The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplies for new (second) horse?

I know I have all the skills to come up with a list on my own, but I know I'll forget something! And I'd only like to make one shopping trip, so I'm hoping you all can help me compile a list of supplies I should buy for my new horse.

I event and currently own one horse. If the last set of xrays come out clean today, I will have a second horse by this weekend. He has a stall and a spot in a turnout paddock. I already have all the stuff I need for one horse, including tons of medicine/first aid stuff, so I'm positive I won't need any more of that. I also have enough saddlepads for 10 horses.

I know I'll need to get him a blanket since I plan on clipping as soon as he gains a little weight. I'm thinking a Rambo Duo since I like the one my current horse has (and wouldn't it be cute if they matched). What else do you all recommend buying and what supplies do you all think are appropriate to share between horses?

I'd get new brushes for the second one, along with a bit and bridle. Sharing bits is gross, IMO unless you clean them in between, and adjusting bridles is tedious. You might need another saddle and girth, depending on fit. I'd have at least of two halters that fit him, because when you don't that's when one breaks.

Def new brushes and a bit and bridle. Not only an extra halter but LEAD ROPE(S).

Good luck! I hope it works out!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Definitely leadropes! I forgot this, and the lead was always invariably attached to the halter of the horse I had NOT just schlepped out to catch. I also ditto getting each their own bridle although it was not really a choice that I had-- I have an arab and a TB with vastly different sized noggins. My guys do share brushes, saddle pads, and the jump saddle but I have a limited amount of tack room space as I board them.

Congrats on your new guy!!

I have 5 horses right now, or I should say 3 ponies and 2 horses. They all share brushes, but they have their own saddle pads that work with the saddle I am using on them at the time. Two of them go english and western. They all have their own bridles/bits and breastplates. The ponies all use the same girths since they are close to the same size. QH is only 3.5 and growing so he has a couple of girths in big boy sizes for eng. and west. I also have boots for each one and wraps in pony and horse sizes. Since you are an eventer, the boots may be a good idea and his own set of polos. Also, you may want to get him a cooler.
    Good luck with the new kid!!
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

Halters and lead ropes are a must. I always have a back up halter for my guy just in case something were to happen.

I'd also get them separate bits and bridles.

Check that your saddle fits the new one well. If you're good about keeping your girth and saddle pads fairly clean I don't see the harm in them sharing.

I would buy new blankets for the new guy as you're planning. It'd be great if they're around the same size so if you pick up a few extra blankets both of them can use them if their existing blanket were to get wet, ripped or otherwise ruined.

I'd just remember that now you have two horses to do laundry for!

Unless you are extremely lucky, the new one will need a different size girth. Good idea to give each their own anyway in case you have any fungus or itch issues.

Ditto on the leadropes if you are required to provide them and your barn does not. They disappear alot quicker the the halters do.

Now, I never had a problem with wiping off a bit but adjusting that bridle is a pain so they eavch should have their own (again, I should be so lucky as to have anything from one horse fit another)
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.