The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resale Projects-tell me about yours!

How many of you have picked up resale projects? How many of you have been sucessful at reselling these projects? After it was all said and done, do you think it was worthwhile? What were the horses/ponies like that you picked up as projects?
    "...through his mane and tail the high wind sings,
    Fanning the hairs, who wave like feathered wings." William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLatte View Post
    How many of you have picked up resale projects? How many of you have been sucessful at reselling these projects? After it was all said and done, do you think it was worthwhile? What were the horses/ponies like that you picked up as projects?
    Not short term projects, but I bought/traded for three Arab mares that I thought I would raise a few foals from, then sell them while they were still worth something. Two of them died here after I'd had them 26 years (ages 36 and 27), and the other is still here at age 27 and is a lifer.

I guess that pretty much answers the "have you been successful at reselling these projects" part...

I bought a pony in NY when I was in college, shipped her home to WA, and sold her. Broke even, and was very happy with my choices. I helped an awesome pony find a life that suited her and kept her from a life that she didn't fit into. She was destined to be an IHSA horse and was definitely a one-person pony. I spent the school year putting basic training into her, then spent the summer taking her places (local shows, camping, etc.) Pony was 10 years old, 14.3-15hh, bay and generic.

Pony being shipped:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...82679811OoleKH

Pony at a local show:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...82679811JHmzUD

Pony going camping:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...82679811qHKKkv

Pony at her new home:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...82679811JpTxeB

Ah, well...

I've had mine for 11 years now.

Fabulous money making venture that was

My favorite "resale project story" was a mare I bought at a horse auction in the winter of 2000. She was a registered half Welsh mare by a stallion who I knew, who was by a rather well known (at the time) Northwest stallion. Her other half was Quarter Horse, and she was in foal to a Quarter Horse stallion -- I think an oops baby and he was probably just some youngster that hadn't gotten gelded yet.

I paid $740 for her, to the shock and amazement of everyone there. She paid that for a pony? She was a deal and I was thrilled.

Took her home, did some under saddle work with her, and got her tuned up nicely. She had a lovely filly the following spring.

The mare was a 10 mover -- just gorgeous, beautiful conformation, registered Half Welsh, going nicely under saddle and I sold her easily for $6500. I took that money and purchased and imported my first pony (my first import, not my first pony, obviously!).

Then, I had a lovely woman inquire about her filly. She just happened to have a hauling business, and so I traded the filly for the haul to bring my new colt home from Toronto, Canada (I live in Oregon).

So...... my first imported pony cost me $740!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Very cool stories! I picked up a 9 year old, fairly well-bred mare for $600. She's cute as a button, quiet and sweet. Hoping that I can show her once or twice and find her a great home and maybe end up with a down payment for a new truck.
    "...through his mane and tail the high wind sings,
    Fanning the hairs, who wave like feathered wings." William Shakespeare

Yes, I've done this several times. One was a very pretty golden palomino 14.1 hand quarter pony. He belonged to a guy who had a "thing" about gelding. Course he couldn't handle said pony as a stud. Pony stud would lead two steps and then take off running and pull the lead out of the guys hand. Guy got real mad and offered me said pony for $200. I took the pony home and did brain surgery. Put 6 weeks basic training on him and sold him for $1500 as "green but nicely started". This was 25 years ago and $1500 for a pony was a bunch of money! The new owners went on to show him and won many ribbons with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    . He belonged to a guy who had a "thing" about gelding.
    UGH, don't you just hate that? Stupid people who don't want to take the horse's "manhood." Barf.

My friend and I went in 50/50 on a project pony a year and a half ago. Honestly, we could have easily flipped her in a few months. We bought her for $500. She was a very dainty 13.2h, fine-boned medium pony who was living in an abandoned chicken barn with a rather large/stout young lady who was obviously too big to be riding the tiny pony and was intending to train the pony for barrel racing.

So we couldn't just leave her there. We brought her home, worked through some serious ground-manner issues, got her hardshipped with POA and got her started under saddle (walk/trot). Honestly, we could have sold her then and made a bit of a profit. She's still really young (just turned 6 this summer), is destined to be a hunter with 10+ movement and a really nice free-jump.

We have just held on to her because 1) she's an air-fern and doesn't eat that much, and we have the extra room for her, so we're not spending a fortune on upkeep, so it's really no big deal to keep her. 2) she's developed quite the personality and is an absolute love. She is also currently my weanling's buddy since he has no other horses his age to hang out with. 3) We want to make sure that she gets rehomed to the PERFECT home, so we are taking our time and being picky. We've also started hauling out for lessons to an A-circuit barn, and are planning on getting her some show miles come spring.

Since she's always technically for sale, my friend and I agree on price increases as her training increases. We're still having discussions on exactly how far along with her training we want to take her before aggressively starting to market her. I wouldn't be sad if she stayed in my barn forever, but I'm a little too old to be riding pony hunters!

I have done a bunch over the years but had 2 re-sales this year.

1. 14.2 Reg. Paint mare, purchased for $50 from BYB, and put 30 days of refresher courses on her, then sold her 4 weeks later for $750 as a walk/trot/leadline pony.

2. 16.2 TB mare w/ papers. Got her for free, she was a broodmare for 8 years with only 4 months of race training on her (that we know of). Ended up being spectacularly quiet, very very nice mover, no vices whatsoever. I will find out tomorrow if she is sold as event prospect, if not, I have 3 other interested parties wanting to look at her. I've only had her 2 weeks.

I think I'm done for the year after this one though, not pushing my luck!
    Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
    ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

Most of mine have come from the track...I stopped trying to measure "success" by the dollar figures a while ago because for me I usually don't make much, if anything. The ones I do make money on are balanced out by the ones I've lost money on. Anyway, I feel I've been successful when I improve a horse and find him/her a really good match. Right now I have 4 sale projects:

17.1 hand plain bay 4 year old
    16.2 hand plain bay 5 year old
    16.2 hand chestnut with Chrome, 4 year old
    16.3 hand chestnut with Chrome 4 year old.

I always pick horses by temperament first, so if they end up having no real talent for the show ring, they can find success elsewhere.

I love doing this; it is sad to see them leave but rewarding to see a happy new partnership begin.

I did it in undergrad instead of having a real job.
    Pony #1: 14.1 bay & white paint mare, (no papers) bought for $1200. Took her home, pulled her mane, taught her to do little courses. She sold 39 days later for $5500 as a hunter pony.
    Pony #2: 14.1 Chestnut and white APHA mare w/papers, ugly as sin--downhill, ewe necked, looked pregnant when I bought her. Paid $1200. She turned out to be a total ROCK STAR of a jumper-hunted the fences and had auto changes. She sold to a Pony Club family from Lousiana for $9k 6 months after I bought her. I still wish I'd held onto her! She was a blast.
    Pony #2: 14.2 black and white APHA gelding w/papers. Bought for $1500, did the western to english makeover and sold him 2 months later to my barn owner as a lesson pony for $4000. He know teaches beginner to intermediate lessons, and she (70 year old woman) has him going 1st level dressage. He's a saint.
    Pony #4: 14.1 palomino AQHA gelding w/papers. Bought for $2k. Despite the fact that he goes hunters, jumpers, or cross country, will NOT stop at a fence, is totally flashy and a lovely mover, I still have him 3 years later. Can't give him away in this market. I'll be taking a break from the resale biz once I find him a home.

Yeah I'm the same as atr. He was in a bad way but he was a nice horse, just need a couple hundred lbs. and a lot of training. It's been 4 years now and I'll never part with him.

I do hope one day to be able to take on some resale projects but I definitely don't have the best track record for that. They know a sucker when they see one .

I've been doing it for a while and tend to at least break even. I pick horses up whenever I have "that" feeling about one I'm looking at. It works out funny sometimes where people offer me horses for nothing (or next to nothing) right when I have space and time for another. But I've bought OTTBs at the track, been given "dangerous" horses or otherwise unwanted horses, and taken lame horses on. I spent many years taking horses that were broken in one form or another. I've finally switched my path to buying unbroke babies....much easier to get started

But here's the record of the really good "flip" prospects from the last few years:

#1 Going on our 5th year together with the last 3 years in the AO Jumpers (and I can safely say that she is no longer considered a "flip" horse ).

#2 Going on our 3rd year together and I just move him up to the 4'3" with plans to start in the AO Highs (4'6") next spring.

#3 Small pony I've now had for 6 years and who has now become my not-quite-2yo daughter's first pony.

#4 15.1h mare who I think will be able to do the 4'6" jumpers and thus was never actually "marketed" this summer. And I'm not all that eager to start marketing her since she's so much fun to ride!

So the truth of my "business" is that I tend to hang onto the ones that would make me the most money. As such, I work very hard to NEVER let my husband know what people have offered me for my keepers

Well...originally, I went to look at Nickel as a resale project. Like he's ever going anywhere now...NOT!!
    I do have one on my farm at the moment who is for sale...a cute 9 yr. old Morgan/Belgian cross gelding whom I co-own with my friend/horsey neighbor and we're splitting the profits of the sale after I reimburse myself for his feed/farrier/etc. I hope he can be someone's Christmas pony! He's really cute! I figured I'd better find a horse to sell, right after I realized that I'll NEVER sell the Nickel, so I hopefully get some $$ in to make up for what I'm never going to get for Nickel! LOL

Katja

Sometimes I wish I had one - I do not currently ...always looking for a great 2 yr old....
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I've had really good experience in the past. I've resold a bunch of my own OTTBs and helped resell a mix of other types of horses. I like to resell mostly fun, amateur friendly event horses.

I try to buy an OTTB gelding, 4-6 years old, 16.0-16.2h, dark bay with few markings and a quiet disposition. The most I've ever spent on one is $2.5k, mostly in the $1k range and have resold from $3-14k. I find it really, really worthwhile as I've had fantastic horses and have sold to fantastic homes who really appreciate them.

For the first time in many years I tried not to take in any resales.. and I have two.

One is a 16.2h OTTB that was not particularly being cared for and was given to me. He's had a really rough year and a half and at times we debated whether to keep him going. At his worst he looked awful. He's now doing pretty decently and sometimes enjoys running around like a crazy man.

My other is a 15h+ tobiano Arab/Saddlebred. I'd been breaking/rebreaking him (unknown history) for his owner and made a deal to take ownership of him the day he was due to go to auction. He's come a long, long way and is a fabulously cute, smart and brave little guy. I adore him, but given that none of my takers on the giveaway forum panned out, I think I already know his marketability!
    Last edited by LarissaL; Nov. 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM.