The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hot nail.. heal time?

Hi "all"

I just had my farrier come out to pull a hot nail.. or what we assumed was a hot nail. The poor mare was neglected for about a year and we are in the process of reshaping her feet. I put front shoes on her and the next day she was lame, but lame behind. I thought "acute lameness..hm..abscess!" so I soaked the foot.. nothing really ever blew out but she worked out of that in a couple days. I then noticed she was lame right front, something that was masked by the way she was going with the right hind issue. Poor mare. I ca;;ed the farrier and he used some hoof testers and got a positive reaction right at an inside nail that looked slightly high. He couldn't see anything in the nail hole so he thought she might have started an abscess with that foot or the nail was just close. I feel so badly that I let this go on for more than a day or two, but I honestly couldn't tell she was sore until the hind end cleared up.

Anyway, we pulled the nail and I am currently putting her on a soaking and packing regime to make her feel better and either ward off infection or draw it out.

Anyone have any experiences with a hot nail? How long did you find it was until they were sound?

Generally if it was just a hot nail the horse is sound once the nail is pulled out. If the horse isn't sound right away, I assume there is an abcess and treat accordingly.