The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

get the kitchen mudroom entry airlock as big as you can. You will need every inch! You could stock a number of slippers for guests. I know I appreciated them at my aunt's house, even tho she did not make us take of 'clean' shoes.

And the entrance 'airlock' is common place in German houses for example. usually holds a wardrobe/closet thingey so you don't have to clutter up the living room (I hate the American front door opening into the living room, there is NO WAY you can keep that clean) They call it Windfang - wind catcher. Nice to have that barrier when the weather is vile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Alagirl - dh's mom's side of the family was German, and now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall that we did see this in some of the homes when we visited many years ago, I will have to remind dh about that, he will get a kick out of that fact!

I always have the garage to fall back upon for excess stuff (or really bulky items), and if we go larger than a 6x8, we lose more view from nearby windows (I did have him put a window in these rooms, which did lose us some storage space). But if this size, with cubby holes and hangers and things neatly placed is not enough, we will tear out one wall next summer and enlarge these "Windfangs". I was going to stock big fat white socks that I planned to buy in bulk, but slippers might be nicer.

I love that there is a name for this practical solution, and that my idea is not so much outside of the norm for some places in the world!

ETA: when his mom came to live in the US, of all the houses they looked at, she picked the one that had a half glassed entry with slate floors built in front of the entry door (was not the norm for that rural neighborhood). I had forgotten all about that house until now - I bet this is what she was used to growing up in Germany.

Eh, you are still the rebel!

definetly one thing I would love to incorporate in my house, but the space and budget is limited (other, more pressing projects on the to-do list)

http://web206.login-47.hoststar.ch/c...d&productId=28

maybe you can find something like this ^_^
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by scpezold View Post
    our home has a central vacuum (. It is a Nutone. We have light coloured carpet mixed with a yellow lab,
    so hair is plentiful but not obvious). The suction is just not all that great.
    It is also old, but we have replaced the power beater brush several times. I hate it!

I wish
    Hubby came home with a dyson "animal". I would not be upset as the price is around $700 in Canada
    Italics mine! hum, well everything went to italics!

I am so sick of the central vacuum. I hate it, hate it, hate it. In the past years, I have inherited my MIL's Electrolux, my aunt-in-law upright ??? and I hate them all. I even have a shop vac! Friends with 3 dogs rave about the Dyson (they rediscovered the colours of their carpets!). I keep asking the friends to bring their Dyson over so I can try it. I will not be mortified, it will prove my point!

We only have one dog, but he sleeps on the floor in our bedroom and it shows. Same in the living room and dining room. I am ready to rip the carpets off and live with the subfloor!

Every time I look at the Dyson models, I am confused as to WHICH ONE is THE ONE every one talks about? with/without the ball?

I am trying to save my money, but there are always other things that take priority... sigh!

http://www.totalvacuums.com/

I keep watching that late night infomercial of this vac, can't come up with the name...oh, right garry in some spelling or other, supposed to be better than Dyson and Orek.....

Quote Originally Posted by 3Spots View Post
    I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.
    That's why it's called FURniture

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Hey now, my canister Electrolux Classic kicks ass. I can switch the beater bar off, vacuum my high traffic tile kitchen floor, run my bare palm over it, and it comes up CLEAN.

LOVES me some Electrolux. Best 600 bucks I ever spent.
    Remember when the Electrolux salesman used to come to the door to sell you bags and whatnot? And the Fuller brush man?

Hello?

Anyone?

My grandma had a Kirby that lasted her decades. Those things are awesome. I don't know if they still are awesome - but they used to be. Heavy, too.

I pretty much gave up trying to keep mud out of the house and bought a bedspread the color of Virginia clay. A few area rugs, wood floors.... and well I've just given up. Especially with project number 12,392 going on (renovate kitchen and old laundry/mud room)

Talking Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Eh, you are still the rebel!

definetly one thing I would love to incorporate in my house, but the space and budget is limited (other, more pressing projects on the to-do list)

http://web206.login-47.hoststar.ch/c...d&productId=28

maybe you can find something like this ^_^
    Those would be perfect for what I had in mind! I still have a rather blank canvas in those rooms, and need to think some more on the possibilities. Slippers might make my visitors more happy; yet socks are going to be more easily washed and it should be cheaper to provide multiple sizes...

I must be watching some of those same late night commercials - the vac saw is called the Garry vacuum. I was so enthralled that I almost ordered it on the spot, but stepped back from the brink when I realized I am too willing to fall for anything late at night, when I am tired and sore and easily convinced that it might make my life easier

I am waiting for the info-mercials to offer something that will make an easier job of getting the thick layer of white dog hairs off our wood stairs. I clean the hairy stairs by holding a cheap cannister in one hand, and sucking it up with the hose in the other, repeating every 2-3 days until I can't take it anymore and finally just let it go for a week or so - then repeat process. I am 51 and this is not gonna work long term!!

I'm Irish, but if I were a real rebel, I'd just paint those stairs white and be done with it

We just put in a new modular home. We are putting a 12 x 14 foot mudroom on as our main entrance since we have a farm. Currently I'm going in and out of the dining room door until the other is built.

I have a dyson animal vacuum and love it, which is ironic since I hate vacuuming. Had a conversation with the carpet layer the other day and he hates his kirby but is looking at a dyson. They didn't have the ball ones when I got mine.

Nancy!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRipple View Post
    Those would be perfect for what I had in mind! I still have a rather blank canvas in those rooms, and need to think some more on the possibilities. Slippers might make my visitors more happy; yet socks are going to be more easily washed and it should be cheaper to provide multiple sizes...

I must be watching some of those same late night commercials - the vac saw is called the Garry vacuum. I was so enthralled that I almost ordered it on the spot, but stepped back from the brink when I realized I am too willing to fall for anything late at night, when I am tired and sore and easily convinced that it might make my life easier

I am waiting for the info-mercials to offer something that will make an easier job of getting the thick layer of white dog hairs off our wood stairs. I clean the hairy stairs by holding a cheap cannister in one hand, and sucking it up with the hose in the other, repeating every 2-3 days until I can't take it anymore and finally just let it go for a week or so - then repeat process. I am 51 and this is not gonna work long term!!

I'm Irish, but if I were a real rebel, I'd just paint those stairs white and be done with it

LOL!!!

I saw them slippers on ebay for about 10 Euros, I am sure if you look them up, you can find them in Dollar, too Socks as back ups!

(yeah, you are a rebel, call yourself Irish....I smell Sauerkraut cooking! )

alagirl - I believe what you are smelling is the vinegar in the Sauerbrauten

For the last 29 years, dh has asked if I'd make two things - a rich dark bread (a pumpernickel? Roggenmischbrot?) and dumplings. I haven't yet found the right recipe for the bread that matches his memory (none moist enough), but am gearing for a go at the dumplings soon. I even blew it when we visited his Nana in Germany and failed to come home with any recipes (Nana was still cooking up a storm at 90, for a crowd no less!). I blame the schnapps & the enormous size of those beer steins. Despite these failures, we have managed to mesh well over sausage of any kind, lol.

To keep this horse related, his Kansas born dad met his German mom at a Nurenberg riding stable, where she rode a horse named Granaught (sp?), whose bit still resides here and is simply the largest bit I've ever seen. I'd imagine draft horses use bits like this, but how could they use such large horses for dressage? A bigger mystery to me even than how to make the ideal dumpling.

When she came here in the 50s, she got it in her head that a saddlebred would suit her dressage purposes, and bought some for her small stable. What a radical idea that must have been at that time. She passed away not long after dh and I met, and so Granaught and the magical dumplings have achieved mythical status in our household!

to completely derail this, Schwarzbrot lives and dies with the coarse ground grain. GermanDeli.com, is your best bet, I don't think you can buy the grain anywhere unless you live in Amish country.

As to the dumplings, give me a couple of days to dig up my recipe. You can also get the mix (pretty good on it's own) and add freshly shredded potatoes to it, but not hashbrown shredder, really a mushy way...

The essential key is, they take about 20 minutes to cook (when done they float) and need to be served pretty much right away.

And as to the bit...back then the horses, depending on breed had HUGE heads, Hannovarians and Oldenburger were synonymous with big horse, heavy WB/carriage horses, nor really draft. They still were worked in the fields back then. My family always had RSP horses and/or TB cross breds. And incidentally my stepmom makes some mean dumplings!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    to completely derail this, Schwarzbrot lives and dies with the coarse ground grain. GermanDeli.com, is your best bet,:
    Ooooo - thank you. I miss riding my bike down to the bakery in the morning and buying wunnerful breads like Schwarzbrot.

You and ChocoMare are the best. She gave me a link to a deli that sells Kohl und Pinkel.

Life is good...... nom nom nom nom.....

Here's one you might like:

markys.com

LOL, I got a catalog from Stieglemeyers on the coffetable right now, yummie German style wurst and meats

That would be so cool if you found your dumpling recipe, I would try it in a heartbeat - I told dh, and honestly thought he was going to pass out with happiness, lol I fear that website already has its hands in my pocketbook, as we both recognized a lot of things we like to eat but haven't found locally.

As to coarse grain, I have a pantry full of various hard/soft red/white wheat berries, rye berries and spelt. And a grinder that I've been wanting to test drive once the snow flies here. Would any of those ground coarsely work for the Schwarzbrot?

Just when I thought 2 of life's great mysteries were resolving themselves re giant german horses and dumplings, another arose when dh rubbed his hands with glee, and muttered something about his mom's most excellent pig's feet? Pig's knuckles? 29 years and you think you know someone. I will do bread and dumplings; I will draw the line at pig parts. But he cooks too, so I will encourage him to give it a whirl. Shudder...

I fear this could become totally horse related for us, because we both ride and coincidentally, there is a serious growing feral pig problem in our remote valley. While I made the connection right away, I don't think he has yet put it together that he might be able to mount up and ride out in search of a wild one. And I am not going to suggest it, either!

LOL, shoot some boar and throw them on the grill.

I tell you what, I will see what I can come up with in my cookbooks (German ones) and bread making books (also German)

Dumplings are actually easy to make, just a bit labor intensive.

I came back to check the status of the pigs and potatoes and found the board closed! So a belated thanks for looking those up, if you have the time

In the last couple of days, we have almost finished our little "keep the farm dirt out" rooms, all but the doors, which dh is making from scratch, and putting in the last windows and a bit of board and batten siding. Already, I've left my boots out there, and a jacket, and was able stay out of the wind and keep all this stuff outside where it belongs.

Now if we can just get the doors up before it snows, this will be the best thing we've ever done to keep our dirt out where it belongs!

Some seed corn, treated with fungicides and insecticides, was bagged by mistake for wild life feed.
    Several sacks were sold and used before they found about it.
    Two counties in TX are said to have possibly contaminated deer and wild hogs from that corn and they are advising hunters not to eat any shot there.

I don't know what that corn will do the deer or wild hogs, but wonder if the told them where the county lines are?

We have a Roomba! We use it in the poolhouse where it is flat and open and it does a great job. They also will fix it for you and have a great warranty policy, IIRC. We've been using it for 6 months and it has done a great job - it has sensors that will stop it from going INTO the pool, and just vacuum the carpet around it.

On another note, hubby installed a central vac unit in my barn and it is AMAZING and one of the best things we ever did - I vacuum all the cobwebs with ease, beams, and even their stalls when I strip them as a final step. No dust. Also, it comes with all sorts of attachments and a 50 ft. hose - which makes it GREAT to vacuum the HORSES with!