The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Keeping the "Around the Farm" home cleaner??

It's related, I swear!

Anyone ever tried a Roomba?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I've always wanted one of those, but I'm afraid it couldn't stand up to the German Shepherds. Got rid of all the carpet and went with tile and pergo. I also keep many rooms "off limits" to shoes and dogs.

I think it's legit... have an area OUTSIDE of the house (or in a garage,mud room, etc.) where you take off boots before coming in. Shoes are the #1 thing that will make your house smell like the barn. We have a tote in the garage we keep them in. Sure the tote smells to high heavens, but it's better than the house. I also have used slip on show covers for light barn work. Those are left in the barn or also in the garage. I try to wear coveralls when doing particularly messy barn chores as well so help tracking in.

Yep, shoes outside, and indeed I have inside shoes and outside shoes - shoes that are OK in the house and that I wear "to the city" and shoes that are for the barn. It helps if they're slip on.

I also have a barn jacket that is always just inside the door. Unless it's blazing hot, I always put it on before going to the barn, especially if I'm going to handle hay. Then, it comes off and goes on the hook. Whatever is going to fall out of it falls out by the door, and it doesn't get horse and dirt and hay and whatever all over the furniture.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have one that I bought in Salt Lake. It did ok there with 4 rat terriers, a short haired cat and not a lot of 'track in' but here in KY, with 2 rat terriers, a lab/setter mix. a Pyrenees that occasionally comes in the house, a long haired cat and LOTS of 'track in' its pretty well given up the ghost. If the dirt holding section was bigger, it would do a better job, but it just gets full too fast.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money for one in a 'farm' setting.

I have now, and had there, wood floors throughout.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

I have one. Be prepared to clean it out every day and take the brushes out for a thorough cleaning quite frequently. If you don't, it will die a quick death. It does not do a perfect job but it is does keep things "at bay". It is not really meant for the kind of abuse we Around The Farm types subject it to. I still use it though.

My current mud room is a back hallway...not good enough! We will be building a new house in a couple of years...basically the mud room will be the first room to be designed...the rest of the house will flow from the mud room and the kitchen!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Yes! I got it for a good price off woot.com, and it's great. Does its little thing all by itself, and does a good job, too. No, it's not AS good as scrubbing away with a vacuum, but I'd say pretty darn close. We have mostly wood floors and a few small rugs, and it copes with this fine.

You do have to move marbles, game pieces, and stuff off the floor first. If you have young kids, it kind of forces you to pick up--or make them do it. And phone cords need to be kept out of the way, too.

I'd give it two thumbs up. Caveat: we only have one little house kitty, and NO shoes are worn in or into the house--all boots and shoes come OFF before you come up the stairs.
    Click here before you buy.

barn shoes stop at the door. Good door mats that are bristly for those days you forget and run in for whatever. Tile and hardwood and throw rugs that are machine washable. Buy the best vacuum you can afford, I splurged on an electrolux classic and that sucker is the bomb.

I want a Roomba and want to hear more reviews of them, too.

haha. It was MOST amusing to watch a friend's roomba start up, come out of its little hiding place and then see cats scattrering and little dog chasing the thing. I have no idea if it actually did a good job of cleaning, and it apparently died of self administered choking episode when it tried to eat my friend's sneakers a few years later.

We vacuum every day with a Kirby. That is what two 100 lb puppies will bring into the house. They weigh 205 lbs when they come in. I swear they drop the extra 5 lbs of dirt and hair on the carpets.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

skip the roomba. We bought a supposed "pet roomba" that is supposed to be able to deal with pet hair. Well, not. It routinely clogs up with hair after ten or fifteen minutes of use and requires de-clogging; or you can spend time pre-cleaning the room before letting the roomba out which I find kind of silly. It's less time consuming and gets the place cleaner to just quickly run around with one of those cheap little "pet eraser" vacuums. That thing is great- it even sucks up clumps of mud.

I had one for a short time, and was disappointed. I gave it to my married son, and they're happy with it, but they don't have horse property!

I vacuum every day with my Dyson. It does a great job, but I don't like the hand attachment at all. For general floor cleaning, though, it's great. I have an English Springer Spaniel, and she's very hairy. I clean out the filter every other day and it's full of dog hair, horse hair, and hay.

Well, I have a Border Collie, who despite being a "short hair" still has a big ole ruff. I sweep every couple of days and it still looks like a long-haired cat got shaved in the house. Sounds like a roomba won't work...oh well!!

Otherwise, I don't let outside shoes in the house. That's all I can do for dirt. It's the hair that gets me down.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I agree that the Roomba is not up to the challenge. My dear children bought me one 2 Christmases ago- it was a very thoughtful gift from a 10 yr old and a 16 yr old. Someone notices how much I work around here!

I use the purple pet hair Dyson. I've had it for about 3-4 years and I would die without it. With 2 Labs, 3 house cats and all of the dirt tracked in from the yard and the barn by my family, I vacuum my kitchen/dining/living area at least once a day sometimes twice on the weekend. And, no, I'm not a clean freak and my house is never "clean"!

I agree with no shoes in the house, leave all coats outside or in a mud room (my garage leads into my kitchen so we leave everything out there). If you're lucky enough to have a laundry room right near your main entrance, try to get everyone in the habit of stripping right there after a really dirty job (like weed wacking or unloading and stacking a load of hay). I also have throw rugs near the back door where the dogs go in and out. Yes, I have to wash the throw rugs but it beats wiping up muddy/wet dog prints all of the time and stretches out the interval between full out moppings.

Sometimes when I visit my sister's house (she has no pets and lives in a nice little development) I fantasize about what it would be like to have a house that never has pet hair/horse dirt/hay pieces/mud in it. But then what would I do with all of my extra time?

There is a Roomba shop vac that I am going to try for my house. I'm not even going to mess with the regular Roomba.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I love my Roomba. It is not perfect but if you let it run every day in the busiest rooms it does pretty good. We board so dont have as much dirt as some but do have 2 corgis and a husband in construction. When we buy land we are building a HUGE MUDROOM!! (OH ONE DAY!)
    Pamela Ellis

I also got my Roomba from Woot.com. I LOVE woot (42 flatscreen, Roomba, Deep Fryer, Bacon Salt and just recently a Queen Sized Memory Foam bed)! My Roomba has passed the other household pets in ranking, Roomba is number one! "He" established dominance by chasing the critters away from their food bowls and smashing into them, declared "this food is mine!". Alas they have all made peace and live happily together. I have all hardwood floors and no kids (i think it makes a big difference!) Roomba does his thing every night, happily boop boppin around the house eating dirt, cat hair and pet hair. Though there IS a strict no shoes rule in my house, all shoes boots and coats come off in the MUD ROOM, very little gets tracked in.

I have an Electrolux stick vac. It's the reddish one that has a dustbuster attachment. I like it a lot, but I do have to take it apart occasionally to remove sticks and long blonde hairs (mine). It does fine with dirt, sand, dog and cat hair.

I try to get rid of shoes at the door, but I forget sometimes, plus I have three dogs and 5 cats. With all the sand that attaches to their little paws, the kitchen floor is just always a mess. I gave up keeping it spotless because I would have to scrub it daily. It's an older linoleum floor that has the shine worn off from sand being tracked in.

We are going to build a house eventually if we stay here, and a mud room is going to be a necessity. As well as an attached feed/tack room and a couple stalls. I am sooooo tired of my tack molding after a week of summer.

Oh, I also had a Bissell steam mop. For farm use, it's worthless. I would have to buy so many extra cloth pads for it that I might as well just use the regular string mop.

Heh heh. I love woot. It's sort of like Tack of the Day for non-horsey people. Only shipping is cheap.
    Click here before you buy.

If not a Roomba, think whole house vacuum.
    I have one, so do many I know and no one would give theirs up.
    Cost less installed than a top of the line good vacuum and you don't have any dust - at all.
    They can retrofit them in old houses, ask any good electrical company.

A shedding Malamute killed a Roomba in 6 weeks. Well, it semi-burnt out the motor. The actual Malamute killed it...shook it to death when it started up next to him while he was napping. Roomba rule #1, do NOT startle the 164# dog during his nap.
    I was disappointed with the quick death, but the teeny tiny little dirt holder lasted all of 5 minutes before being stuffed full anyways. Kind of a waste of money IMO.
    Tried the Dyson Animal. I would say it sucked, but the problem was that although it doesn't lose suction it never had enough to begin with for me. Not to mention it has crappy attachments so basically doing furniture and anything other than floors wasn't happening well. The furniture attachment wasn't powered by electric, only by the suction. So on tough hair really stuck the beater brush would just stop. Returned that one.
    Went for the $1200 Electrolux. Returned that one in 3 days.
    Went back to the canister style top of the line Kenmore. I vacuum daily, my vacuums get beat to hell because I'm a neat freak when it comes to pet hair and dirt. The Kenmore model I have is the only one that has a serious full electric powered beater brush on the stairs/furniture attachment, that still has a buttload of power when you extend the wand for cleaning ceiling fans, has the worlds easiest and best swap from carpet to hard floors and doesn't fling stuff around or ever spew dust. It allows my OCD style clean to happen, LOL! These last 5-7 years for me before I buy new ones. About $600 on sale and $780 regular price.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte