The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Furacin - carciogenic?

Anybody heard of this as a fact?

Proven in mice.

Not proven in humans or horses, afaik.

But, since there are many products that are as good or better, *without* the potential risk, why use it?

Yes, if you're a rat or mouse and ingest large quantities, it is carcinogenic.

Doesn't register very high on my "things to worry about" scale. I have a tub around that's used maybe once a year, maybe less. I'm not much for putting goop on things anyway.
    Click here before you buy.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yes, if you're a rat or mouse and ingest large quantities, it is carcinogenic.

Doesn't register very high on my "things to worry about" scale. I have a tub around that's used maybe once a year, maybe less. I'm not much for putting goop on things anyway.

yup, same as above
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

And I love how it says "known to the State of California to be carcinogenic." (At least it used to.) Because they apparently have so much more information there than the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    And I love how it says "known to the State of California to be carcinogenic." (At least it used to.) Because they apparently have so much more information there than the rest of the country.
    Probably a labelling requirement.

Regardless - that sort of brings up an important point - every single container of furacin ointment or spray that I've ever seen says that it's carcinogenic in mice and rats. Read the labels...so important.

Furacin works well on scrapes and minor cuts. Do I worry that I'm going to sprout cancer from slapping it on a cut? No. But I've used the stuff for a decade, 99% of the time without gloves. Probably not a smart plan. In my 'old age', I DO wear gloves, or use a tongue depressor. Takes a couple of seconds more but seems better than the alternative, dontcha think?

CA Prop 65 is actually just a warning label, just like toxic materials and caution labels. It's on art products and tons of other stuff. Since it's for stuff labeled as toxic by the state of California, that's why it says that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor..._65_%281986%29

I know you were trying to be comical, but in case you didn't know what CA Prop 65 was, I wanted to at least give you a link

Exactly why I choose to use other products - no risk, at least the same results

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Exactly why I choose to use other products - no risk, at least the same results
    So for the curious minds, what other product do you use?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Re: CA prop 65 - I know it's a warning label...but it still cracks me up.

Back to the original topic - I do use it, but not often. Only for sweats, pretty much - I use Biozide for cuts and scrapes. If I am using Furacin, I usually wear gloves, just because I hate trying to wash it all off!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    I know I'm not JB (not the one you asked anyway) but if it's something I would *think* about using Furacin on, I just go for the human generic triple antibiotic ointment. Sticks a heck of a lot better and doesn't just run off if the horse breaks a sweat either. That's my main complaint about Furacin is that it just falls off and doesn't stick worth a damn. It's the last thing I go for. I'd use Povidine ointment or Triple Antibiotic ointment ahead of it every time.

I prefer Biozide or Nolvasan ointment. I also really like Derma Gel spray.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I have an old tub hanging around, don't use it much, but nowadays (since hearing that it can be carciogenic) would use gloves, as with DMSO.

For the next time I buy a tub, what would you recommend for a Fruacin sweat, since that is what I used it for mainly. For small nicks I use that purple liquid because it works even though it shows up on my greys.

Nolvasan isn't good to use below the knee or hock because it encourages proud flesh to form. Mostly I use Nolvasan ointment for deep cuts below the knee. For not so deep cuts I use Calendula cream.

I prefer the white sweat ointment that traileze makes. I hate furacin mostly from the color that stains.. could be a carcinogen. I will be surprised at little where that is concerned

Re: CA prop 65 - I know it's a warning label...but it still cracks me up.

Back to the original topic - I do use it, but not often. Only for sweats, pretty much - I use Biozide for cuts and scrapes. If I am using Furacin, I usually wear gloves, just because I hate trying to wash it all off!
    If you're having trouble washing it off, it probably isn't furacin One thing I *like* about it is that it's water soluble...

I had a horse get cast a couple months ago. Really dinged up his hind legs - but not anything you could stitch and not bleeding. Washed every day with betadine and applied furacin, and was scabbing and growing back hair within the week. I've used other things and haven't had them work as well so I stick with what works. YMMV.

I remember when I bought my first tub that had that warning on it. We all chuckled that the old tub must not have been carcinogenic and the new tub was.

I only use it for sweats and wear gloves just because it is messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    Personally, I use 2 Dynamite products, one for fresher/deeper wounds, one for more shallow/older wounds.

But if I didn't use those, I'd use one of the several products out there which have tea tree oil - Healing Tree Products has several. Emerald Valley has a couple I think. Miracle Mist is another brand.There are others that incorporate grapeseed extract (often also with tto), and honey.

Another Derma Gel user.

I use gloves or a rag to apply it if its the only thing I can find in a friends' first aid kit. I prefer people triple antibiotic (what my vet reccomends) or some other topical that doesn't have a warning like that. There are tons of them out there and I use them rarely enough that I don't have a favorite product, but really anything with antiseptic healing properties works for me.
    My blog:

RAWR