The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Share Barn Related Ghost Stories

I thought it would be fun to hear anyone's ghost stories (horse-related of course) since it is that time of year

I know there must be some people w/ haunted properties out there!

I have some of my own...

A golf course/restaurant where I worked during my summers in college was built a mile down the road from Saratoga Race Course. It was built maybe 9 years ago over what used to be a well known racehorse owner's old property which housed his home and stables (I'm talking in maybe early 1900's). He was also a part of the mob, you know that "scene" when Saratoga was the happening place for the wealthy to vacation from NYC. Apparently when he died, his ashes were spread in the pond on the property which the outdoor terrace overlooks. When I first started working there, the bartender told me how there were 2 separate occassions when he was closing up shop at around 1-2 in the morning, he put all of the barstools up on the bar so the cleaning staff could properly sweep. He exited the room for something, then went back in and the stools were all back down on the floor as if he never touched them. Also, workers have said to see a white ghost walk across the 18th hole next to the pond late at night. Creepy, huh?!

I'll play.

This actually happened to me. It wasn't hearsay, or a friend of a friend's cousin's aunt's brother.

I used to live on a small farm in MD. Conny was boarded there as well. The owner's wife (they lived on the property) swore the place was haunted. Meh, okay, whatever.

I was cleaning stalls one day when all the horses were out of the barn. Lovely day, early November. No wind, sunny, and just chilly enough to make physical labor seem more like fun than work.

I was pulling a loaded wheel barrow out of one stall, when I saw a stall door at the end of the barn open, and then close again. This stall door in particular you had to drag open, because it tended to fall in toward the stall.

There were no cats in the barn with me, and that door was too heavy for them to have moved it anyway.

At another time, I was watering the horses and it felt like I was playing tug of war with someone on the other end of the hose. I could see where the hose was being pulled, but couldn't see anyone or anything.

I have a lot more stories about that farm, so yeah, I think I agree with the owner's wife now!

The only thing 'haunting' my farm in VA are various rodentia, and some black snakes.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Oct. 29, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

The barn I go to is bordered on one side by an interstate and apparently down in the woods between the farm and said interstate, a body was found some years ago. Some time after that, a mannequin was found in around the same spot (still there, I think, they tell me you can see parts of it sticking out of the underbrush in wintertime). Kinda weird.

The barn owner swears to me she thinks there's a ghost on the property and I have to agree with her. Being in the arena alone at night is pretty creepy, at least, lights on or off.

I'll play. I love ghost stories.

My old mare (28) and my young gelding (6) were best of friends since the day he arrived at my farm when he was 1. Sadly I had to have her put down last year. Every day for the first 2 weeks after she passed he would come out of his stall and go straight to hers just like he had been doing for years to wait for her to join him. Broke my heart and still does when I think about it.

When she had been gone for about 2-3 months I started seeing shadows out of the corner of my eyes and hearing her joints pop so I knew it was her LOL, and always the gelding would be somewhere in the vacinity. After a day or 2 I dreamed about her, and in the dream she was young and beautiful again. The very next morning the gelding came out of his stall and went straight to hers just like he used to. It was the last time he ever did that and I haven't seen her since.

I swear she had come to say goodbye to both of us.

A farm that I boarded at as a kid was certainly haunted:

On more than one occasion, I saw a white horse running around the property. Well after dark, said horse had a glow about him (?). The first few times I saw this horse, I did a grey horse head count in the barn/pastures-all accounted for. This happened SEVERAL times over the years.

Adults and kids alike would hear horses in the aisle-brick pavers, made a very distinct sound. Once again, all horses would be in stalls and accounted for.

I have more, but will have to get back later....

My barn has a hay loft. I have never felt comfortable going up there. A co-workers husband sees dead people and came out one day and confirmed a ghost.
    Well, it seems the ghost is a poltergeist. I wrap the hose up nice and neat every night. Every morning, it has a knot or 2 in it.
    About a month ago, I actually heard it, it was making stomping noises above the tackroom. Normally, my horses do not like it if I go up to the hayloft if they are in as it makes alot of noise, and they will run out into their runs until I come down. Well this morning, none were fazed by the noise, eating their breakfast, totally oblivious to the noise. My cats were all accounted for. I was tempted to go see what was making the noise but chickened out!
    While it has a humor to it, it is helpful. Things that are missing, like fly masks, have a way of turning up, hanging nice and neat on the hooks. I used to think it was my daughter until it happened after she moved to college.
    And, the hayloft has windows that overlook my wash rack. I always feel like I am being watched when in the wash rack.

And at a barn I used to manage, the barn owner had mirrors all along the perimeter of the fence, facing outwards. Apparently that keeps the ghosts away. I was at the barn very late, braiding for a show the next day. As I was finishing up, all of a sudden, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, I got very cold, and I had the sensation to LEAVE NOW! Trust me, I did!

1 members found this post helpful.

One night (this was a good 15 years ago) a parent came into the lounge to get their kid. There were maybe 6 of us in the lounge-it was normal for our parents to leave us at the barn until later at night. Anyway, the mother asked if one of us was going to put the horse in the indoor away. We responed that there was not a horse in the indoor that we knew of-this was not a large enough barn for someone else to have been there without us knowing about it. Mom says there there was certainly a grey horse in the indoor when she walked into the barn....We all walked to the indoor-no grey horse.

This farm was always making noises, it was quite normal to hear stall doors opening and closing..when you knew there was no one else in the barn.

Oddly enough, sometimes there was an over-all creepy vibe at this farm-sometimes. Sometimes, you felt completly comfortable-and sometimes this overwhelming YIKES would hit you like a ton of bricks.

In college I worked on a guest ranch as a wrangler AKA - trail guide. Four of us lived in a cabin on the ranch that was from the old homesteading days. It had minor modern conviences, but it was very, very rustic- propane fridge, very, very limited hydroelectic that allowed us one very dim light at a time- running water- but from a stream and a hot water tank that gave about a 12 bathtub of luke warm water. Rustic for sure! Plus it was 7 miles off a dirt road, abutting 30,000 acres of national forest. So if someone was coming in a car- you would hear them about 3 miles away- see the lights about 1 mile away.

Anyway- one night I was there alone painting and I got that feeling I was being watched- hair on the back of my neck stood up and I got cold. But nothing more than that- just feeling watched.

When my roomies got home I asked them if they ever "felt" anything- 1 did - the other 2 didn't. Said we were crazy etc. just freaked out because we were in the middle of the woods.

A few nights later one of the nay sayers woke us up in the middle of the night- said someone was sitting on her chest and she saw two men in her room. FREAKY!

Then another night we had some of the staff over from the main lodge for a party. We had a rule that if you drank- you stayed because it was such a dark winding road home. So a few of the guys who worked in the kitchen were sleeping in the main room downstairs. When I got up at 5 AM to go round up the horses I found one of the guys from the kitchen (from Oakland, CA) sleeping under a big chest in the dinning room. I woke him up to find out why he was under there and he said in the middle of the night he woke up to 3 cowboy dudes standing over him. He said later he'd never been so scared in his life. He wouldn't come back out there after that night.

Then in the fall a group of hunters stayed there- and they had the same complaint- 3 men standing over them - or one of then trying to sit on their chest. Ghosts definitely liked to intimidate people who were "tough."

I finally got the story from the owners of the property- the house we stayed in was the gathering place for all the homesteaders in the area. One night there was a bar fight and three men died.

On that same property there was another homesteader who died--there was a small one room cabin in the middle of some out buildings (root cellar- wood shed etc.) Apparently in a bad winter storm he cut his leg with an axe and died of gangrine. His wife walked 26 miles into town with her baby and lived. Most of the homesteaders didn't make it through the winter, there was just so much snow- I can't even imagine!!! There was a feeling of saddness when you walked around those buildings, but I don't know if that was just because I knew the story, or because of the feeling run down old buildings.

Anyway- I guess the cowboy ghosts didn't feel threatened by me because I lived in that same cabin the next summer alone, and never had a scary experience. I would get that cold feeling every now and then, but I always felt very safe there.

GHOST STORY #1

Years ago I boarded at a barn where all the horses spooked badly at a certain corner near the entrance to the arena. It was a real problem and several people had been dumped badly in this corner. A boarder had a pet psychic out to work with her horse. The psychic knew nothing about this spooky spot but said "He hates that corner, the one with the dead pig. The dead pig thinks it's funny to run out and scare the horses."

GHOST STORY #2

I lived on site at a big eventing barn and was responsible for dealing with nighttime emergencies. A horse colicked horribly and died of a rupture. It was a gruesome death and very disturbing for all involved. Not long after, I would often hear hoofbeats on the concrete aisleways, late at night. I'd go to investigate, thinking a horse was loose. Never found a horse. I thought it was my imagination.

Later, other people also reported hearing this noise and investigating at night. We decided it was the ghost of the horse, Oliver. I think people tried to talk to the ghost. Not long after, the night footsteps stopped.

People have some really great stories!

I have another one... the barn where I rode for around 15 years, I would feed the 30+ horses everyday after high school and often be the last one to leave at night (waiting for my dad to pick me up, pre-driver's liscense). I was sitting in the office one night w/ the door shut because I could hear the coyotes howling in the old corn field that my trainer turned into a huge jumping/hunt course. No one else was at the barn, I had turned all of the lights off in the indoor arena and adjacent barn. The office has a huge picture window looking towards the doors to the said barn. The doors are SO heavy, I always had to lean on them with all of my weight in order to open and close them. Sitting there, I watched w/ my own eyes the door open about 3 feet, then close. Loud noise and everything. From then on I was SO scared to be in that place w/ not enough lights on. I would literally run out of the barn at night after turning the lights out.

Also, the assistant trainer was there at night alone as well (both of these incidents happend in the Fall), and she walked into the back barn where the lights were flashing on and off and the horses were all running circles in their stalls.

I was shopping at Kroger and saw that the 2' animated ghost was 25% off! I bought one and brought it hone for the kids. Unbeknown too me they decided to string him up between the beams in what use to be our breeding shed. We have a huge fall party there every year and they were decorating....Anyway I went in there to get something out of my farm medicine cabinet and it went off. It is a motion sensor and when it goes off it flies back and forth and screams and moans and lights flash. It was clear dark when I went in the building - it scared the freaking crap out of me!!!!!!!!

Otherwise i do not believe in ghosts so the rest is hogwash too me.

Here is a few paranormal sites that claim to have actual ghosts - I dunno but you have to look close and listen with the sound way up. Give it a go and tell me what you think - links in my signature...
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Otherwise i do not believe in ghosts so the rest is hogwash too me.
    Woodland, I used to have the same opinion.

Once freaky things start happening to you and not someone else telling you about them, you'll change your tune. I know I sure did.

The two things I mentioned were just two small incidents of many things that happened on that farm while I lived there.

I don't usually share the stories, because who would believe them?
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

oooo, I love these stories!

2 episodes of spooky weirdness for me.

1. When I had Bam Bam, the half-Arab, half-lunatic gelding, I spent the summer that I was 17 trail riding almost every day. I'd take him out on the dirt road network around the boarding barn. Lots of directions and choices to make a lap. There was an old plank bridge that sounded neat - Bam never blinked an eye at it. He never spooked when you expected him to, and then he'd flip over nothing. But not far up from the old plank bridge was an old church with graveyard. I'll admit, I turned in a few times to ride around the cemetery. There was one specific spot of that cemetery that that horse would NOT approach. Giraffe neck, ears up, tail up. Other tombstones were okay. Other parts were okay. We were NOT going to get close to the group of graves in one corner. I even tried dismounting and leading him, tried treats, etc. Nope. I later discovered that NOT ONE person at the barn had ever been able to get a horse to approach that area of the cemetery. Even the perfect, BTDT trail horse. Nobody.

2. Years after my big black ASB died, the one I had to shoot myself on the property because the vet was 45 minutes away, I was walking out in the pasture and found one of his shoes. I know it was one of his because he wore hot forged shoes with a certain kind of clip that no other horse I have ever had has worn. Nobody prior to me has ever had horses on this property. Suddenly, there was this shoe, lying on top of the ground, nice and shiny, looked new. Absolutely did NOT look like it had been out in the weather and dirt even a week, much less years.

2 1/2 (on the farm but not horse related). One night, I was typing in the office and suddenly out of nowhere remembered my first Siamese, my Ultimate Cat. She always particularly loved the floor heat vents and would sit on top of them toasting her breast and chin. This memory hit me very strongly out of absolutely nowhere. About 20 seconds later, the thermostat clicked, and the furnace came on. Instantly, of the two cats in the room, HRH Rosalind, successor Siamese, snapped eyes open out of a nap, sat up, bristled, and stared at that office heat vent. Chiam the calico, who unlike Rosalind had actually known Sabra, immediately looked at the same heat vent and started purring sociably. I turned to look myself and could see nothing, but Rosalind looked like a cat in a horror movie, blazing eyes and absolutely fixated on that vent. I actually grabbed the camera and got a picture of her "something wicked this way comes" stare. A few minutes later, everybody suddenly settled down again. I posted the picture of Rosalind on a cat list asking for a poll of how many thought that cat actually saw something, and how many thought she (and I) were imagining things. The unanimous opinion was that she definitely saw something.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post

The two things I mentioned were just two small incidents of many things that happened on that farm while I lived there.

I don't usually share the stories, because who would believe them?
    I admit, I haven't had a "real" ghost experience.

That said, I'm fascinated by the stories and I've certainly got an open mind where they're concerned. I'd love to "hear" more if you were willing to tell more.

I'm also curious where in MD the farm was/is.

I have had a few as well..

The strongest was the day I put my once in a lifetime mare down. She was my first horse, I got her when I was 9, and I had been around her a bit before that. I really don't have much memory of her not being around.

So the night we let her go I had let her 2 pasture mates (a 12h pony and a 17h tb) say goodbye to her after she had passed. My whole family was there, including my dad and 2 non horsey brothers. I wanted to stay with her until the truck came, but my family didn't want to watch that. My oldest brother left about 20 min before the truck arrived. My dad and youngest brother left once the truck arrived. i knew she was gone, but I still felt her there.

A few days after they both sat me down and told me they saw my mare standing at my side in the field as I sat next to her body. They both questioned my mom about why had I let my other gelding back out as they were leaving. My mom, who stayed with me and her body, assured them that no other horses were in that field. They both swear they saw another orange horse (my mare was a fiery orange chestnut) standing at my right shoulder (where my mare always stood as she was blind in her right eye and always wanted to see me, plus had amazing ground manners and never had her nose pasted my shoulder unless I asked for it).

I believe it 100%. I don't feel her there anymore, but I did for quite some time after the fact.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

It was a dark and stormy night..... l's all goosebumps just reading this thread.

I'm guessing this is related, since it happened on our farm..

We bought our land and then had our house built. Quite a few years later, my husband and I were asleep in bed. It was very early in the morning and I was in that quasi-conscious state between being awake and asleep. I felt a presence and awoke to see what seemed like an older gentleman who stalked away to the corner of the bedroom before vanishing. I never saw his face but I got the distinct feeling that he was annoyed that I woke up and not my husband. It was the wierdest experience-but more magical than spooky.

I'm also convinced that a grackle that has taken up residence in my barn is my father-in-law and it always makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    There is a pub in downtown Calgary called the Hose and Hound that used to belong to the firehall at the time when they used horses to draw the carriages. What is now the kitchen area was where the stables were and the firemen were housed in the next room so they were close to the horses. At that time, a ticker tape machine was used to type off the address of the fire. It was said when the horses heard the ticker tape they would all come out of their standing stalls and stand in the aisle, waiting to be geared up to the carriage. Well, apparently, the firehall suffered a fire and burnt down and they lost several of their good horses. They rebuilt the firehall, but the firemen always believed the firehouse to be haunted as they would hear clip-clopping of the hooves, and all the living horses would turn their heads to look, but nothing would be seen.

Today, it is a pub. The ticker tape is still there, but has been disconnected from electricity. What's creepy about that, is periodically the ticker tape will go off and the kitchen staff will hear the clip-clopping of the horse's hoofs down the alley way and then they stop about mid way. What's even creepier, is the ticker tape will have an actual address of a fire that is really burning in the city.

We ate in the pub, but did not see the ticker tape or hear the horses, but 2 of the waiters and 3 of the waitresses we questioned have indeed experienced it.

Next door to that is an old theatre and it is apparently haunted by several ghosts which many people have seen, not just the actors and actresses, but also those in the audience looking towards the stage will see pale people walking across stage or walking up and down the aisle. Apparently during rehearsals, quite often there is an "audience" of a few individuals sitting in the seats.
    what street? i live in calgary now

The barn I bought my first mare from, I was 12 then, was an old old hunt club, as in fox hunting, from the 1700's. At the time I was there, it was owned privately. It was constructed with the most beautifu, 14 x 14 stalls, with wrought iron bars, old old wood, and the aisles were brick. I say Aisles, because it was a rabbit warren of stalls and aisles - 6 stalls, then a right angle turn, then another 8 stalls, aisles going off of that. At the end of one aisle was double doors to a large garage, which was an old carriage shed. In there were straight stalls, with the curved wrought iron dividers between, and places for the carriages. Very elegant and old. There was a tack room with an apartment above it for the - lets see, what did they call him - the groom? I can't remember. Anyway only my mare and three ther horses lived there at the time, and one day I had put my mare away and the other two horses wer out in pasture, adjacent to the barn. I was cleaning up the aisle, and I heard hooves on the brick, around a corner where I couldn't see, a big bangning, like a horse breaking out of a stall, and though my mare as getting out. She was a pistol; it could happen! I stepped around the corner and she was in her stall just fine. Still heard the horse coming from another part of the barn, that sound of scrambling on the hard stones of the aisle, and i thought one of the other horses must have broken into the barn, and was going to run through the barn to get out the other end, and there was the sound of a horse galloping down an aisle, I am trying to find it, arms akimbo so as to ward it off, and I hear it round a corner and slide and scramble, as though going down, catch its self, and come on towards me, but no horse is there, in an instant it has burst past me, out the front door onto the paved area which was surrounded by split rail fencing and pastures on three sides, and one, two, three, the galloping strides rise up over the fence and gallop away into the field.

Swear to Dog this happend. I never saw a horse. Some horse broke out and ran by me. I figured it was an old energy from days past.

Uber creepy, but uber kewl.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.