The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you tell if you have a good racehorse?

I have two yearling fillies, who are very well bred and gorgeous, but I have no clue how to tell if they are good for the track. Does anyone have any tips? I am more than happy to keep them as riding horses, but they were bred to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default How do you tell if you have a good racehorse?

When they are standing in the winners circle!

I've had horses that I thought were useless and they show up on race day and others that looked like world beaters in the morning but fell apart at the races.

How do you define "very well bred?"
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

They tell you. Whether they have a regal pedigree or a moderate to pedestrian pedigree. Many horses run way past what their genetics might indicate.
    Good horses seperate themselves from the average bear.

Quote Originally Posted by lily04 View Post
    I've had horses that I thought were useless and they show up on race day and others that looked like world beaters in the morning but fell apart at the races.
    Exactly ---- I've had a 3 yr. old that was eased in the "schooling" races in the morning and I almost sent back home to the owner as she just was & 'is' nothing in the mornings.....but take her to the paddock at night & she comes out of that gate running (well...finishes running )-- went right through her conditions. First start she trailed the LAST horse by 10 lengths but took off at the quarter pole & got beat a nose -- came back & win then 3rd then win, etc....

Had another filly that would breeze like she was the best thing ever in the mornings -- always bullets even just sitting there trying to slow her down -- can't find her at night...hits the board every now & then but just not much...

The ONLY way to know is to train & run them....Pedigree tells you a little bit but not the whole story. Been tons of horses that people pay millions for that can't outrun a pony & others bought for $200 that win a lot of races.....

In general, check conformation for any major flaws before you even think of starting them. Try to get someone who knows racehorses to come in and look at the horse, see how much development is possible, see how the shoulder is positioned on the horse (which I think is one of the most important factors in a young horse in judging its ability potential). Also, you can usually tell at a walk if they are going to have some ability as well. Yearlings who are athletic are more likely to be good racehorses than ones who are not, of course there are exceptions to any rule including this one. With that said, there are probably about 20-30 horses each year who sell for over a million dollars and never make a cent on the racetrack.