The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default Yay COTH is back! Feedback please!

I missed COTH ... I just don't have another horse forum like it.

The ad bar on the right is kind of distracting ... it takes up a third of my browser window.

Off to see what else is new ...

[Note from Mod 1]:

We just stickied this thread and added to the title so people can find it. We just reopened the site and are still working through some glitches and formatting issues, so please continue to provide your feedback.

I'm sending in my own list.

No need for end of the world predictions--we obviously want the forums to continue to be as great as they were (while paying the bills), so we'll all have our ears on for your input. The great thing about website design is we can keep on tweaking.

Thanks!
    Mod 1
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 6, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add mod note
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Yeah, the actual forums part are really tiny now....
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Its slooooooooow too, but hoping thats temporary
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I agree with the comments above. I missed it, am glad it is back but what I am seeing at this time is NOT an improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is beyond slow. The pale text on white background is sucky, and is poor web design technique. Congrats COTH, you have signed the death warrant for the forums, I predict they are going to have a huge decrease in usage. The old format was extremely fast, good contrast of text on page, and the whole point of the forums is to be able to read the comments, not have only a tiny portion of the page allotted to that content.
    very disgusted....
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add content
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Umm, eek. I hate it. They made the forums smaller, and the ads bigger. Plus the green is light, and hard to see. The text is way to small.

Ugh, I dunno...I was really looking forward to CoTH being back, but this is just a disaster to me. :-(
    Last edited by BoysNightOut; Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

All new things are hard to get used to. I guess I'll just have to lean a little left!
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and you made a bad decision.

I think Firefox is actually blocking all the ads for me (at least for now), yay... I actually like the color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    I missed COTH ... I just don't have another horse forum like it.

The ad bar on the right is kind of distracting ... it takes up a third of my browser window.
    well it is different...I like the bigger ads as the ads pay for the site and I would be more inclined to spend money on a bigger ad

ETA the redirect is doing weird things just so you know
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thumbs down Oh what a MESS!!

The whole too bright and busy border is NOT RELAXING!! It is stressful. This USED TO BE an enjoyable site, a place to escape and relax during the day. Not exactly a GOOD idea for better advertising!! I just cannot emphasize this ENOUGH.

And the small finer text on the messages is HELL for older folks that need reading glasses!!

Hint - try the zoom level on your monitor and then scroll over and you can delete the right hand side.

It's kinda cheesy...you know what I mean? There are so many colors going on I am having a sensory overload

I don't need to see all the debugging info either. That is bound to freak some people out
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    well it is different...I like the bigger ads as the ads pay for the site and I would be more inclined to spend money on a bigger ad
    Naw.... the bigger ads just mean they just priced out the little guys. The small ads were already VERY expensive. This just means only the "big guns" will be able to advertise on the forum.

The color scheme is a bit difficult to see, and not loving the super narrow format of the actual forums. Ugh.

I thought it was fine before, but maybe this will turn out to have some great feature I haven't discovered yet. (trying to think positive here)
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    All new things are hard to get used to. I guess I'll just have to lean a little left!
    I am thinking this is not a thing to get used to unless maybe my eye doctor has some neat tricks for me being to more easily read pale green font on a light colored back ground. And for an old thing my eyes are not that bad compared to most and it is freaking hard to read.

Extra bonus on the messed up scale is that the font is more difficult to read easily so add that to pale green and it totally SUCKS!

And yes, things are freaking slow. Which I am hoping is a glitch because everything is new and that will fix itself.

The huge ads that make the viewing screen tiny are just annoying but something I guess I could ignore if they were not so bold and the forum itself is so freaking pale and hard to read.

Edit to add: For some reason it posted my post with no returns. It showed as one big paragraph and that is not how I typed it.

And it is so slow that my system keeps timing me out. It is VERY hard to get my COTH fix at work this way.

Crawlingly slow and really hard on my eyes.
    Whoever thought of this should have let us try it before it became reality. Remeber My Space???
    my smileys are still not all showing up.
    I HATE pale

Well, I'm just glad it's back!

I only see ads from SmartPak and Dover .

I'm sure the speed thing will be sorted out.

I hope the Chron isn't doing away with it's venerable old masthead overall, that would be tooooo much change for this old fogey!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

We just stickied this thread and added to the title so people can find it. We just reopened the site and are still working through some glitches and formatting issues, so please continue to provide your feedback.

I'm sending in my own list.

No need for end of the world predictions--we obviously want the forums to continue to be as great as they were (while paying the bills), so we'll all have our ears on for your input. The great thing about website design is we can keep on tweaking.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Before we go getting our panties in a wad, let's give COTH staff a chance to sort things out. Big upgrades like this are rarely problem-free. I'm sure forum speed will improve.

I do agree with the poster who mentioned the lighter green being harder to read.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Default The redesign is great!

What are you guys talking about?!!

Now that I can't read the light green subject lines, have to squint to read the text, and think that nearly half a page of advertisements is excessive....I'll spend more time working rather than reading COTH! Hooray for increased productivity!!

Um...jury's out for me until I try it out more. Slow loading, like others said. Are the smilies any better?

Quote Originally Posted by elctrnc View Post
    I'll spend more time working rather than reading COTH! Hooray for increased productivity!!
    Hmmmm.... Maybe all our employers contacted COTH and asked for these changes? It is a conspiracy to get us all to be more productive...

I keep getting database errors, or the site times out trying to load threads. Sometimes I have to refresh 3 or 4 times. I don't like the new look, but I'm sure it will be fine eventually. Just really don't like everything not loading.
    Cupid - 2001 to 2006 I miss you everyday!
    Consent - 4/16/86 to 7/7/07 You were the love of my life!