The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SOMEONE at Barbour NEEDS to know what any "authorized representative" is doing. Suppose ALL American retailers did this and ALL American-used Barbour coats were ruined to wear. What kinf of reputation does Barbour get???

At the very LEAST, the store should have their authorization to sell Barbour pulled.

How naive!

Do you honestly and truthfully believe that manufacturers deem retailers to be worthy and "authorise" them to sell their products?

Do you honestly think that because of what one sales assistant in one store in the USA told one customer to do to a stinky smelly jacket that Barbour's reputation would be blown?

Do you honestly think that if everyone in the USA suddenly decided that they needed to go totally against the manufacturers clearly labelled instructions and clearly communicated on their own web site and wreck their jackets that it would ruin the reputation of Barbour?

For goodness sakes get a grip. This is the retail market. Manufacturers make the product and then they're sold to people who pay money for them and who in turn make a profit by selling them. You buy a jacket, it's got a label on and it tells you how to deal with it.

Just do it!

If you go asking someone else what to do then best check they know what they're talking about.

Same in a shop as it is here.

The jacket is wrecked because the manufacturer's instructions weren't followed.

Just the same as when by mistake I put a wool jumper in the washing machine when it was wrapped in the sheets! It shrunk so it wouldn't even fit my grandson. Or when Sue put her suit in because she was sick of taking it to the dry cleaners.

You learn a lesson and buy another !

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    How naive!

Do you honestly and truthfully believe that manufacturers deem retailers to be worthy and "authorise" them to sell their products?

Do you honestly think that because of what one sales assistant in one store in the USA told one customer to do to a stinky smelly jacket that Barbour's reputation would be blown?

Do you honestly think that if everyone in the USA suddenly decided that they needed to go totally against the manufacturers clearly labelled instructions and clearly communicated on their own web site and wreck their jackets that it would ruin the reputation of Barbour?

For goodness sakes get a grip. This is the retail market. Manufacturers make the product and then they're sold to people who pay money for them and who in turn make a profit by selling them. You buy a jacket, it's got a label on and it tells you how to deal with it.

Just do it!

If you go asking someone else what to do then best check they know what they're talking about.

Same in a shop as it is here.

The jacket is wrecked because the manufacturer's instructions weren't followed.

Just the same as when by mistake I put a wool jumper in the washing machine when it was wrapped in the sheets! It shrunk so it wouldn't even fit my grandson. Or when Sue put her suit in because she was sick of taking it to the dry cleaners.

You learn a lesson and buy another !
    All good advice BUT its not your perogative to say 1. Barbour won't care and 2. for her not to inform the CEO.
    You might be covering your butt because you causully let it drop you hunt w/ him.
    But any company worth its PR department well knows bad mouthing a product or retailer is like flame to brush....

Case in point...while in Ireland recently w/ friends/clients they noticed my spouse n I both wearing Barbour genuine and knock off jackets. They brought no rain coats w/ them. That idea I can't explain. And while in a shop saw gorgeous wax cotton rain wear. Bought one put it on immediately and went hicking for 1 hour in the soft rain. Coat was soaked thru. Weather resistant/Water repellant what ever wet thru to lining wet. Same material, same smell feel zipper and lining plaid as my spouses genuine Barbour and my "Mrs Motion Middleburg knock off" ours were fine.
    I took that wet coat right back into that shop "Full" of tourist and politley but firmly presented the coat. They took one look and immediately apologized said waxing must have been defective and ponied up a better coat w/ a "Come Again" smile....
    Since "OP's coat was 4 yrs old I am sure tags long gone. Not everyone immediately jumps on the internet to find coat cleaning instructions. And if the shop sells the product they should know the proper care and dispense the knowledge or tell her to either "lets go see what label says" or "lets call Barbour". NOT here wash it up before "Our People Repair it".
    That store circumvented ever avenue to keep work "In-House".
    OP has every right to let people know she revieved bad information and Barbour has every right to know a retailer gave out information that ruined a product.
    Should she get a "brand new" coat probably not. But she should be compensated by "Horse Country" for the value of her coat. 4yr Mint Condition out of closet based on E-Bay prices perhaps.
    Washing a wool jumper that was hung up in laundry does noet eqate nor does washing a product that previously had always been dry cleaned. The Jumperst was a accident unkown until done, the second was deliberate w/ full knowledge of previous care.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    When it comes to specialty items? You bet. Some products are only carried by certain outlets, and if those outlets are downright disreputable - for whatever reason - the manufacturer may choose to no longer deal with those outlets. Certainly let them know.

That said, it's not Barbour's problem. I'd sure raise a biiiiiig stink with the retailer, though, and go higher up in that chain - if there's anywhere to go. Their "expert" advice destroyed a very expensive product. If they want your business, or anyone else's, they should take better care to not hire complete idiots.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I agree with Thomas on this one. I can imagine the conversation while out hunting, if you do write Barbour's CEO...actually, I don't want to imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    I asked multiple times about this machine washing technique, because I was dubious about the idea (and ruining the washing machine with the wax!), but since the owner of this amazing, reputable tack shop personally advised me to do so, and was almost emphatic about it, I went ahead with it.
    Here's the root of the issue. You chose to do what this woman said. Take it up with her.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Default Geesh

Why not??? if you bought a vehicle and the dealer advised you on their "expert" advice to wash you car w/ a product/technique they recommend and the finish is ruined, don't tell me you wouldn't write scream kick to the company.
    No it was not "Barbours" fault...but someone who represents/retails a high end product w/ a recognized name/reputation and upon their advice directly causes the product to be rendered unuseable. I believe there is a consequence and a piper to be paid.
    All "Horse Country" had to say was follow manufactureres cleaning instructions and we canhave jacket repaired for you. BUT they didn't.

At the very least Barbour can send a letter or dealer notice out regarding cleaning advice urging dealers to have a full working knowledge or to safely defer to labeled instructions not to dispense damaging product advice. None is better than bad.

I think it is absolutely useful to write a letter to the original manufacturer. Yes, it was the retailer's "fault" to some degree for giving you useless advice, but manufacturers often care very much about how their products are represented, especially if they make specialty or high end products.

Not a horsey item, but I once bought a jar of salsa from a regular store - it was a small, regional gourmet brand. Though the seal was good the salsa had fermented. I wrote to the brand headquarters and they sent me a CASE of brand new salsa and a whole CARTON of their brand of chips, too.

Some brands are very concerned with maintaining their reputation and you may get a nice coupon out of the conversation.

Doesn't hurt to try anyway.

After reading this thread I can't even imagine what anyone would want with a stinky, non
    washable, hard to deal with coat, ESPECIALLY for that kind of money. YUK.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    When it comes to specialty items? You bet. Some products are only carried by certain outlets, and if those outlets are downright disreputable - for whatever reason - the manufacturer may choose to no longer deal with those outlets.

I've shopped at Horse Country since oh.... 1977 or so and it's not an establishment I'd call "disreputable". When I was a kid it was a real treat to go to Horse Country. When I got my license I was thrilled to DRIVE there all by myself! I've been a regular customer for a long time.

This is one of the few "real" tack stores remaining in the US. It's where you can find anything, and be outfitted for pretty much any discipline. You will only ever find the best quality imported fabrics, exceptional quality tack, she deals in rare books and her art collection is quite admirable.

If you step into Horse Country - you will find that these are not low paid workers in service sector jobs. These are employees who stay for decades - and at least one is a former Master of a well known hunt club. Her customers run the range of redneck scum like me, to some of most respected horsemen in the United States.

You know how she deals with a complaint? The old fashioned way. The customer is always right. If you have an emergency - she and her staff have been known to open the store up. They REALLY go out of the way for a customer - no matter how small the purchase is.

People ship things to her from all over the country - JUST to have her deal with it.

In all my years of shopping there I have had ONE complaint about a saddle. I was fairly pissed off at the manufacturer who was being absolutely horrible.

I talked to Marion. Her answer? Bring the saddle back. She was not at fault, she had done nothing wrong - but she had a ticked off customer and that just wouldn't do. So I returned a saddle costing almost 3k.

I'm very sorry the OP's Barbour was ruined. I don't know what the whole story is - but um... Horse Country employees aren't known for giving bad advice. Neither is Marion. Still - the jacket has great sentimental value and it's a terrible shame.

I note that Horse Country offered the OP 50$ on a new jacket? Actually - I think that's a generous offer. They didn't sell her the jacket.

She can go ahead and complain to the Barbour CEO if she wants - maybe he'll send her a brand new jacket. I'd never do such a rude thing but that's just me.

Dunno - I've never received anything but excellent advice and service from Horse Country.

Honestly, it's so easy to find out care instructions for most products these days (including Barbour) by going to the manufacturer's website. If you no longer have a tag on your coat, that's the best place to go.

I am sorry for the OP but I don't think it's the fault of the tack store.

Actually, I think *much* of the advice coming from tack store employees is questionable.

Should they get their licensing agreement withdrawn? If that were the case then based on what I've been told by employees at both Dover and SmartPak, there are a few products that shouldn't be sold at those stores either.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

How very odd.
    I got my Barbour Bedale in the early 1980's.
    Once I wore it out and it got thrown up on while pub hopping. Don't ask.
    My mother, bless here heart, washed it. With detergent.

I was mortified. Flabbergasted, actually.
    The coat was in tact, a dry stiff thing, but perfectly in tact. I just re-waxed it with the Barbour jacket wax, It's still fine. I love that coat, It's got rubbed off sections on the wrists, but no complaints.

Barbour should repair the lining. When I bought the coat, from one of those tack guys in the UK who drives to different barns in a big truck, he said his was lost in his attic for years, put it down doing some moving and when he found it the lining had been eaten by mice and sent it to Barbour to repair it.
    They did.

The coat should not collapse in one washing, and some sort of soap that will take the wax out of the coat/lining then reapply wax. IF it's washed at all.

Personally? Accidents happen, I paid about 100 quid for mine back in the day, so it was expensive then, I just can't imagine the lining flaking out, but then again, I've seen Barbour on Sierra Trading Post, so I bet they aren't the finely made garment of yesteryear. Do they still make them in the UK?

Honestly, I think the quality suffered when every yuppy in the US wanted to wear one.

What did Country say in his signature line? Quality doesn't cost, it pays. Or something like that. I've had other coats, but the Bedale has outlived them all.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    At the very LEAST, the store should have their authorization to sell Barbour pulled.
    That's a little over the top...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yup, I would stir [things up]. Take them to the better business bureau or something. They might not be responsible for a whole new coat but they shold do better then $50. %50 off a new coat seems more reasonable to me!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 2, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: language
    Timothy, stop lurking

You got bad advice and used it. Washing a waxed coat? dumb. Isn't there an iPhone app for Barbour care? lol

Own it girlie, you lazily approached the care and feeding of a pricey, weird, waxed coat. It was so precious to you that you took bad advice and did a dumb thing. Just OWN that, ok?

I assure you I will be checking out the FAQ on my slicker's website, to ensure I wash/reproof it per their instructions. Asking at a dealer about it? Hardly. My gosh it is EASIER to contact the maker than it is to go to a shop and ask.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    After reading this thread I can't even imagine what anyone would want with a stinky, non
    washable, hard to deal with coat, ESPECIALLY for that kind of money. YUK.
    They're a British tradition so probably not something you would understand

Quite simply though:

1) They're totally waterproof and windproof
    2) Are great for carrying bloody dead game birds inside
    3) Last for 30 years and more and it doesn't matter how shabby they get
    4) Horse and dog snot just runs off them
    5) You never need to wash them
    6) Every few years you just slap some more wax on to stop the blood and water and snot soaking through!

What Thomas1 said.

When my old Barbour finally died I felt like giving it a Christian burial. It was older than I was. Got it cheap at a tack swap - it looked like hell. Rewaxed it, smelled up the bedroom with the hairdryer on that wax - and wore it until it fabric literally fell apart.

Sniff.

I bought another one a few years ago and I'm planning to be buried in it. I've not found any "modern" fabric or coat to beat the Barbour - except Carhartt - but my Carhartt jacket isn't quite comfortable enough for riding.

I'm British, a farmer's child, and I'd not buy another.

Sorry--there are better modern fabrics that can keep you warm and dry and don't have that insanitary component to them. Of course they lack a certain hairy, public school, fear of underarm deodorant, Hooray Henry quality, but I've found I can survive quite nicely on my ranch without the requirement to go round smelling like a dead rat.

Hot running water is no longer a rarity, even in the wilder parts of Britain, so washing one's clothes is no longer a luxury or an indication of softness.

However, many years ago when I was a student out in the wilds of Norfolk, my then boyfriend decided that the best way to finish off the re-proofing process on his Barbour was to put it in the Aga. Unfortunately, he promptly went to the pub and forgot all about it. You have never, ever smelt anything quite like what greeted us upon waking the following morning.

Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    I asked multiple times about this machine washing technique, because I was dubious about the idea (and ruining the washing machine with the wax!), but since the owner of this amazing, reputable tack shop personally advised me to do so, and was almost emphatic about it, I went ahead with it.

you was ill advised by the tack shop worker so theefore need to take it up with them and not the manufactor

when people work in tack shops they are surposed to be equine freindly

obviously your one wasnt as they wanted to sell a coat
    all barbours have a label inside the coat as to how to look after said coat the same with any item of clothing theres a size label and how to look after label

its stitched into the tartan side of the coat at the back of the neck cant miss it

i have had mine since i was 15years old and today is as good as ever
    they last for years if you follow instructions on the label

JSwan is right about Horse Country. I would fly there from California if I had to kit myself out from scratch. Wendy - who was long an avid COTHer that many of us dearly love - is such a pro, and Marion sets the bar so high that few if any other shops will ever reach her standards.
    EDDIE WOULD GO