The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When are you ready to move up?

My trainer has been pushing me to move up out of pre-childrens to childrens. Yes, I know, many people don't even see children's as a "real" class, but to me 3' is not tiny, lol. My horse is ready, he's actually moving up to pregreens next show with a professional rider, after a very successful year in baby green's.

I'm jumping about 2'9"-3' at home, or have been for the last 2 weeks or so. I'm not nervous over this height, but I just don't know if I'm a good enough rider to handle full 3' courses at shows without getting in my horses way.

But it makes sense for me to move up. My horse is 16.3 and steps over 2'6", he really does not put any effort into it. Plus, prechildrens usually shows in the smaller/lower ring. He's just too big for the smaller rings, it's turn, stride, stride, "OMG there's a jump there!" I've schooled in bigger rings and it really is much easier.

Sorry for the book, lol. How did you know you were ready to move to a higher division? (not just 2'6-3', any height) Thanks in advance.

When your trainer says you're ready to!

Go to your first shows with the idea that you are trying a new thing. Smile and have fun.
    "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." --Leonardo Da Vinci

IMO...when you're routinely jumping at least 3" higher at home than you'll be showing over-when you are jumping full courses at 3'3" to 3'6", you're probably ready to show at 3'. But I'm old-fashioned lol.

If your horse is actually better at 3' and likes/needs the bigger ring, it makes sense to move up. Some venues tend to set jumps lower than the stated height, so look for those for your first few shows. Good luck and have fun!

Tell your trainer that you trust her and want to move up (you really should trust her) but that you want to practice jumping 3' courses at home for a few weeks, and let your horse get comfortable at 3' with her at a show or two first. Once you jump around at 3' or 3'3" and see the horse do it at shows, it will feel more comfortable.

Its really not that much different, mostly a mental stepping stone for people. Sounds like your horse is ready, as soon as you feel confident jumping courses at that height at home its time to try it at shows. Keep in mind that you might not put the prettiest rounds in the first couple times and don't let it get you down. Once you get out of your own head, the extra inches don't seem so daunting.

One exercise I do when moving students up a height is build gymnastics where the last element is actually higher than the height we're stepping up to, so for you I might try 2'6"/2'6"/3'/3'3" or even 3'6", with easy spacing. This gives you the chance to feel any difference in the way the horse uses himself without worrying too much about how to get to it, you just "feel" and realize that its no biggie.

Good luck

If you're jumping 2'9"-3' at home I would hold off on moving up to showing at 3'. Way too many people rush into moving up that I've seen and it usually doesn't end good, either with a sour horse, or an unconfident rider. If you're not sure you can handle showing at 3', wait a little longer to do so. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

If you were very successful in the Pre-Childrens you are probably ready to start thinking about moving up. I'm guessing that you would be moving up in the spring? That gives you a lot of time to get comfortable at that height. Sounds like a great move for you and your horse.

Thanks for the advice guys! Maybe I'll ask to school some 3' jumps at the next show. If I feel comortable over those I might move up the following show:-)

Henryisblaisin'- That would be ideal, I agree. But I don't think my horse is going any higher than 3'

It sounds like you are ready, your trainer would not tell you you are when you aren't. You've got to trust her I would start schooling 3'3" at home so you are comfortable at jumping 3ft.

It sounds like your trainer thinks you're ready and your horse is ready but you aren't. If you're nervous about moving up and you have a bad ride because you are pressured that would not bode well for your confidence.

Discuss with your trainer that you have some concerns and see if you can work through them. You need to be schooling that height consistently and comfortably at home. It would help if you know your horse is comfortable as well with that height.

Are you comfortable jumping that height at home? Can you walk the course of the next level and it looks small to you? Can you school that height in the warmup with no issues?

why not step aside, let the pro give your horse 3 foot mileage and watch the horse go around. doing 2 divisions is alot for the horse anyway.
    stay home and jump 3ft courses at home so that you feel ready. and go watch your horse jump 3ft.
    you will know when you are ready! your horse is green and you sound like you lack confidence. i would not try the 3ft until you feel really comfy!