The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have a Bald Eagle on my farm

Well, it may not be exciting to all of you, but I have one sitting in a tree at the edge of my horses field. He/she is huge and gorgeous. This makes my day.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I never get tired of seeing them. Each year I see more; often in my back yard or when I'm out hunting.

Makes my day.

How cool is that!

Default Love the Bald Eagles!

I'm not too far from the lower James River. W e have a pretty good population of Bald Eagles.
    I love watching them dive into the water and come up with a fish in their talons.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Never had a bald eagle but at the farm I boarded at up north there was a breeding pair of golden's that nested in the wood's at the back of the property. They would land in the middle of the pasture and munch on a catch with the horses milling around. We were really careful not to startle them and scare them off.

We have a canyon called Eagle Canyon and, since at least 1910, it has always had a pair or more of eagles nesting there every summer.
    We leave them alone, so we only see them rarely, when they fly high up, mostly at dawn or in the sunset.
    Eagles cast a very large shadow.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I get some that visit my neighborhood farms from time to time, roosting on the 80 ft pine tree in my pasture. It always amazes me, along with the hummingbirds that visit the honeysuckle bushes outside my office window.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

You are so lucky! What a thrill it would be if he decides to stay.

Isn't it great when they hang around. We have a spring that the Kokanee spawn in and the eagles all come in during the fall. Last year there were 2 bald eagles on the ground and a golden eagle. Man, that golden dwarved the balds. We've actually counted 5 bald eagles in the trees at the same time.

Nancy!

They are opportunistic and will feed on carion. We had two for a week during the holidays last year feeding on a deer carcass. The two that graced us with their presence last year had two fledglings in the spring. It was really fun to watch.

FYI the female is the larger of the birds, if you have a nesting pair. I spend some time every week with our educational eagle at the nearby Raptor Center. No matter how many birds are used during presentations, jaws always drop for our eagle. She is magnificent.

Default BIG birds!

Bald eagles are just amazing birds!!

Saw one swooping around over my paddocks trying to catch one of a group of visiting cattle egrets. After several very close calls, the cattle egret selected as prey landed next to my 22yo gelding (for "protection" I guess). The eagle decided the horse was just too big to go after and flew off to the enormous pecan tree in my front field.

All I am seeing these days is a not-too-unusual gaggle of seven Canadian geese who like my paddocks and my neighbors 12acre hayfield...still, large birds.
    Tinwhistle Farm

The salmon are spawning now and there are hundreds of them up and down the Fraser and tributaries. In the past we have even sent some down to the US - it is your national bird and Symbol of greatness. Never get over the sight of such magnificent birds.

For eagle lovers go to Hancock Wildlife Cameras on the web for live streaming video, in season, and interesting local information.

For about the last 15 years, every November, I have one show up and some years, a pair. They're only here for a few weeks to come fish my pond as well as the big creek that runs in the farm "Little Bull Run".

You sure can't miss them with the striking white head and tail, enormous size and regal stature. They take my breath away and I always feel like singing God Bless America when I see one.....

None have shown up yet, but on the way back from my feed store in Marshall the other day I saw one swoop across I66 from an nearby creek and land in a tree. Caught a good glimpse, so hopefully he/they are heading my way for their annual visit.

What I really like about them is that they tend to fly LOW...no missing them. Enjoy! They are about the ONLY thing I look foward to as we head for the shorter days, mud and winter blahs....

We have a nesting pair right next door. The often come to visit, much to our delight. The chickens on the other hand don't seem to appreciate their visits...perhaps that is because the eagles took their leader this summer....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Lucky you! All I've got is a turkey vulture that hangs out on the dead tree looking over my horse's pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaSting View Post
    Lucky you! All I've got is a turkey vulture that hangs out on the dead tree looking over my horse's pasture.
    We got some of those too.
    They are kind of interesting, the original totem bird of many native indian tribes, as you can see by their drawings, that some confuse for eagles, but the scalloped wings and standing up with open wings, static, shows them to be turkey vultures.

You are in good company with your bird, those are not really lesser birds.

We have a pair of Red Tail Hawks who live on our farm. I know...not nearly as cool as the Bald Eagle but we still love to watch them and they keep our mice and snake population down.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    For eagle lovers go to Hancock Wildlife Cameras on the web for live streaming video, in season, and interesting local information.
    I just watched something on Animal Planet showing a male Bald Eagle fly over another Bald Eagle nest and snatch one of the babies out of it. He ended up dropping it where it fell something like 40-50ft. He then circled back around and snatched the other one and dropped it as well. I am not sure if this was his intention or if he was planning to eat them. This was all captured on one of the eagle cameras setup on the various nests. Some random person who happened to be looking at the nest at that exact moment called in immediately and people were dispatched. They found both babies ALIVE but in poor condition. They performed surgery on both and they survived. Very good story but very peculiar behavior for a male BE.

How fabulous! We don't have the big birds of prey here, we get hawks which I love watching but nothing as majestic as the eagles.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?