The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hind Splint injuries? Update: It's Broken

First off let me preface this post by saying I am a newbie, I have owned my horse for almost 2 years and ridden for 8 but as far as health and injury type stuff goes I still have a whole lot to learn.

The facts: mare is a 10 yr old tb, she raced til she was 5 and then sat around for 4 years til I purchased her.

At the end of August she developed cellulitus in her RH leg (which I beleive is irrelevant but I wanted everything known). She had a shot of cortizone and the swelling went nearly all the way down. Then during the first week of October she got what I believe is a kick to the outside of her RH and there was a small cut about 3/4 the way up on the back side of her cannon.

Cold hosed it for a week per vets direction w/ 3 days of bute and 1 week of antibiotics. Swelling went down some but still stuck around. Sweat wrapped it for a week and it seemed to "soften" the leg, then she hit the leg AGAIN on the fense (I saw her do it) and it blew up agian (this was last thursday). Left it alone for a few days and some swelling went down but there still is some that just won't go away.

Called the vet out very worried now, Vet says there is a chance that the splint may be fractured or broken and recommends x-rays or it may just needs more time and circulation (I haven't been riding her during all of this). She has never taken a lame step.

So I have an appointment to get x-rays next week.

Anyone have any experience with this? I just feel so ignorant and blind because I just don't know enough yet.

-sigh-
    Last edited by *JumpIt*; Nov. 6, 2009 at 09:44 PM.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

bump for the evening crowd...

!! is the new .

I am going through something very similar. My horse was kicked in the outside RH hock (and FL - but that's another story) - no broken skin. Initially the hock was very large and was not quick to go down and she wasn't lame. She saw the vet right away. I kept her wrapped day and night for 1.5 weeks as the swelling would start to creep down her leg if left off.

So she got about a week off but with hand walking twice a day. The vet saw her again 1.5 weeks after the injury and ok'ed her for easing her back into work. With work the filling in the hock would go down a bit and I was leaving the wraps off during the day as the creeping edema would go away with work. (about 2 weeks of night only wraps)

The vet has since seen her once a week for other reasons, his advice (since she is not lame) is to keep working her, continue to wrap if the lower leg fills, it will take time to get the edema to go away and expect there to always be a lump on the side of her hock as he suspects the splint bone was involved. Just before the injury I spent a fortune in x-rays so I have not considered x-raying the hock (but I am getting curious as it's been almost a month now since the injury and it's still ugly). Plus if I get an x-rays, I don't think there is much more that I can do than what I am doing.

Now I find that if she gets a day off I wrap her that night otherwise she seems ok day to day without wrapping.

I am also interested to hear other people's experiences.

STBChristmasCheer Guest

nm

Donkey - That is curiously similar to what is going on with my mare.

I feel like x-rays will give me a definate answer and will make me more confident in the descison making, whether it needs to be remove ($1500 surgery) or just leave it alone and let it work itself out.

!! is the new .

My mare got kicked years ago and fractured her split bone on her RH leg. The fracture was high, near her hock, and there was considerable discussion about whether to operate or not. The vets decided to leave it in (she was a very good patient) and we kept her on stall rest for many months. She fully recovered from the injury (lots of antibiotics) and she did get an infection at one point so any horse in this condition should be very closely watched. THere was a small bump on her leg for many years but eventually that went away.

My mare had a very long and successful career and is still going at age 15 (has been lame 2 days in 13 years).

I have known many horses that have fractured their splint bones. You need a good vet to make the decision about whether to leave it in or take it out and the horse needs lots of time to come back to full work.

What were the signs of infection? I worry because I've noticed a little heat the past two days and it was very warm this morning just above the cut. Do you remember how many months she was on stall rest? Other than swelling there are no other indications of injury ie. no bump or raised spint.

Here is a picture of her from Sunday the red dot is where the cut was and the swelling begins. The blue dot is where I felt heat this morning.
    http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...dy/Ladyleg.jpg

w/o the dots -
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=510596242

I know theres nothing I can do until we get the x-rays but it is really good hearing about other peoples experiences.

!! is the new .

When my mare was hurt, she was on complete stall rest from May to Oct.

One weekend I went out of town and the person who was supposed to be giving her meds did not give them. Her joint swelled considerably just above the splint fracture. The infection ate through the bone completely - we x-rayed it again. We were REAL lucky that it did not travel to the hock joint.

My gelding went through this about 3 years ago. He got kicked just below the hock and wasn't really off but the location of the swelling bothered me so I had the vet out. His splint bone was indeed fractured and he had a grand total of 12 weeks off. He's been 100% sound on it since aside from a minor bump that doesn't seem like it will go away.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

dani - How long did the swelling last?

!! is the new .

Well since my horse will be seeing the vet tomorrow anyways, I've put a call in to ask if he can take another look at the hock and to go ahead and x-ray I if he thinks it is warranted (way to play to my paranoias COTH!). I'll let you know what I hear, I should get a call from him later today and then the exam tomorrow....

Another $1000 month... *sigh*

Sorry Donkey...I feel for you.

Maresie-poo has already injured her 2 other big times this year, I can pay vet bills but it gets harder when she feels the need to injure herself back to back to back. -le sigh-

!! is the new .

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    dani - How long did the swelling last?
    IIRC the swelling was only there for 2 or 3 weeks. Then he was left with a hard lump, almost like a calcification, where the actual fracture was. Just a blemish now and I can poke on it all day with no reaction (other than maybe a confused look)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    IIRC the swelling was only there for 2 or 3 weeks. Then he was left with a hard lump, almost like a calcification, where the actual fracture was. Just a blemish now and I can poke on it all day with no reaction (other than maybe a confused look)
    Sorry to keep pestering you, but did the swelling only start to go down once the stall rest began? It has been 3 weeks for my mare since the original injury and there has been very little change in the swelling, though she is on 12/12 turnout.

!! is the new .

Just got back from seeing the vet thought I let you know what mine said.

The hock does look better than it did the first week of her injury, my main concern was about the fact that edema was still traveling down the leg when not worked and that the hock is still quite large. This is the fourth time my vet has seen my horse since she got kicked just under a month ago.

Basically (if I get this right)
    - when she was kicked it caused significant trauma to the top of the splint bone and has probably stimulated some bony growth in response (hence the solid lump on the outside of her hock).
    - if she had broken her splint bone I would have known right away from lameness and much more significant swelling (I thought the swelling was pretty significant, I'd hate to see it worse ).
    - if i was concerned about aesthetics (I'm not) I could take the risk of using DMSO and ??? to sweat the area but didn't recommend it because it would very close to her hock joints and could risk infection.
    - he didn't see any reason to take more x-rays and said to keep working her as she is sound.

So I'm going to do nothing other than keep working her,and keep wrapping as long as there is edema trying to creep down the leg. My girl is only 4.5, she had beautifully clean legs when I got her as a 3 y.o. but she's managed to bang them all up one way or another. She is very high maintenance!! But I love her

JumpIt I hope this info gives you some peace of mind until you get to see your vet.

Hey Donkey just thought you'd like an update, we got x-rays done and she broke her splint bone completely. Our options were either leave it alone or have it removed.

It already had a months worth of healing already, she's never been lame on it, and it is low on her splint. So we are going to leave it alone unless something significant happens. I'm only allowed to ride her at a walk for a month and hind boots behind to help prevent any injury during the healing process. Vet says that leg will probably always be big but nothing more than aesthetic.

So overall a good diagnosis, I mean if she had to break something it is the best thing she could have broken. I am defiantly am glad I got the x-rays.

!! is the new .

The best of the worst - I am sorry Jumpit but glad it is a positive prognosis.

You have one tough girl if she can break a bone and shrug it off.

Enjoy your month of walking - I am sure it will feel great to get back on her after all of her time off.

Good news! Sounds very much like my guy's injury. He's healed up fine and was back to jumping 4' after coming back in to shape
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate