The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My turn for Critque, please! :)

Since I have been seeing some posts of critque, I'd like to submit my photos for you to critque for me! Background is: Did H/J about 5 years ago and jumped up to 4'3". Stoped when I got serious at the track galloping and got out of it. Recently picked it back up on the side. This is my friend's mare that I retrained off the track and this is her 5th time really jumping. Pick apart what you like. Sorry about the poor jumps, we have to make our own at our barn and really arn't allowed to be doing it, but did it anyways.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...Jumping003.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...Jumping004.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...Jumping005.jpg

For fun, here is me 5 years ago:
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...rial/SHOW1.jpg

you look really good! your release is especially good- it's really soft but not really loose. The only thing I'd change is putting your stirrup about a half inch closer to the ball of your foot and wearing half chaps- prevents rubs. Other than that you look amazing, and the horse is really cute too!
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

you can ride my horses anytime! soft, balanced, correct - whats not to like?

You look really good! Work on stepping down into your heel over the fence. In the second picture I can tell you are stepping on your stirrup instead of dropping into your heel. Also work on keeping your shoulders up. At this low height, try to stretch up with your shoulders a bit taller and shift your hips back a bit more towards the cantle.

try shortening your stirrups a hole or two.....but really good!
    For your information, I do ride like a girl

You look nice. I think you look nicer now than 5 years ago Maybe a break did you good. (Even though you weren't bad 5 years ago) Maybe bring up your iron a hole and work on putting your weight in your heel. You are soft and balanced and nice, the only other thing I'd say is over these teeny jumps you don't have to bring your bum that far out of the saddle. Let the horse push it up just enough and don't push yourself to help. Good job though.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Actually, I think your bum is high and your knee angle too open because the horse is not using its back as well as it could, and its back is dropping AWAY from you at every point over the fence, causing you to stand a bit to stay with the motion and not get left behind. That being said, you appear to have EXCELLENT upper body control. I agree shortening your stirrups may be in order, but really work on developing some roundness through your horse's back on the flat and it will carry over to its jumping work. Also jump low (at this point) and considerably wide oxers from the trot (with placement poles) to help the horse learn to bascule and use its head and neck to assist in the jumping effort (which works well because from the trot they cannot use momentum, they have to improve their TECHNIQUE both off the ground and in the air.) They soon learn that the most efficient way of jumping is to match the bascule of their body to the jumping arc required by the fence.

Best of luck and keep us updated with follow-up photos!

I think you look awesome and I only saw a couple of minor things. I agree with shortening your stirrups a hole, and getting them more on the ball of your feet. Also just in the last picture you were a little low with your body. Looks great though!

Quote Originally Posted by LudgerFan View Post
    Actually, I think your bum is high and your knee angle too open because the horse is not using its back as well as it could, and its back is dropping AWAY from you at every point over the fence, causing you to stand a bit to stay with the motion and not get left behind. That being said, you appear to have EXCELLENT upper body control. I agree shortening your stirrups may be in order, but really work on developing some roundness through your horse's back on the flat and it will carry over to its jumping work. Also jump low (at this point) and considerably wide oxers from the trot (with placement poles) to help the horse learn to bascule and use its head and neck to assist in the jumping effort (which works well because from the trot they cannot use momentum, they have to improve their TECHNIQUE both off the ground and in the air.) They soon learn that the most efficient way of jumping is to match the bascule of their body to the jumping arc required by the fence.

Best of luck and keep us updated with follow-up photos!
    We actually used those trot poles the other day and it worked great! Had one before the jump and one after. I could really feel the mare round up and nice.

We have a clinic coming up this Sunday, however I am taking my 5yo Gelding that I just started jumping a few months ago. I know the clinic will help us out a great deal and I could really use the "ground person" to help me out a bit! (Trainers at our barn are good for nothing!) LOL Thanks all!

I think everyone else has covered what I'd say. Nothing too serious Cute mare! I used to ride at the fairgrounds too! (Well I still do when I'm not in school)

Agree with Ludgerfan. Bum too high - instead of lifting your butt out of the saddle - shift your weight and bend forward from your hips. More difficult to do, but it gives you a greater degree of control over your mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Junkie View Post
    try shortening your stirrups a hole or two.....but really good!
    Agreed.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

You look pretty damn good for being out of jumping for awhile. I'd agree with the poster who said shorten your stirrups a hole or two. I don't think you are jumping ahead all that much...I think it's more that your stirrups are too long and that can cause you to throw your body forward.

Not fond of the horse's jumping style, but these small jumps aren't really challenging the horse to use itself correctly. It might use it's front end a bit better over a bigger jump - hard to tell.

Hope you are enjoying getting back to jumping again!