The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knoedel,

I am trying to not derail the vaccum cleaner thread again.

here is the promised recipe for dumplings plus variations:

First, you need to find a German potato grater, the American style does not work. It looks like it's been made by punching holes in it with a nail, squarish with sharp points, it's a knuckle buster, use with care!

Snowballs

2 kg (#4) of cooked potatoes cooled and peeled, 3 egg yolks, 2 Tablespoons flour, salt

Put potatoes through a meat grinder, mix with yolks, flour and salt.

Form into balls and cook in simmering salt water for about 20 minutes. The float when done.

Half and Half

1kg cooked potatoes, cooled and peeled, 1.5 kg raw potatoes, 2 eggs, salt.

peel and grate raw potatoes and wring to express moisture. Put cooked potatoes through a meat grinder, mix raw and cooked potatoes with eggs and salt, form into balls and cook in simmering salt water, about 20-25 minutes.

The grater for the raw potatoes is a knuckle buster, so use care and have extra potatoes...and of course, raw potatoes turn brown, put some lemon or vinegar on them to prevent that.

a little parsley in the dough makes a nice visual impact.

You can also fill these dumblings with either a ground beef mix (pre-cooked, seasoned to taste, like a lose meatball, or what we used to do with croutons...not seasoned but baked cross)

From the Mosel

1.5 kg raw potatoes, 1kg cooked, cooled and peeled potatoes, 2-3 tablespoons cream or 2 eggs, one onion, chopped (about a half an American onion) nutmeg, salt, parlsey optional.

prepare potatoes as above, mix with rest of ingredients, form into balls and cook in simmering salt water.

Serve with roasted onion and bacon bits.
    (I have not tried this variation, but it sounds like something for a cold day...not exeedingly modern with the bacon fat to serve, but yumm)

The Rye bread and Pumpernickel I have to research a bit more, but I am giving you the recipe for the Sour dough starter. It might not work the first time around, or every time for that matter...but when it does, you know it and it's awesome!

Mix 250g rye flour with 1/4 liter water and a graded onion. cover and keep around 80 degrees for about 3 days.

The onion can be substituted with 2 table spoons of sourkraut juice.

there is a lot of time involved in making sourdough bread the old fashioned way, enough time to clean a barn and ride a few horses or fence a new pasture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thank you so much, alagirl! I can do this!!

Quick question - do you think that one of the sides of a box grater might work? Otherwise I will google a german grater and get one, but first I am going to look through dh's mom's kitchen stuff. We inherited things that I'd never seen before, and I still discover the uses of various odd items that I've kept in a big box for years I just can't read any of her books, but hope springs eternal - I am old, but still pretend I could learn a new language, lol...

Attempt at making this horse related - I have time to try these things, because I've been sticking close to home to work out a very bad abscess that finally popped on one of my horses. In all my years of having horses, I've never seen one this bad. We thought it might go septic (if that is the right phrase) and we'd lose him, but so far, so good. So I've been baking up a storm to take my mind off it.

He is older, has one eye (lost the other to cancer a few years back), can't be ridden, so has no utility if you want to think about it that way, but he is a sentimental favorite up here, so fingers crossed.

The potato grater realy looks like you punched holes in it with a nail, anything that cuts strips is not o good, maybe that in conjunction with a food processor...but I have not seen that type of grater at my local stores, maybe a specialty kitchen supply place might have one.

Another one looks kinda like a miny welded wire fence, I need to take a picture of it and show you, even better than the knuckle buster, and even harder to find yet.

(popping abcesses and cooking! the power of COTH. hope your horsy gets well son)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The meat filled ones are wonderful. I had them in Kehl, and still dream about them. Maggi brown sauce is necessary, I was told, for the meat stuffing, as are yellow potatoes for the outsides.

Aren't they called something like kartoffelklosse?

As to the grater, I inherited one from my grandmother similar to the one Alagirl describes.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

alagirl - oh my, germans must be very tough because their equipment is scary; nails and bloody knuckles, oh my

My dog has had a second occurence of a sore throat, so I was googled what could cause it (originally, vet guessed maybe cheat grass had grazed her tonsils). Looks like there could be a connection between that and her recent excessive licking and how much I managed to excrete from her anal sacs (I hope you weren't cooking today - I already chased dh from the room when I made my discovery). So a vet trip in now in order. Sigh.

I just work the abscess, do the dog, take a long shower and put several hours between me and the animal care, until the mental images are gone. Then I can safely cook without flashbacks, lol!

vineyridge - do you mean that dumplings could be stuffed with meat? Like a german version of ravioli?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRipple View Post
    vineyridge - do you mean that dumplings could be stuffed with meat? Like a german version of ravioli?
    Yup. The ones I had were round, about half way in size between a tennis ball and a golf ball. They were served with a brown gravy. I still dream about them. My hostess let me watch her make them, and I still have my notes; but have never actually tried to make them. I probably should pull out the notebook and see what I could do with the notes. (naturally there are NO measurements for anything.)
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yes, Katoffelkloesse!

They are more in line with gnocchi tho.

(and I am not going to visualize dog and stuff, I promise! )

(and yes, Maggi is essential in many parts of the Old Country!)

Okay, those sound wonderful. The only meat type dumplings I recall having were when I ate dim sum, and I ate until I couldn't fit any more in. I am a sucker for a cart full of food on demand They were just the best, so I bet I'd love the german ones. I'd also bet we had them while we were there, but I don't recall it.

Must be the cold outside, because all of this sounds very tempting And look - no bad visuals nor bad smells in this whole post, lol...
    Last edited by TripleRipple; Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Knoedel and Goulash (not stew style, but like meat in gravy) hmmmmmm