The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

c-franklin858 Guest

Default Reinsman Ring Combo Rope Nose Hackamore

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has tried the ring combination rope nose hackamore by Reinsman? I was looking into the one that has a bradoon snaffle mouthpiece.. I've read that it is a bit for a horse with a soft mouth and is good for young horses.... but i can't help but feel like it may be a little too strong... Just wondering if anyone has used this bit and what their experiences with it have been?

THANKS!!

Here's a link to what the bit looks like...

http://www.rods.com/Reinsman-Ring-Co...s_cn=Froogle09

Most worthless bit I have ever owned. If the rope piece sits just right the mouthpiece is far too low. If the mouthpiece is adjusted properly the rope noseband doesn't fit. And it pinches at eh corners terribly!
    Why are you wanting to try this particular bit?

Not really a standard "English" bit for any horse, much less starting a youngster.
    You might try asking on a stock horse oriented bb.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

why not just a snaffle OR a sidepull to start one?

This bit is NOT a bit for a young horse, to start one or anything. This bit is for a barrel horse when you want to take his head away while setting up for the barrel. It is for a well broke horse. I know, there will be someone who used it and did fine but overall, stick with traditional methods and don't go for shortcuts in training!

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    This bit is NOT a bit for a young horse, to start one or anything. This bit is for a barrel horse when you want to take his head away while setting up for the barrel. It is for a well broke horse. I know, there will be someone who used it and did fine but overall, stick with traditional methods and don't go for shortcuts in training!
    Ya no.... It sucks even for that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Junebugz View Post
    Ya no.... It sucks even for that lol
    I agree but if someone really, REALLY wanted to use it, that's what it's supposed to be for, not colts. I use Reinsman bits but this is one, I don't really have a use for. Tried it, not for me. Just had to find out for myself.

Looks like a side pull with a bit. Western people use a side pull primarily on cutting horses to make them more responsive to bringing their head around when they are late turning on the cow. I've seen the side pull/bit combination, but I don't think it's really necessary. The side pull is very effective all by itself. It's not a kind piece of equipment. It's used on horses that are hard to turn, although I've seen trainers use it on green horses to get them to turn quickly without pulling on the mouth. On a green horse, if you want to avoid a bit, a bosal is a kinder alternative, in my opinion.

The chain curb strap increases it's effectiveness, but also puts a lot of pressure on the horse's jaw. Properly fitted, the curb should set up higher than just above the lower muzzle like a normal curb strap/chain.

I've still got a side pull in my tack inventory. I should take it out to my trainer and see what he thinks he could do with it.

Good god, if I saw anyone put that thing on a young horse, I think my head would probably explode -- super thin mouthpiece, plus stiff rope over soft nose bits plus curb chain, holy crap!