lot of chest in front of her front legs. She's straighter in the shoulder than anything else you've bought. Her neck is not good and she doesn't have the prettiest head. She does have a nice hindend and a nice short back. My guess is that she would tend to be heavy in the bridle.

N - First thing I notice about him is that he's long... long in the back, long in the loin. long in the neck. His neck is set on low and his crop is sort of flat. I suspect he would be harder to put together than a lot of the others and a bit heavy in the bridle.

O - Beautiful front end, but long in the back. I think it would be hard to find a saddle to fit this mare correctly. She looks weak in the middle.

That's a pretty nice bunch of horses... I'll play the game.

Horse A - looks a little butt high in the picture, but it might be a matter of perspective. His RF foot looks like it's a little steep. He has a nice shoulder nad neck. Probably a nice ride. I'd guess he could jump. I'm not real keen on how the front of his cannon bone ties into his knee. YES HE IS BUTT HIGH. SOLD TO AN UPPER LEVEL EVENTER. FABULOUS BOLD JUMPER AND SUPER FANCY ON THE FLAT. NOT MY TYPE OF RIDE THOUGH, DEF MORE A PRO RODE. I FOUND HIM DIFFICULT ON THE FLAT BUT SHE HAS NO WORRIES WITH HIM ;-)

Horse B - Nice balanced short backed horse. A little straight in the hocks. Looks athletic and balanced, more jumpery than huntery. LACKS ANY ABILITY TO BE A SCOPEY JUMPER. VERY FANCY ON THE FLAT THOUGH. IS FINE UP TO ABOUT 3FT OR SO, BUT THATS ABOUT IT. SOLD AS A SHOW HACK (FLAT CLASSES JUDGED ON TYPE AND MOVEMENT)

Horse C- Hard to tell much about his legs with the boots and the mud. Looks like a generally nice guy. The type of horse that would make a nice ammy horse, but maybe not a 3'6" horse. DING DING DING...SPOT ON ;-) SOLD TO AN AMMY WHO ADORES HIM. NO JUMPING ABILITY AT ALL BUT WILL POTTER AROUND 3FT MAX WITHOUT BLINKING. WOULD RATHER GO THROUGH THAN OVER ONCE FENCES GET ABOVE THAT. TOTALLY SAFE AS HOUSES THOUGH IN ALL ASPECTS.

Horse D - A little long, but has a nice look about him. Looks huntery. Looks like he'd have a nice big step and a comfy canter. Looks like the kind of horse that could do the A/O hunters and maybe the opens. WON $500K ON THE TRACK. PHENOMINAL HORSE TO SIT ON, LIKE NOTHING IVE RIDDEN BEFORE. TOTALLY BALANCED, COULD CANTER A 10M CIRCLE THEN DO A FLY CHANGE AND GO BACK THE OTHER WAY. FREAK OF A JUMPER - SERIOUSLY SUPPLE AND SUPER TALENTED. SOLD TO A SHOW JUMPER. YES, HE HAS AN AMAZING CANTER.

Horse E - Looks like an event horse or jumper. Maybe over at the knee under those wraps, but I can't tell for sure. Straighter in the hind end than may be idea. Looks like the type of horse that might tend to be hot and worried unless his rider is quiet. Probably not going to be the hack winner unless that picture was not typical of how he liked to carry himself. SOLD AS AN EVENTER. ABSOLUTELY BOMBPROOF, DEAD QUIET HORSE. NEVER BLINKED AT HIS FIRST SHOW, COULD PUT GRANNY ON HIM. REALLY FLASH ON THE FLAT, GREAT HUNTER TECHNIQUE BUT MAYBE NOT TOO SCOPEY?

F - I think I'm in love. LOL GAVE THIS GUY AWAY TO ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS. SHE RODE HIM, FELL IN LOVE, SO I GAVE HIM TO HER. CUTE ON THE FLAT AND A CUTE JUMPER.

G - Nice mare. I think she looks a little soft in the pasturns all the way around. Probably a nice slightly uphill ride. Looks like she could really jump. YES, RIGHT AGAIN ;-) MY PET. STUNNING MOVER AND FREAK OF A JUMPER. VERY SENSITIVE BUT LOVELY UPHILL RIDE.

H- Her neck is set on a little low and she doesn't have a spectacular hind end. Her LH ankle looks a little big. She's not stood up well at all, so it is hard to tell. I think she might be better than the picture indicates. Probably made a nice kids hunter, or ammy horse. WAS LOVELY ON THE FLAT, SOFT AND SUPPLE. NICE KNEES UP JUMPER, BUT ATTITUDE WAS QUESTIONABLE. DID ONE SHOW WITH ME THEN SOLD ON CHEAPLY WITH FULL DISCLOSURE THAT I DIDNT KNOW IF THE ATTITUDE WOULD MATCH THE ABILITY.

I- Again, probably better than the picture indicates. Nice bone. Not a great hind end and the neck set on a little lower than ideal. Has a nice look about him. LOVELY AND SOFT TO RIDE ON THE FLAT, AVERAGE JUMPER. SOLD TO A DRESSAGE RIDER WHO WANTS TO DO LITTLE HUNTER SHOWS.

J - Cute little guy. Still growing. Looks athletic. Nice hind end. NICE MOVER, GREAT FREE JUMPER, UNTRIED AS YET.

K- This picture is really bad. He's fussing and leaning backwards which makes him look straight in the shoulder and upright and short in his neck which I suspect he is not. He's got decent looking legs, and a nice hind quarter. He's down hill in the picture, but he's growing and has dropped his front end in the process of leaning back. I think if his eye wasn't closed his head would look less common as well. He seems to have a nice top line on his neck and that lovely hind end... so I'm betting he grew up to be a very nice horse. EXACTLY AS YOU DESCRIBE. VERY SWEET NATURED DEAD QUIET TYPE. NOT YET JUMPED AS HE ONLY GOT SOLD RECENTLY SO IS STILL JUST A BABY. VERY CUTE MOVER THOUGH AND HE IS A BIT DOWNHILL THOUGH THE PIC IS TERRIBLE.

L - (good God, is this ever going to end???) This horse is quality. Add weight and muscle and he's probably fancy. Even this this he has a nice top line, he's balanced and he has good angles. EXACTLY RIGHT ;-) BEAUTIFUL MOVER AND JUMPER. PRO RIDE, SUPER TALENTED.

M- This mare looks a bit unbalanced to the front. There is a lot of chest in front of her front legs. She's straighter in the shoulder than anything else you've bought. Her neck is not good and she doesn't have the prettiest head. She does have a nice hindend and a nice short back. My guess is that she would tend to be heavy in the bridle. DEAD QUIET AND SUPRISINGLY EASY TO RIDE - HER CONFO DEF DOESNT MATCH THE RIDE! INTERESTING RE THE SHOULDER, i NEVER NOTICED THAT BEFORE YOU POINTED IT OUT.

N - First thing I notice about him is that he's long... long in the back, long in the loin. long in the neck. His neck is set on low and his crop is sort of flat. I suspect he would be harder to put together than a lot of the others and a bit heavy in the bridle. FLASHY MOVER AND WELL BALANCED CANTER. LOVELY JUMP WITH GREAT TECHNIQUE. FELT HUGE TO RIDE BECAUSE HE IS SO LONG, BUT SURPRISINGLY EASY TO RIDE, SOFT AND SUPPLE. I THOUGH HE WAS GOING TO BE VERY DIFFICULT BUT HE'S BEEN QUITE EASY.

O - Beautiful front end, but long in the back. I think it would be hard to find a saddle to fit this mare correctly. She looks weak in the middle. I'LL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT HER..HAVENT YET SAT ON HER ;-) MAYBE I WILL BE GOING BAREBACK ON HER BY THE SOUNDS OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
    I'll take A, D, E, I, and O. What did those do?
    A-Sold to upper level eventer, just started competing training level with consistant good results
    D- sold to show jumper, just about to start competing (our season just opened again). Fab jumper.
    E- Sold to a young amateur eventer. Had his first show with her today and got placed.
    I- Sold to amateur dressage rider who also wants to do some hunter shows.
    O- Sitting in my paddock waiting for me to ride her ;-)

IWWH - this is a wonderful thread! I'm not good at picking out particular conformation, I just know what I like when I see it. Would you mind terribly if I posted a photo of my OTTB gelding? I'd love for him to be picked apart!
    Cindy

All New Zealand-bred TBs? I am shopping in the wrong part of the world, LOL. Lovely horses, wouldn't toss a single one out of my pasture:-)