The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default heel bulb injury care

So my youngster decided to be silly today and caught his front heel bulb with a hind hoof. Nice slice right at the hairline. It didn't bleed much, and we cleaned it up with betadine and then put some Dermaclens on. Wrapped it in a diaper with some vetrap and then put his Simple Boots on over top. Since he'd already been turned out previously, then ridden, I just put him back in his stall for today. What, if anything, should I do differently? I plan on unwrapping tomorrow, and going thru the same procedure. Thankfully (and almost miraculously) it's supposed to be rain-free this week. I should be able to turn him out with his Simple Boots on, and it should keep everything pretty clean.
    Cindy

Hi Cindy

I used liquid bandage on my guy's injury this summer and feel it helped. I bought the human kind at CVS and it worked fine. The horse kind is more costly (of course) but should also work. I also had my vet look at it (1st emailed him pictures).

Best of luck!!! I just bought Simple Boots for riding and love them so far. How long have you had yours and how do you use them?

Kathy sends

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    So my youngster decided to be silly today and caught his front heel bulb with a hind hoof. Nice slice right at the hairline. It didn't bleed much, and we cleaned it up with betadine and then put some Dermaclens on. Wrapped it in a diaper with some vetrap and then put his Simple Boots on over top. Since he'd already been turned out previously, then ridden, I just put him back in his stall for today. What, if anything, should I do differently? I plan on unwrapping tomorrow, and going thru the same procedure. Thankfully (and almost miraculously) it's supposed to be rain-free this week. I should be able to turn him out with his Simple Boots on, and it should keep everything pretty clean.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I've had my Simple Boots for over a year. I purchased them on recommendation from a close fox-hunting friend. She is still using her original pair purchased 3 years ago! I love them! I have an OTTB that I got this past February, and with the help of the Simple Boots & great farrier care, he has been able to remain barefoot! I usually only put them on if I'm heading out on the trail with him, but I do turnout frequently in them. His feet have spread so much, that he's just about ready to move up a size! I highly recommend them!
    Cindy